• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Oh Man I Sure Hope the Comics Market Never Crashes as Bad as the Stamps Market
13 13

386 posts in this topic

On 2/28/2022 at 11:31 PM, Spideyham said:

There arent millions of people watching stamp movies like there are superheroe movies.  I think we're safe.

Then why did Disney make that "Lady and the Stamp" movie? :makepoint:

On 2/28/2022 at 10:18 PM, William-James88 said:

This absolutely floored me today. I read the boards and I don't think people have a sense of just how bad a hobby could completely crash. Some were there when comics crashed bad in the 90s, but I wonder, is it as bad as how stamps (a once thriving past time) crashed? I had heard that the stamps market had crashed but I didn't get a full idea until today when I bought these below:

Image 1 - US MINT NO GUM COLUMBUS EXPOSITION STAMPS 3c 5c 6c 8c 15c 39c SCOTT #'s 232//239

For those unaware, these are the first commemorative stamps ever issued by the US. People were collecting stamps before, but stamps were basically just a way to pay for postage but in 1983, almost 130 years ago, they actually made stamps that had that extra collectability factor, leading to Stamp Collecting as we knew it in the 20th century. As a kid, these stamps were unobtainable. No way my dad would have spent $200 on a stamp for his kid 20 years ago. Even now, you can look up price guide values (or catalogue value as it's called) for these and see that they are still valued in the hundreds (link here: http://values.hobbizine.com/stamps/us-1893-columbians.html). You'll notice none of these above are used, even though not all are in perfect shape, they are "mint". If all were used, catalogue value would be around $280 and unused, depending on condition, would be over $1200. So these stamps above would have been "valued" at somewhere in between that.

Here's what I paid for these today:

image.thumb.png.8d005970a6236dbdd8089cbc27498ede.png

So literally PENNIES ON THE DOLLAR of what they legit used to sell for back when I collected stamps as a teen. This is a bigger crash than I would have ever predicted and just shows the fragility of worth if there aren't enough people participating in the hobby. 

Don't know if this will ever happen to the comic book market but yeah, major crashes in "asset class" collectibles is a real thing and I just wanted to share an example.

image.jpeg.242e3a00d372eb9b1d68d768ef260762.jpeg

Did the reduction in value happen gradually over the course of many decades or was their a black Monday type selloff in the stamp world?

On 3/1/2022 at 1:08 AM, JJ-4 said:

Did the reduction in value happen gradually over the course of many decades or was their a black Monday type selloff in the stamp world?

Wasnt decades, that's for sure. I was out of the stamp game for 15 years at least, so it happened within that time. I just looked into auctions yesterday after that hiatus. 

Edited by William-James88

Interesting post btw.  The comics market could certainly crash, there really isn't anything to stop it from happening and if it starts a rapid decline the heard mentality could compound the adjustment.  On the upside, cheap comics.

Edited by JJ-4

On 3/1/2022 at 1:44 AM, JJ-4 said:

Interesting post btw.  The comics market could certainly crash, there really isn't anything to stop it from happening and if it starts a rapid decline the heard mentality could compound the adjustment.  On the upside, cheap comics.

That was my upside, cheap stamps I thought I would never own.

On 2/28/2022 at 11:08 PM, JJ-4 said:

My impression has always been that the stamp collecting demographic was much older…?

Stamp collecting had too high a ceiling to properly 'get into'. You want to feel like you have something special, and stamp collecting as a newbie couldn't provide that. Comics doesn't really have that problem, especially today where every issue is labelled a key. 

On 3/1/2022 at 2:16 AM, JJ-4 said:

I would agree.  That said, how much older is the average comics collector compared to the general population?

Old.  But  I have a 4 year old who already loves Spider-Man from cartoons and costumes, so there's hope.  He even used Spider-Man diapers that I did not go out of my way to get.  It is pervasive.