• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How do I feel?

51 posts in this topic

In the art world (especially with watercolour artists) pencil prelims are undertaken before applying the colour wash. These are definitely prelims and form part of the final completed art.

Art is like gossamer,...not defined by technique.

You are an insufficiently_thoughtful_person.........

Not bound by technique, 893scratchchin-thumb.gifm.........let's see now, expressionism, cubism, surrealism, art deco, etc etc etc etc hate to say it doofus but art is definitely driven by technique.

You really are showing your ignorance here.

So your argument,..let me get this straight,..is that OA is not art,...

because 'the process'...by which OA came into exists,...is only one step,...which ultimately led,..to the production of the comic book ???

THAT IS A STUPID [embarrassing lack of self control] ARGUMENT (that is,..if that IS your argument)

kk

See...you can actually say things sometimes that make sense. Your so called OA is actually just a step in the PRINTING process. The pencils and inks were never meant to be kept. If they were supposed to be finished works then they wouldn't have stats pasted all over them. They were not created to be works of art. So which part is the most important, the pencils, the inks over the pencils, the final paste up, the hand coloured cover, the proof cover, the approval cover or the published comic book.

The way you talk and act reminds me of the gourd scene in the Life of Brian. You try and make a drawing (that was created purely to sell a book) something else. You try and compare it to the Mona Lisa or the Sistine Chapel and somehow this aids your justification for paying 10's of thousands of dollars.

I would give you more credit and support if you just admitted that you bought the penicls/inks because you wanted to own a key component of the construction of a comic book and have something that is truly one off.

Hey Mush.

Missed ya buddy. hi.gif

Email me sometime if you want to chat.

Alex

Hey Alex...I forgot to mention in my diatribe that my SS's are definitely not for sale either. I think they are a real value component of the CGC offering and you have the best available and the highest quality service. I have to get a couple for Christmas presents for the boys, so let me know when you have some that I might be interested in. thumbsup2.gif

Hey Mush.

Missed ya buddy. hi.gif

Email me sometime if you want to chat.

Alex

Hey Alex...I forgot to mention in my diatribe that my SS's are definitely not for sale either. I think they are a real value component of the CGC offering and you have the best available and the highest quality service. I have to get a couple for Christmas presents for the boys, so let me know when you have some that I might be interested in. thumbsup2.gif

Buddy,

Anytime you want to drop me a line, feel free. Personal or otherwise. thumbsup2.gif

Alex

See...you can actually say things sometimes that make sense. Your so called OA is actually just a step in the PRINTING process. The pencils and inks were never meant to be kept. If they were supposed to be finished works then they wouldn't have stats pasted all over them. They were not created to be works of art. So which part is the most important, the pencils, the inks over the pencils, the final paste up, the hand coloured cover, the proof cover, the approval cover or the published comic book.

welcome back Shroom! Stay this time!

now as to your argument with KK. Dont worry, KK is an insufficiently_thoughtful_person that just ants to provoke and brag. But, you stated today that the reason you left the boards was the dustup over your precious hand-colored cover stats. I remember that and I totally disagreed with you on it. To me they as exactly as you described above as your argument agaiunst KK as to what OA is---"preliminary" work of little value.

You cant have it both ways. If KKs precious OA isnt "art" or worthy of collectible status. then neither are your watercolored color guides which survived the garbage dump by sheer luck. Theyre both just means to an end. and the end is the printed comic book. IMO, teh OA has a higher claim than the guides do.

Aman you are absolutely right but the point I got the [embarrassing lack of self control] about was not whether hand coloured is true art or not but how pencil and line art buyers dismiss it out of hand whilst proclaiming their purchases to be original art.

Let's face it, none of it is art in its' most recognisable form. Pencillers and inkers and comic companies did not create them for general public purchasing. But in terms of the printing process I will stack my hand coloured pieces up against any pencil or ink drawing as being just as important to the end product.

Are they collectable....you bet they are. Historic and emotional importance related to comic book icons that only one person can own. thumbsup2.gif

Earlier someone said that art is driven by technique. I believe art fads are driven by technique. Generally, technique is created to further an artistist goal. More of a art drives technique. Now, in regards to prelims being by definition original art. I don't consider them original but the art part applies. I know, splitting hairs.

There was a famous beer ad in australia that was premised on the idea that when you have had a bad time that drinking a Toohey's would it make it alright.

Well it has been quite a while since I have been on these boards (as a matter of fact, I haven't been on the board in any form for over 2 months) but i wanted to come back and let you all know how I went with my solution to make me feel alright to the high grade greed and deceipt. I have spent a few hours researching for this post and also tried to catch up on the key threads and my first reaction to all of this is thank God I am not part of it anymore.

A few thoughts:

:

I contacted all the people I bought a number of comics from (that I could, in total I received a response from 5 dealers. These dealers accounted for over 60% of my slabbed collection) and asked them if they pressed comics and if so were any that i owned pressed. I received some very interesting responses and one dealer openly admitted that he would press a book if the situation warranted it.

Those books that were suspect were sold to a dealer as pressed books and were sold for the amount that I had bought them for (funnily enough all this was carried out in March/April of this year and I did include the 4 books that I had bought from Ewart in that batch.

As for these boards....they helped me a great deal and I have participated in some wonderful discussions with some wonderful people and if I may be able to mention a few: Dave Matteini - you are a gentleman and I hope that your Bat collection continues to grow (especially the OA), Burntboy - I won't sell your books as they are true gems. How CGC can technically support their gradings has me gobsmacked and as for the insufficiently_thoughtful_person who questioned the price that some of them went for, well all I can say is that at least I know that they are not trimmed or pressed and I didn't have to have CGC tell me so, Andrew Knight - You also are a gentleman, I started off on the wrong foot with you but I have always found your views to be well though out and of value, Redhook - You were right (plus you are a funny [embarrassing lack of self control]), Joanne - Funniest story ever written on these boards, your involvement with the boards was of enormous value.

Mush; thanks for the kind words and very glad to see you weren't "gone" for long grin.gif

get me the list of books you bought and i'll be sure that Doug gets you the COA's.

and of course i agree on the grades........what were they thinking????devil.gif

it's somewhat depressing to see so many folks turned off as of late. i think time will heal all wounds and i hope it doesn't take forever. buy what you like and screw labels if you're not into them.............. sumo.gif

I still love comics , but I am falling out of love with this board

Just do what I do. Take note of the latest controversy, then tune out the 10,000 retarded responses that add nothing to the discussion and do nothing about the problem. Focus on the threads that are actually about comics and not about what they are worth and not about what's being done to them.

takeit.gif893applaud-thumb.gifthumbsup2.gif