• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Whatnot App
2 2

38 posts in this topic

I sell on whatnot ..Its an easier app to sell under $100 and below books.  Big books are harder to sell or need be used  in a game type auction.  The hard part of the app is you need have a personality as it’s a live auction to help sell the books, just like ig or Facebook IMO.  One plus is when something’s sells  it’s paid for right away unlike ig etc 

I have been watching this app for awhile.  I purchased a couple of items, low end older stuff so I was not expecting 9.8 and getting 6.5.  It is a true wild west and I applied to sell on the app a long time ago, but have not heard anything.  If people want to pay stoopid money for junk I have a ton of that and I will gladly sell to them.  :insane: 

On 2/25/2022 at 10:16 PM, toro said:

I have been watching this app for awhile.  I purchased a couple of items, low end older stuff so I was not expecting 9.8 and getting 6.5.  It is a true wild west and I applied to sell on the app a long time ago, but have not heard anything.  If people want to pay stoopid money for junk I have a ton of that and I will gladly sell to them.  :insane: 

Your email client may have detected it as spam 🤷🏻‍♂️

On 2/15/2022 at 8:21 PM, Sigur Ros said:

If you just have money you want to spend then Popshop and Whatnot are fine.... assuming someone sells something you actually want.  It's just a bunch of random books going up for auction.  No search function, no pictures of the book to evaluate condition, just people waving books around in front of the camera while using the word "fire" over and over.  If you're looking for specific books you want, then that isn't the place.

Plus, I'm convinced people who sell on Whatnot are strongly encouraged to ridiculously over-hype Whatnot.  I've stopped following other collectors on IG simply because of this.

I prefer a place where I can search for specific books, look at the conditions of each and decide how much I'm willing to pay.

All of this has been my impression as well.  My LCS does whatnot auctions and keeps trying to get me to watch, but I'm looking for very specific books.  I'm not keeping the app on in the background just to see if maybe something I'm interested in shows up.  

Plus, I can't stand loudmouths.  

Was just browsing around on whatnot today.  I'm flabbergasted at the prices some of these people were paying.  Watched books I can regularly buy for 5 bucks selling for 30 to 50.  I have to assume some of these buyers are people the dealer knows that are trying to become their best friend lol.  The one dealer has a good idea, get a pretty girl to do your auction and men will bid thinking she might date them, at least that has to be why the quarter bin books are being bought up from her.  

On 4/8/2022 at 4:19 PM, DiamondCityComics said:

Was just browsing around on whatnot today.  I'm flabbergasted at the prices some of these people were paying.  Watched books I can regularly buy for 5 bucks selling for 30 to 50.  I have to assume some of these buyers are people the dealer knows that are trying to become their best friend lol.  The one dealer has a good idea, get a pretty girl to do your auction and men will bid thinking she might date them, at least that has to be why the quarter bin books are being bought up from her.  

Doesn't sound any different than facebook live sales. 

If I ever do get to sell on this app, I have to remember.  90s shiny covers sell.  You also have to say "WOW! That cover is sooo sick!"  and say it about twice for ever book.  Also would probably try some of the 20 seconds shotgun style auctions, the ones that don't extend the time.  The books at best are worth $3, but everyone tries to snipe it at the end and it will sell for $10.

On 4/8/2022 at 3:24 PM, toro said:

If I ever do get to sell on this app, I have to remember.  90s shiny covers sell. 

Yeah, it's amazing how 90's drek (or what we used to call drek) now sells for silly dumb money. And if it has a foil cover or shiny card or the like it will sell for more. Like X-Force 1, X-Men #1, Darkhawk, Black Axe, Night Thrasher, Scarlet Spider, Punisher, etc, etc. Put together a full set of X-Men A-E #1 covers and you'll probably get $30-40.Not a day goes by that I'm not surprised.

On 4/8/2022 at 9:33 PM, Kramerica said:

Yeah, it's amazing how 90's drek (or what we used to call drek) now sells for silly dumb money. And if it has a foil cover or shiny card or the like it will sell for more. Like X-Force 1, X-Men #1, Darkhawk, Black Axe, Night Thrasher, Scarlet Spider, Punisher, etc, etc. Put together a full set of X-Men A-E #1 covers and you'll probably get $30-40.Not a  day goes by that I'm not surprised.

My LCS puts together X-Men #1 covers A-E and sells them for $34.99 on ebay.   he has almost an endless supply of them.

On 4/8/2022 at 4:19 PM, DiamondCityComics said:

Yep. Complete nonsense. 

So thinking of trying to sell on there.

Is it all live shows or can people sell without having to do it live.

I was trying to use the app to browse listings and all I saw was live shows (I am in Canada if it makes a difference)

On 6/11/2022 at 10:11 AM, Ares said:

So thinking of trying to sell on there.

Is it all live shows or can people sell without having to do it live.

I was trying to use the app to browse listings and all I saw was live shows (I am in Canada if it makes a difference)

there is a marketplace there now but more live auctions with buy now options on items in the store icon.