• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC vs CBCS.... Nuff said!
3 3

21 posts in this topic

I respect the innovator. CBCS is just a copycat. I have 400+ graded books and they are all CGC. I can barely handle an old label and a new label being displayed next to each other, let alone a different company. I don't buy to sell, but if I did I'd only deal in CGC. I think there are lots of buyers who don't even look at CBCS.

If one is purchasing a book in person there are good bargains to be had with CBCS slabs. Still one of the original intents of slabbing was to bring confidence to internet sales, as most know you can only tell so much from a scan compared to holding the graded book slab in hand.

I've seen many CGC 9.8 slabs which the books inside are at best 9.6 on a good day, but for me personally I see that even more with CBCS 9.8's.  The experiences of others may differ but I know what mine personally has been and I'm consistently more disappointed with CBCS.

For those who seek to resell books in short or mid-term it's understandable to want CGC, it's also understandable with current TAT's that to get a good deal on CBCS then crack it and submit to CGC currently is not optimal. 

Consumer or buyers whether Collector's or Seller's benefit from strong competition in the grading arena. We should want both company's to have equal perception in the market place.  However perceptions formed for these type things once they take hold are difficult to change. In some cases they may never be possible to do so. In my opinion out of the gate CBCS needed to be so much stricter than CGC that to have their label would be a badge of honor and they were not. The perception of CBCS being the more lenient graders has permeated the hobby. CBCS to me it appears lost the verdict of hobby opinion years back.

Bottom line, buy the book not the slab label. Still if that can't be done in person CGC is currently the safest way to keep one's "investment" stable.   Not saying that is good or bad, it just is the situation in the hobby.

As for reputable, we're talking many shades of gray for both firms.  Appears there are no boy-scouts in comic book (nor trading card) grading :)

Edited by MAR1979

I have slabs from CGC, CBCS and even a few by PGX.  If I see a book I want graded by CBCS that looks to be fairly graded and is selling at a discount to CGC I will buy it.  If I see a book I want graded by PGX and it looks to be fairly graded and it's significantly discounted from GPA I will buy it.

On 3/15/2022 at 2:23 AM, Pontoon said:

Since the fellow who was the President and Primary Grader at CGC, and who played a huge role in the institutionalization of modern day grading standards, is the Founder,  President and Primary Grader at the other grading company, I find this argument lacking in merit.

How so? He was a hired employee. He didn't come up with the idea. He took someone else's idea and copied it. You can find the argument lacking merit all you want, doesn't change that CBCS is simply a copycat of CGC. They even basically copied how the labels and case look. Is there anywhere that CBCS innovated?

Edited by ComicFill

On 3/15/2022 at 5:23 AM, Pontoon said:

Since the fellow who was the President and Primary Grader at CGC, and who played a huge role in the institutionalization of modern day grading standards, is the Founder,  President and Primary Grader at the other grading company, I find this argument lacking in merit.

Sure, but that was before he went rogue and switched to a diet of kittens.  Magneto was once a good guy too.

On 3/15/2022 at 6:28 AM, ComicFill said:

How so? He was a hired employee. He didn't come up with the idea. He took someone else's idea and copied it. You can find the argument lacking merit all you want, doesn't change that CBCS is simply a copycat of CGC. They even basically copied how the labels and case look. Is there anywhere that CBCS innovated?

They've got a really cool lounge and coffe set up. 

On 3/15/2022 at 9:28 AM, ComicFill said:

I'm guessing that you were never a good Monopoly player...