• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What makes a 'Classic' cover & who decides?
3 3

86 posts in this topic

More than the classic cover analogy. I wonder why values given to many books are still at the price point of 20 years ago. I agree that there are books that are and should be considered classic covers. Really though we all know which they are without someone telling us , dont we?

Its kind of like radioactive decay.  There is no way to tell which atom will decay next.  There is no physical law that can determine this.  Even God does not know.  

On 3/14/2022 at 9:55 PM, kav said:

Its kind of like radioactive decay.  There is no way to tell which atom will decay next.  There is no physical law that can determine this.  Even God does not know.  

That's deep.  I think it's more like "I'll know it' classic when I see it".

On 3/15/2022 at 4:31 AM, 500Club said:

Frankly, the market decides.  Enduring popularity, and all that. 2c

Sometimes you'll get a cover with brilliant composition from a renowned comic artist that works exceptionally well and is very striking to many people, or, at the other end of the spectrum, there could be widespread mockery from the collector community, such as with the Rifleman and Alf covers.  Either way, there's an alert to a clear interest in a cover which can be stoked by assigning a status symbol and marker to it, further to hype up interest, frantic behaviour and market price.

More than likely you'll look at some of the choices and get an underwhelmed reaction, because ultimately it's all subjective and variable from one person to another.

Edited by Ken Aldred

In other words, a cover gets to be designated as an Overstreet Classic Cover when Overstreet says it does.

Fairly easy to understand.

On 3/15/2022 at 11:08 AM, jjonahjameson11 said:

"What makes a cover Classic" would be an interesting article for a future Overstreet Guide.

Even though this statement followed directly on the heels of a "errr.. dunno - no real process, people say stuff and we think about it", I would still buy to read this article. 

On 3/15/2022 at 7:40 AM, jjonahjameson11 said:

Folks, you tell me...is this Harley Quinn cover memorable or one that will be copied or swiped or "homaged" in later years?  I think not, yet it is a classic cover, according to Overstreet.

See the source image

Classically bad, sure.