• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Has anyone sent CGC a book graded by someone else? Does CGC typically honor the grade?
7 7

45 posts in this topic

What you are looking for is what is called a Crossover Grade.  CGC had a discount promotion for those a while back, now expired: https://www.cgccomics.com/news/article/6924/

The pricing now is the same as it would be if you submitted it raw.  Once removed from the holder, it will be graded as if it has no previous history of being graded.

You are taking a big chance if you have it graded at CGC.  As a 9.8 CBCS, it likely will sell for a bit less than the same comic in a CGC holder, just the buying public's perception.  But to get it re-graded and it becomes a CGC 9.6 or lower, you might set yourself back even more.  That book is a NGTLTH (Never Going To Leave The Holder).  It got its 9.8, don't tempt fate.

On 2/12/2022 at 12:21 PM, Robot Man said:

I recently purchased my first graded book from a certain “infamous” grading company in the Pacific Northwest.

Really wanted the book and got it for a good price.

Thought about keeping it slabbed just as an example of this company.

But, if I ever sold it, would I do it a dis service keeping it in this slab?

Not particularly a book I need to read. 

I've only purchased one book from that infamous company, and I probably paid a little more than I would have been willing to pay for a raw copy online. I knew that there was a small risk that the company could miss resto, so I ended up submitting it to CGC. I received a Universal label with the same grade and page quality.

I'm not sure why someone would pay more for a raw copy—unless you think the grade was too strict. (Although I've never heard tell of a dealer grading his raw stock more loosely than CGC grades books; every dealer I've encountered grades his raw stock extremely strictly.)

On 2/12/2022 at 8:43 PM, jimbo_7071 said:

I've only purchased one book from that infamous company, and I probably paid a little more than I would have been willing to pay for a raw copy online. I knew that there was a small risk that the company could miss resto, so I ended up submitting it to CGC. I received a Universal label with the same grade and page quality.

I'm not sure why someone would pay more for a raw copy—unless you think the grade was too strict. (Although I've never heard tell of a dealer grading his raw stock more loosely than CGC grades books; every dealer I've encountered grades his raw stock extremely strictly.)

When he had a YouTube account, Bedrock posted a video about CBCS vs. CGC, in which he said, "CGC graded books tend to bring a little bit more return on the dollar. And, in certain areas, we've even found that books raw sell a little better than graded." My guess is, the other company would also share that distinction.

On 2/12/2022 at 9:59 AM, Roger66 said:

they might as well merge and become CGCCBCS

Let's get rid of some of the repeating letters.

How about CGCCBCS becomes CGC-BS? hm

On 2/12/2022 at 10:40 PM, MBFan said:

When he had a YouTube account, Bedrock posted a video about CBCS vs. CGC, in which he said, "CGC graded books tend to bring a little bit more return on the dollar. And, in certain areas, we've even found that books raw sell a little better than graded." My guess is, the other company would also share that distinction.

Interesting. But does that mean a higher price or just a better return on the investment (which would be lower for raw books)?

It probably doesn't make sense to slab certain books—I always wonder what someone was thinking when I see a slabbed 1.5 random funny animal book on eBay—but I still don't think I'd crack out a book to sell it raw.

On 2/12/2022 at 9:49 PM, jimbo_7071 said:

Interesting. But does that mean a higher price or just a better return on the investment (which would be lower for raw books)?

It probably doesn't make sense to slab certain books—I always wonder what someone was thinking when I see a slabbed 1.5 random funny animal book on eBay—but I still don't think I'd crack out a book to sell it raw.

Richard would have to speak for himself, and the video is no longer online, but I believe the video was mainly about cracking open CBCS slabs, and the point was that he found cracked-out books sometimes sold better than they would have had he left them in the slab.

On 2/12/2022 at 6:11 AM, KCode98 said:

I'm looking at a CBCS book that is a 9.8 and everything I can see says that it would be a 9.8 but I would like to send it into CGC to have them grade and slab it. What is the likelihood that they will honor the grade and it will be a CGC 9.8? How often do people do this?

Don't waste your time reslabbing/regrading 9.8 books. Spend the money on more comics or by having something else graded. 

On 2/12/2022 at 6:14 AM, DocHoppus182 said:

I don’t know of a percentage if that’s what you mean.  I’ve seen people submit books from the other company and get lower, the same and once in a while, a higher grade.  It really is a toss up.

This was my experience with sending in some PGX books to CGC. Most did keep the same, two went down and one, Iron Man 128 actually went from a 9.2 to a 9.4. 

On 2/12/2022 at 6:11 AM, KCode98 said:

What is the likelihood that they will honor the grade and it will be a CGC 9.8?

I’ve seen people submit books from the other company and get lower, the same and once in a while, a higher grade.  It really is a toss up.

Not sure what some of you are thinking here, but in theory they are supposed to grade each book from scratch (i.e. from the point of view that it had not been graded before.  Of course, not sure if this is what actually happens in reality though.  (shrug)

Makes no sense that you would think CGC would honor the grade from a competing company when they do not even honor previously graded CGC books from their own company as grading is still more of an art then an exact science, coupled with the fact that their undisclosed grading standards tend to change over time.  hm

On 2/13/2022 at 3:38 AM, lou_fine said:

Not sure what some of you are thinking here, but in theory they are supposed to grade each book from scratch (i.e. from the point of view that it had not been graded before.  Of course, not sure if this is what actually happens in reality though.  (shrug)

Makes no sense that you would think CGC would honor the grade from a competing company when they do not even honor previously graded CGC books from their own company as grading is still more of an art then an exact science, coupled with the fact that their undisclosed grading standards tend to change over time.  hm

Not sure why you quoted me.  Where did I say I thought CGC would honor the grade if a book was sent in slabbed?

Edited by DocHoppus182
Grammar

On 2/13/2022 at 6:26 AM, DocHoppus182 said:

Not sure why you quoted me.  Where did I say I thought CGC would honor the grade if a book was sent in slabbed?

Well, I guess the comment from your original post would have been more complete and accurate if you had also included the following which I have highlighted in bold:  (thumbsu

I’ve seen people submit books from the other company and also their own company and get lower, the same and once in a while, a higher grade.  It really is a toss up.