• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Did Facesmiles hurt the value of originals?
4 4

36 posts in this topic

Just getting back around to collection comics I had no idea "facesmiles" even came around. Now that I'm back in the game, while searching for some key books I've wanted I noticed some were WAY low priced. I thought no way...Then noticed all of these facesmile editions. The accuracy to the original book is stunning. So that left me wondering, do some people want the original keys but once these came around they were good enough and actually end up taking away traffic from the originals? Seems to me they could...

100% what Terry said. 

I pick them up where I can to have a reader copy of a slabbed book. I have noticed some variant covers for facsimile books recently that are pretty awesome. That’s a new concept that, again, won’t take away from the original - but is an interesting way to add some cool covers into the mix. Like what Image are doing at the moment with Prophet #1.

Edited by Arkham
The banned word filter removed a word, making it sound like I was saying something was bad when I really meant “cool”.

Hate them....Make it obvious like TRue Believers.

No but as mentioned its a way for scammers to pass off books as OG. Put WWBN 32 CGC IT the sale header. Hide that its a facsimile in 1000 words of legal jargon in the description...

Yes you should look at the pics but not everyone can tell the difference between them...Look at the TEC 27....

On 2/28/2022 at 5:49 PM, Pontoon said:

What kind of meanypants doesn't like facesmiles? They're something we need more of in today's world.

:smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile:

Indeed. Although I think he meant fucsillymes :)

If a reader or collector draws a facesmile on an original comic book, of course the defaced comic book is reduced in value.  Even if it's an issue of Watchmen.

This would not apply to comics icons such as Stan Lee, of course, who could've got away with a facesmile doodle as easily as he did with the classic spider-cockroach.  

Edited by Ken Aldred

Yes. The sales of ASM 1 plummeted when the ASM 1 facsimile came around. 

Lol.. 

Why spend $150,000 when you can spend $3.99 

Edited by Sigur Ros

On 3/1/2022 at 2:56 AM, dupont2005 said:

I don’t think they’re for the same market

Some will always want the original alone, others a combination of a raw or slabbed original to curate while having a facsimile or other reprint such as a Masterwork or Archive to read, others just the most affordable reprint.  Most likely has little effect on the way that range is skewed.

Edited by Ken Aldred

I'm going to be a bit contrarian and say that I do think facsimiles are bad for at least some of the books, especially the lower end ones.  AF15 or H181 or whatever, no, but there are a lot of facsimiles for much cheaper books--as just a few examples, Captain American 354, ASM 347, and Marvel Fanfare 10.  Say you just want a reader copy or one just to put on your wall or shelf.  Maybe you would have gone as high as $20 or $50 for that purpose on some lower end books, but then there's that brand new mint facsimile for 3.99.   I have personally done that myself in a few cases, and I can't be the only one.  And in general I sort of feel like facsimiles cheapen the whole thing and I'd like them to be reserved for only the very top books.