• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What makes a 'Classic' cover & who decides?
3 3

86 posts in this topic

On 3/15/2022 at 10:03 AM, oakman29 said:

Heck ASM 301 IS a homage cover to ASM 300

Is there really original art for each cover? I always assumed they were the same art. Drop the NYC skyline on 300 and dress Spidey in red & blue and you have 301. I'd like to see someone with photoshop skills lay the 301 Spidey on top of the 300 Spidey. Even as a teen 301 seemed lazy to me. It was one of my least favorite of the McFarlane run because of that.

On 3/15/2022 at 10:16 AM, Shrevvy said:

Is there really original art for each cover? I always assumed they were the same art. Drop the NYC skyline on 300 and dress Spidey in red & blue and you have 301. I'd like to see someone with photoshop skills lay the 301 Spidey on top of the 300 Spidey. Even as a teen 301 seemed lazy to me. It was one of my least favorite of the McFarlane run because of that.

300 and 301 are on separate art boards.  I think there’s a YouTube video where McFarlane discusses the decision process for 300 & 301

On 3/15/2022 at 10:22 AM, jjonahjameson11 said:

300 and 301 are on separate art boards.  I think there’s a YouTube video where McFarlane discusses the decision process for 300 & 301

I look at the covers and even the McWebbing looks nearly identical. I'll have to look up that video.

On 3/15/2022 at 6:55 AM, jjonahjameson11 said:

I absolutely agree.  The original cover art to ASM 301 is owned by a Sr Overstreet advisor.  It is designated as a ‘classic’ cover.  However, ASM 300, a very similar cover which is far and away more copied/homaged/memorable, is not.  

To paraphrase Overstreet, "300 is so obviously a classic we don't need to designate it" :roflmao: 

On 3/15/2022 at 9:40 PM, jjonahjameson11 said:

So, as a refresher, here's the response from Overstreet editor, Mark Huseman:

Designation of "classic" covers follows no specific criteria, and there's no Council of Elders who meet in secret to vote. Various advisors or readers will make suggestions, and Bob Overstreet and the Gemstone staff will give it some thought. Personally, I consider a classic cover to be memorable and one that will be copied or swiped or "homaged" in later years. Incredible Hulk #340 and Amazing Spider-Man #50 fit that criteria, but those, they're so obviously classic that no designation is needed. It goes without saying.

Folks, you tell me...is this Harley Quinn cover memorable or one that will be copied or swiped or "homaged" in later years?  I think not, yet it is a classic cover, according to Overstreet.  I can list dozens of covers from the same era that are far more worthy of being noted as a classic cover over this piece of .  Some of the most 'homaged' or swiped covers since the time I raised this question back in 2014 are McSpidey #1 and ASM 300.  Are they worthy of classic cover designation?  Heck, yeah!  Are they listed as such in Overstreet? um, no.

See the source image

So classic that's the first time I've ever seen it. Though every time I see it will be the first time, as there's nothing memorable about it. 

So Star Wars is no longer in the Film Registry. Same with Godfather 1-3, Raging Bull, and all those other films we all love. They're too obvious classic. Think of a film you've seen but no one else would have heard of, write it down and pass it to teacher. That will be your film of the year! 

I think maybe a quick definition is a book that when you say the issue, most collectors can envision the cover without having to think too hard about it

For example, Fantastic Four 72 is a classic cover.  It’s not a “key” per se, but most of us know it’s the Surfer on the red cover.   Fantastic Four 56?  Not so much.

Amazing Spider-Man 39?  Yep, we all know what that one is.  ASM 47? Not so much.

Green Lantern 76 vs GL 82.  Batman 423 vs Batman 444.  Etc