• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Torpedo con 2022??

86 posts in this topic

On 4/22/2022 at 10:33 PM, ExNihilo said:

$35 for entry?  yikes.

lol guess you dont go to many cons. a cruddy tiny one here in portland last year was over 50 bucks. sdcc is also $50-$60usd for mostly celeb panels and toys. torpedo, along with the late cal comic con, is the best con i've ever been to in terms of great comics dealers and no filler. $35 is more than fair admission. 

On 4/23/2022 at 7:37 AM, alexgross.com said:

lol guess you dont go to many cons. a cruddy tiny one here in portland last year was over 50 bucks. sdcc is also $50-$60usd for mostly celeb panels and toys. torpedo, along with the late cal comic con, is the best con i've ever been to in terms of great comics dealers and no filler. $35 is more than fair admission. 

Big cons like SDCC or Wondercon or FanExpo I would expect to pay $50+.  But smaller cons focused on vendors I would expect to be cheaper.  I go to Berkeley's event and that's like $10 to get in.  I thought the whole point of TorpedoCon was to get back to basics and focus on buying/selling books.  I realize they probably rented a large space so they need to pay for that somehow, but if you're not interested in any wall books, a $35 premium is going to be steep.

On 4/23/2022 at 10:42 AM, ExNihilo said:

Big cons like SDCC or Wondercon or FanExpo I would expect to pay $50+.  But smaller cons focused on vendors I would expect to be cheaper.  I go to Berkeley's event and that's like $10 to get in.  I thought the whole point of TorpedoCon was to get back to basics and focus on buying/selling books.  I realize they probably rented a large space so they need to pay for that somehow, but if you're not interested in any wall books, a $35 premium is going to be steep.

you must be misunderstanding what this show is. it is not a rinky dink little room with 6 local dealers. it's the biggest assemblage of top tier dealers around right now since terry cancelled his cal comic con. it's smaller than sdcc or wonder con because it's only comic and OA dealers, period. but it's a large show with a significant assortment of both wall books and longboxes too. 

in fact, i've never seen a con (other than tiny one room local shows which are not cons) whose admission is less than $30 or $35. this is well worth the price. 

On 4/23/2022 at 2:45 PM, Cobbledclam said:

Plus…… add the cost of travel, parking, hotels, food, etc to attending whether your a dealer or collector. The $35 ticket is a blessing cost wise to have access to the list of dealers, inventory and guests John has lined up. Hotel room costs depending on where one chooses is guaranteed considerably less. No it’s not like the Berkely show. Torpedo has upped the ante to allow access to more of the masses that either can’t get into SD, or are unwilling to pay the prices to attend if they could.  Most of the attendees are comic book oriented and enthusiastic about attending having higher profile comic book professionals and dealers. Berkely is not lacking by any means in the amount of books and quality of dealers that set up or have a presence in the national and international market. It’s gaining status with each passing show in the dealers that have been signing up. Keeping things as intimate as possible is getting more and more costly for the promoters to do so. Torpedo was started to accommodate the need for a venue to those who only went to SD for the first couple of days to hunt for comics and possibly get an autograph or two. And as one knows avoid truly exorbitant peripheral costs just being in the city.
The one day Torpedo show has turned into two days and then off to SD for a week of excess cost for most of the dealers setting up.  They need that extra couple of days to recoup and sell to collectors of funny books for funny books sake as chances are most of the people at Torpedo will not be at SD to buy. 

795581F4-19A1-4B2E-A1F7-EDE3C3D41C89.jpeg

E3DFD423-2D8C-49A0-AA92-082F12C8E926.jpeg

Exactly. Most of the SDCC dealers without the cost and crowds of SDCC. All the major big con circuit dealers show up. I can just get through all the books in the room with a little time to socialize a bit. And the best part…we get first pick of all the books going to SDCC before they get there…:insane:

On 5/29/2022 at 7:59 PM, Robot Man said:

Anybody hear of any more dealers planning to set up this time?

@MrBedrock?

I'm not going to be there this year. We have a couple of store events that screw with the timing.

On 4/23/2022 at 1:06 PM, alexgross.com said:

you must be misunderstanding what this show is. it is not a rinky dink little room with 6 local dealers. it's the biggest assemblage of top tier dealers around right now since terry cancelled his cal comic con. it's smaller than sdcc or wonder con because it's only comic and OA dealers, period. but it's a large show with a significant assortment of both wall books and longboxes too. 

in fact, i've never seen a con (other than tiny one room local shows which are not cons) whose admission is less than $30 or $35. this is well worth the price. 

They have creators show up as well, just to be clear. So not just comic and OA dealers, but this just further justifies the $35 cost of entry of course. I mean as far as the current list goes and who I recognize the most, Bill Sinekiewicz, Alex Sinclair and the great Roy Thomas is pretty damn awesome to see at a smaller con like this. I certainly have rarely had access to Roy over the years, and he worked on some pretty big keys.

Screen Shot 2022-05-31 at 9.01.29 AM.png