• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Any thoughts on Rally Rd?
1 1

128 posts in this topic

Tell you what.  They next big book a boardie wants to sell here, I'll go in 1/1,000 with 1,000 other boardies.  I'll hold it, write off the expenses of storage, legal fees, taxes, my salary etc. under my (to be formed company).  When we sell it for say, 2x purchase price in 40 or 50 years, I'll redistributed said funds by 1/1,000 less said expenses.

On 2/13/2022 at 7:41 AM, batman_fan said:
On 2/13/2022 at 7:29 AM, D84 said:

You subsidize their collection by purchasing shares.

Short, sweet, and to the point.

Well, I guess anybody who had purchased share(s) in their CGC 9.8 graded copy of TMNT 1 at somewhere in the mid $60K's must be pretty happy right about now.  :banana:  :whee:

Honestly, RallyRd had great timing. They started right as collectible markets went crazy. So I'm sure allot of people made money on comics and Sports cards. 

It will be interesting to see how sustainable it is as the market returns to more normal levels.  

On 2/14/2022 at 12:02 PM, KCOComics said:

It will be interesting to see how sustainable it is as the market returns to more normal levels.

Has this happened?  Because I'm not seeing it, despite the many premature announcements of the death of the market (particularly the sports card market).

On 2/14/2022 at 2:11 AM, tth2 said:

Has this happened?  Because I'm not seeing it, despite the many premature announcements of the death of the market (particularly the sports card market).

Oh, I'm not saying anything is dead. My point was I imagine if you bought shares of most SA keys in 2020 your feeling pretty good today.  But I don't think you'll see a book like Xmen 1 grow 500% over the next year like we did last year. Will people want shares of an X1 when you are seeing 5% -7% growth for 5 years?

To clarify, all of the numbers I used are illustrative. Not meant to be a prediction or adjusting for movie hype, or saying there is a bubble or anything else. 

Edited by KCOComics

It looks like you can trade your "shares" in the books. I am tempted to sign up and play on the CGC 8.0 Batman #1 they are currently advertising. At $10 per "share" it is not much, and if it works may be another way to invest in the hobby.

On 3/7/2022 at 11:21 AM, kimik said:

At $10 per "share" it is not much, and if it works may be another way to invest in the hobby.

Yes, definitely another avenue for potential buyers and sellers to buy and/or sell, investment wise that is, their vintage collectible comic books.  (thumbsu

Hopefully, you got a chance to peruse the legal prospectus for this Batman 1 in order to know all of the in's and out's before putting your money in.  hm

Definitely do your homework with this. I've read a few people who invested complained that Rally would hold their funds for a long period of time and would not deposit it into their accounts after selling their share(s) for a profit. Not sure why and if at all accurate. Just sharing from social media. 

On 3/7/2022 at 1:49 PM, lou_fine said:

Yes, definitely another avenue for potential buyers and sellers to buy and/or sell, investment wise that is, their vintage collectible comic books.  (thumbsu

Hopefully, you got a chance to peruse the legal prospectus for this Batman 1 in order to know all of the in's and out's before putting your money in.  hm

I have not looked into it more seriously yet but definitely will before putting any money in.

What I do find interesting, though, is that I received the notice about the CGC 8.0 Batman #1 from the Beckett Partner Services and all of the comics listed by Rally are CGC graded, not CBCS. lol 

On 2/14/2022 at 6:10 AM, KCOComics said:

Oh, I'm not saying anything is dead. My point was I imagine if you bought shares of most SA keys in 2020 your feeling pretty good today.  But I don't think you'll see a book like Xmen 1 grow 500% over the next year like we did last year. Will people want shares of an X1 when you are seeing 5% -7% growth for 5 years?

To clarify, all of the numbers I used are illustrative. Not meant to be a prediction or adjusting for movie hype, or saying there is a bubble or anything else. 

Another issue is, how liquid are those shares? If I want to sell a high-grade GA comic book, I can sell it. If I got into a bidding war and paid a lot, then I might take a loss, but I can find a buyer at some price. I wouldn't know how to go about trying to find a buyer for X shares of some book.

On 3/8/2022 at 3:18 AM, nearmint said:

I don't get it. Does Rally sell the book after a certain amount of time and you profit then?  

They can.  I can't be bothered to see how the decision-making process is governed, but their assets can be sold off with the proceeds being distributed to stakeholders.  They've done that with sports cards they own.