• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Collecting During a Time of Inflation
4 4

70 posts in this topic

On 3/5/2022 at 12:45 PM, adamstrange said:

I would need garage space to properly store such diversified goods.  Until then, I'll have to get by with just my comics. :(

True. The only thing keeping me from more vintage cars is more garage space…:insane:

On 3/4/2022 at 10:32 AM, adamstrange said:

It could.

In the 1970s, the US experienced an ever-increasing inflation rate once they left the Gold Standard. Initally, the thought was that inflation would decrease unemployment and increase growth.  When years passed, growth stalled and unemployment remained, for the time, stubbornly high, the term "stagflation" was created to define the phenomenom. 

Eventually, people looked at the best methods to mitigate the impact of inflation, among them was a shift of assets from financial securities and stocks into physical assets (gold and land) as well as collectibles like coins, stamps and art.  In many cases, the rate of increase in these assets was greater than inflation.  

The Federal Reserve restricted the money supply and increased interest rates starting in 1979 to reduce inflation.  Once it was under control and the economy started growing in 1982, the flow of money reversed from assets and collectibles into business investments.  Some collectibles, like stamps, never recovered.

Price of a comic off the rack went from 0.20 cents in 1972 to $0.60 cents in 1982.  That's a 200% increase over 10 years, 20% a year.

On 3/8/2022 at 12:59 PM, Aman619 said:

Just a little older   Already in college for the big 20 cent era. And working for 60 cents. But by then k wasn’t buying much anymore 

I forgot how much older than me you are!  I was still in elementary school during the 20 cent era.  I had a fight with my Mom once because she couldn't believe I wanted to spend my entire dollar on 5 comics! 

On 3/8/2022 at 2:57 AM, tth2 said:

I forgot how much older than me you are!  I was still in elementary school during the 20 cent era.  I had a fight with my Mom once because she couldn't believe I wanted to spend my entire dollar on 5 comics! 

Mothers just never got it..  my argument was trying to convince her to buy a leftover 10 cent Action Comics after the price went up to 12 cents.  I did not prevail. I also threw out a small box of comics just to please her.  It lasted a day… just some Actions, Adventures Jimmys and Loises no doubt.  Not a big loss! , 

On 3/8/2022 at 2:57 AM, tth2 said:

My mother focused my attention on giant-sized comics, where buying in bulk stretched your allowance to obtain as many comic book pages as possible.

On 3/8/2022 at 9:06 AM, adamstrange said:

My mother focused my attention on giant-sized comics, where buying in bulk stretched your allowance to obtain as many comic book pages as possible.

Well, I certainly hope you listened to your mother then and picked up multiple copies of GSXM 1 since CL apparently managed to auction off a copy for $67K just last week.  :bigsmile:  :takeit: