• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Taschen Marvel comics library Spiderman Vo1- 1962-1964 A silver age collectors dream
5 5

116 posts in this topic

The comics that were scanned for that volume all came from the personal collection of the fellow that owns the LCS I frequent. The book is already incredibly cool, but it just adds another level of interest for me knowing that I'm looking at my buddy's Spidey collection. They also scanned his early FF's and Avengers so we may have future volumes heading our way if the Spidey volume sells well, which I am suspecting it will.

On 2/19/2022 at 8:13 PM, Aman619 said:

did they have to sacrifice his comics to scan them properly?  or just crush the spine a bit?  or did he not care because they bought his comics first?  just curious about the process..

These are all high-grade GCG graded copies that were carefully cracked, photographed and then CGC re-slabbed them. CGC was involved in the process, from what I understand and no damage was done to the original books.

On 2/17/2022 at 4:17 PM, Mmehdy said:

The Silver Age GIANT  book of Amazing Spider man 1-19, Ann #1 and AF 15 arrived at my door via Amazon 20 bucks off with free delivery last night. This in my opinion is greatest SA reprint book every created. It respects the the comic book and is not a hyped up digitalized  color enhanced previous Marvel reprints  this is the real deal, the size, the feeling is classic. Just looking at those house ads blown up reminds of the days I waited at the newstand. As a 60 year collector, this book respects just than and gets my highest recommendation....there are some great video reviews out there which give you a idea how great really, but until you have it in your hands and see it for yourself.....thumbs wayyy up

pics would be nice...

On 2/21/2022 at 7:49 PM, Dave2739 said:

These are all high-grade GCG graded copies that were carefully cracked, photographed and then CGC re-slabbed them. CGC was involved in the process, from what I understand and no damage was done to the original books.

wow.  Im sure there are apparatus that can scan pages while holding the rest in such a way so as not to damage the spine etc. but, with every page of every copy being identical, dot for dot, line for line. dont know why they needed slabbed high grade copies. But I suppose they'd hate to use cheaper books only to discover a loogie on an interior page and have to get a different copy later. Retouching is good for that.  The purpose is to reproduce the comics art etc, and not be the perfect scans of a particular copy.  Must be cool for your friend to have a few copies of the book though!

"The collaboration with Marvel will be a decade long with many books on the horizon, including 2nd volumes of our favorite super hero stories.

Next up for 2022, we will be publishing Avengers. Vol. 1. 1963–1965 and Fantastic Four. Vol. 1. 1961–1963 with the next titles to be announced in the coming months."

TASCHEN and Marvel Announce ‘The Marvel Comics Library’

Edited by Flex Mentallo

Taschen also corrected the registration on each panel, as required, so that all of the coloring remained within the lines. It truly is a fabulous production.

What number did all of you owners receive? My copy is #1075.

The book is absolutely gorgeous...everything an (early) Marvel Spidey fan would want. Mmehdy hit it right on the nose with the description. I've been picking up Taschen books for some time now and they outdid themselves with this one. 

Much past the 2nd editions of any of the titles and my interest may wane, but for now, I plan on getting the next volumes. 

My copy is # 2,137