• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Aren't grader notes included?

28 posts in this topic

I thought that grader notes were now included for those at the Associate level and above? None of the 3 books that I just received back have notes and I'm at the Premium level. I can understand no notes on a 9.8, but the 9.0 and 7.0 that were also in this batch should have notes. I've clicked the link within my submission and entered the certification number into the system and they all read "Unavailable". Anyone else having this problem or have they encountered it before? I'd think that a 7.0 would have something to show for it!

Yes grader notes are free with any paid membership....

Although the books in question have to have them available first.

They don't create notes for every book, membership or not.

If I'm understanding you. :)

On 3/7/2022 at 1:36 PM, Lirion said:

I thought that grader notes were now included for those at the Associate level and above? None of the 3 books that I just received back have notes and I'm at the Premium level. I can understand no notes on a 9.8, but the 9.0 and 7.0 that were also in this batch should have notes. I've clicked the link within my submission and entered the certification number into the system and they all read "Unavailable". Anyone else having this problem or have they encountered it before? I'd think that a 7.0 would have something to show for it!

On 2/10/2022 at 9:39 AM, Jennifer F. said:

Good morning,

Thank you for your message. Our graders should make any corrections necessary once they examine the book. If anything was entered incorrectly, the graders will update that.  If the submitted book is already in our system, you can also email or call us with the submission number and book information and we can put a note in the account for the graders just so they don't miss it.  You can reach us at 877-662-6642 or by email at submissions@cgccomics.com.

Thank you!

Thanks. I guess it seems weird to me that a grader wouldn't make notes on a book that received a grade less than 9.0 or even 8.0. One would imagine that there's a threshold where things would be documented. More so, that 7.0 grade on one book, came with a qualified label (which I asked, apparently unsuccessfully, that it be graded as a blue label and count the "unwitnessed by CGC artist signature" as a defect.) No dinged corners or bends or creases, popped staples, spine ticks, etc. on this book, just the unwitnessed signature and it gets a green label 7.0 (and the case is scratched and scuffed, as was one of the other books that came with that shipment.) Anyway, it would be nice to understand why the 9.0 on the one and the 7.0 on the other.

On 3/7/2022 at 1:56 PM, Lirion said:

Thanks. I guess it seems weird to me that a grader wouldn't make notes on a book that received a grade less than 9.0 or even 8.0. One would imagine that there's a threshold where things would be documented. More so, that 7.0 grade on one book, came with a qualified label (which I asked, apparently unsuccessfully, that it be graded as a blue label and count the "unwitnessed by CGC artist signature" as a defect.) No dinged corners or bends or creases, popped staples, spine ticks, etc. on this book, just the unwitnessed signature and it gets a green label 7.0 (and the case is scratched and scuffed, as was one of the other books that came with that shipment.) Anyway, it would be nice to understand why the 9.0 on the one and the 7.0 on the other.

I'm sure there is a "rhyme or reason" to what get's graders notes, I'm not sure what that is though lol 

Your assumptions aren't out of line, all I can say is some have them and some don't. Used to be, you could only have graders notes for free with your own books under your own account, now it's any slab with a cert and if you have a paid membership.

Anyone getting back books as low as that would "expect" some justification with notes, but while true, it doesn't always happen. Especially with moderns, I've sent some in that came back that low, with no notes.

Hope that helps :) to know you're not alone.

Grader notes should always be given or never be given. One way or the other a CGC graded book is a product and it needs to be consistent. This garbage of "Oh sometimes the graders don't feel like putting down notes" is Total BS. Have a magician do your kids birthday party and hand out balloons to just some of the kids and see what happens. Who's the bone head that allows the graders to pick and choose which books get notes? Glad I'm out of here in a week you guys really suck!!!!!

On 3/7/2022 at 3:00 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

I'm sure there is a "rhyme or reason" to what get's graders notes, I'm not sure what that is though lol 

Your assumptions aren't out of line, all I can say is some have them and some don't. Used to be, you could only have graders notes for free with your own books under your own account, now it's any slab with a cert and if you have a paid membership.

Anyone getting back books as low as that would "expect" some justification with notes, but while true, it doesn't always happen. Especially with moderns, I've sent some in that came back that low, with no notes.

Hope that helps :) to know you're not alone.

Thanks :)  I've sent CGC an email hoping for some explanation and it may be that the 7.0 with a green label is supposed to be a 7.0 with a blue label (and counting the signature as a flaw), and about the scratched cases.  This is my second order from CGC (my first being 2 books that came back as expected and without any scratches on the holders) as I'm new to having books graded. I've got a couple at the "other guy" that was sent at the same time to be able to compare...apples to oranges in this case since I have an extra process with that one)...before sending in the larger order I'm preparing. 

I appreciate everyone's insight :) Thank you guys!

On 3/8/2022 at 10:42 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

Agree to disagree. I think that the consumer needs to learn how to grade at the bare minimum level.

Why?  If you just buy slabs...all you need to know is the number in the top left corner. 

On 3/8/2022 at 7:42 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

Agree to disagree. I think that the consumer needs to learn how to grade at the bare minimum level.

Agree to disagree. :)

Why?? Isn't that what the consumer is paying CGC for?

They must have internal notes on every book. The only reason I can think that they wouldn't share them is because it would shine a spotlight on their inconsistencies.

On 3/8/2022 at 10:51 AM, adampasz said:

Agree to disagree. :)

Why?? Isn't that what the consumer is paying CGC for?

They must have internal notes on every book. The only reason I can think that they wouldn't share them is because it would shine a spotlight on their inconsistencies.

No, I personally do not pay CGC for grader notes. If something is in the NM range, I can quickly identify the reason that it received its grade from them.

On 3/8/2022 at 4:01 PM, theCapraAegagrus said:

No, I personally do not pay CGC for grader notes. If something is in the NM range, I can quickly identify the reason that it received its grade from them.

I'm not talking about paying for grader notes. I'm disagreeing with your assertion that CGC customers need to know how to grade.

I pay CGC for a grading service. Whether I know how to grade, has no bearing on the level of the service they provide.

If I hire a vendor to build a website, whether I could do it myself is also irrelevant. I am hiring someone to do it so I don't have to. If I know how to build a website myself, it may put me in a better position to evaluate whether they did a good job, but that has no bearing on the level of service the vendor provides.

For me, it add value to their service if they included notes for all books. I'm not saying it's a dealbreaker. However, even if I am an okay grader, it is useful to have the 2nd opinion. Notes are also helpful if I want to sell the comic. Indeed, I would consider paying extra for grader notes on every submission as an upgrade (like imaging). I'm sure CGC would love the opportunity to extract more money from their customers. I'm assuming it would take little effort on their part to include the notes, but maybe it's more difficult than I think. (shrug)

Edited by adampasz

On 3/8/2022 at 4:05 PM, Gaard said:

Wouldn't this be a probable scenario ...

Head Grader, "Why did you give this book a 9.4?"

Grader, "Hold on, let me check my notes."

Grader: "Sorry, this one doesn't have any notes."
Head Grader: "How about this one? 9.0."
Grader: "Um, yeah... not sure. Don't see anything in my notebook. It just kinda seems like a 9.0."
Head Grader: "Pack up your desk now."

Edited by adampasz

On 3/8/2022 at 8:46 PM, Pancakes! said:

How do you know what tier to submit under if you don't know how to grade? Just lowball everything and let CGC bump you up?

What if you think you know how to grade, but you don't?

I think the tiers only come into play if the book is above $400. But I think it is a good question. I would lowball, and let them bump you. (I don't think they would, unless it was for a super-high-end book.)

Also, I think most "bad" graders tend to over-grade, not under-grade, so it would be a non-issue.

Finally, their "Max. Value per Item" guideline is extremely vague. Based on what criteria? Feebay sales? Over what time frame? What if it is a rare book that has not sold in 5 years?

Edited by adampasz

On 3/9/2022 at 4:04 PM, Coverless 9.8 said:

Maybe now that they're not charging extra for notes they're providing them less often!  (:

Can't stand a grader with writer's block!  :wink:

Stahp.......