• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Aren't grader notes included?

28 posts in this topic

On 3/8/2022 at 3:25 PM, adampasz said:

I'm disagreeing with your assertion that CGC customers need to know how to grade.

If I hire a vendor to build a website, whether I could do it myself is also irrelevant. I am hiring someone to do it so I don't have to. If I know how to build a website myself, it may put me in a better position to evaluate whether they did a good job, but that has no bearing on the level of service the vendor provides.

I'm disagreeing with this.

If I hire someone to build something for me, I do not pay them to tell me how they do it. It's that simple

On 3/8/2022 at 10:44 AM, THE_BEYONDER said:

Why?  If you just buy slabs...all you need to know is the number in the top left corner. 

We know those can't be trusted.  Notes would be helpful.  It's unfortunate they're so rare.

I think anything that doesn't grade a 10 should have notes explaining why.

Requiring typed internal notes for standard grading would probably slow the grading process down. I'm not privy to the inner workings, but I would have an internal coding system or grading form on the screen that would be easily checked via touch screen or mouse click. (spine stresses - heavy, moderate, light, etc. fading - heavy, moderate, light). For most 9.8s, coding would be minimal. You wouldn't have to list every defect... Just the major ones that contribute to the overall grade. Standardizing grading notes could also contribute to future database analysis.

They should have a checklist anyway... page count, MVS or not for certain books, etc.

Edited by sckao

On 3/10/2022 at 11:21 AM, sckao said:

Requiring typed internal notes for standard grading would probably slow the grading process down. I'm not privy to the inner workings, but I would have an internal coding system or grading form on the screen that would be easily checked via touch screen or mouse click. (spine stresses - heavy, moderate, light, etc. fading - heavy, moderate, light). For most 9.8s, coding would be minimal. You wouldn't have to list every defect... Just the major ones that contribute to the overall grade. Standardizing grading notes could also contribute to future database analysis.

They should have a checklist anyway... page count, MVS or not for certain books, etc.

Would be quite easy to have instead of written notes.  Considering it is a DB now the linking should not be THAT terrible to accommodate.  The rough part would be converting the current data into the proper table and parsing it appropriately.

But yes, a simple checklist of the potential defects, how many, where they are located.  Heck they could even have a diagram of a book (front and back) where they could pop an X where defects exist.

Imagine getting a visual grader note when a book came back with restoration that showed where it is on the cover!

I volunteer sckao as tribute to overhaul the notes system. lol

They would probably be inundated with consumer complaints if the grader's notes came back dogeared with scratches on them.

On 3/10/2022 at 1:56 PM, Crops068 said:

Heck they could even have a diagram of a book (front and back) where they could pop an X where defects exist.

Kind of like when renting a car. Small diagram of the front cover, rear cover, and spine edge (for graphic novel type books). Grader circles the approximate spot on the diagram and puts a number next to it for number of tick marks as an example. 

Might be kind of cool, and we would actually have some idea, and to circle around to my original post/comment, especially when a book that has no noticeable (to the "untrained" eye) flaws, and comes back much lower than one would think. It would just be nice to know the why. My Silver Surfer #1 has all sorts of notes with its 1.5 grade. I didn't expect much from that since the front cover is detached, but it was an expected grade (or close enough). I expected that grade as it was obvious. When I can't even find a spine tick (I'm also distracted by how many scratches there were on the case after it was sent back to me, enough that CGC has it for reholdering), I'd love to understand the reasoning.

On 3/21/2022 at 9:21 AM, The Velcronomicon said:

What if there are problems inside too? Should the graders stop grading and take pictures of every page and annotate those too? :facepalm:

what percentage of problems are interior only?  and wouldn't notes as to what was found inside be ideal given the comic is in a slab?