• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Great Lakes Comic Con Review

28 posts in this topic

On 2/27/2022 at 4:51 PM, StillOnly25Cents said:

the ask was if they were “selling” at ridiculous prices

it was a con, we all know they were likely “stickered” at ridiculous prices

I can't speak for the entire show, but all the big keys I saw were still on walls at the end of the show. My favorite was a guy asking 30k for a TOS 39 4.5. I didn't argue with him at all (I really don't like people being price police), so I just nodded my head, handed it back, and said "great book". 

On 2/27/2022 at 11:51 AM, Ken Aldred said:

The best one I encountered was at a Manchester comic mart a couple of decades ago, when I asked if I could look at a comic and was refused, the explanation for the intense distress being..

“Oh no, I just bagged and boarded all of them last night!”

I just put all of my money into my wallet last night as well......so I can't take it out either.

On 2/27/2022 at 11:23 AM, JollyComics said:

I remember them.  Many books are in great shape and good prices I bought from them at Chicago Wizard World Con few times long before the pandemic even they accepted my offer for large multiple books.

Todd's a great guy to deal with and honest as the day as long.  There were some heady days on eBay in the 00's that he was selling some sort of warehouse stock and had many, many multiples of all sorts of books- all in very high grade.  It was mostly mid-70s Marvels but I'm talking Strange Tales, Warlock, Savage Sword of Conan, Captain Marvel, Ms. Marvel, Dark Knight sets, Watchmen sets, etc.  All books that go for decent money now.  

I still have my Savage Sword of Conan 2 that I purchased from him which is probably a 9.6-9.8.  Back then, he did most of the grading and he's very strict.  I think someone else is doing it now and it's less so but still a great dealer to buy from.  (thumbsu

On 2/28/2022 at 1:03 AM, Randall Dowling said:

Todd's a great guy to deal with and honest as the day as long.  There were some heady days on eBay in the 00's that he was selling some sort of warehouse stock and had many, many multiples of all sorts of books- all in very high grade.  It was mostly mid-70s Marvels but I'm talking Strange Tales, Warlock, Savage Sword of Conan, Captain Marvel, Ms. Marvel, Dark Knight sets, Watchmen sets, etc.  All books that go for decent money now.  

I still have my Savage Sword of Conan 2 that I purchased from him which is probably a 9.6-9.8.  Back then, he did most of the grading and he's very strict.  I think someone else is doing it now and it's less so but still a great dealer to buy from.  (thumbsu

If it was in 2005 or later it might have been stock from the comic store I worked at from 1986-2005 (Classic Movie and Comic Center).  Todd bought all of the store stock when the store closed, including stuff that had been in the owner's basement for decades.  I'm sure Todd bought other store stock over the years, though.

On 2/28/2022 at 1:50 AM, JollyComics said:

Come and visit me. I will be your tour guide. You will find a perfect hideout. Maybe Beaver Island.

that sounds like a destination place for juggalos..., :cloud9: 

On 2/28/2022 at 1:03 AM, Randall Dowling said:

It was mostly mid-70s Marvels but I'm talking Strange Tales, Warlock, Savage Sword of Conan, Captain Marvel, Ms. Marvel, Dark Knight sets, Watchmen sets, etc.  All books that go for decent money now.  

Bought a bunch of Star Wars #2s from him that came back 9.6/9.8.  For like $2 each.