• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Stabilizers
3 3

16 posts in this topic

Are stabilizers a thing? It’s hard to see but i circled it. Looks almost like tape. I was informed CGC doesn’t do this in all slabs. I want to buy this issue, but this made me a little weary. 

15B0B248-DACC-4EEA-AB8A-B467EEB73CAE.jpeg

Edited by Kerdese

On 3/16/2022 at 7:24 PM, Kerdese said:

Are stabilizers a thing? It’s hard to see but i circled it. Looks almost like tape. I was informed CGC doesn’t do this in all slabs. I want to buy this issue, but this made me a weary. 

15B0B248-DACC-4EEA-AB8A-B467EEB73CAE.jpeg

Yes stabilizers are a thing, although I've mostly seen them on older books, not what appears to be a modern.

As a books size can differ it is necessary sometimes.

On 3/16/2022 at 8:24 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

There’s an example somewhere of a modern with tears I believe

Here’s an older thread about wedge damage

Interesting. This book was graded last year and the book is normal size, so I'm surprised to see the wedge/stabilizer.

On 3/16/2022 at 9:06 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

Do other available copies have the wedge?

No. This is the only one. But it checks as a 9.8 on CGC verify. I'm real close to pulling the trigger because it's at a good price too.

On 3/16/2022 at 7:50 PM, Kerdese said:

Interesting. This book was graded last year and the book is normal size, so I'm surprised to see the wedge/stabilizer.

I believe they have a finite number of case sizes and since there's variation in the dimensions of comics they use the wedges/stabilizers or as I call them spacers to adjust the fit, similar to insoles in shoes.  I'd imagine that's for all eras of books.

On 3/16/2022 at 10:27 PM, Kerdese said:

No. This is the only one. But it checks as a 9.8 on CGC verify. I'm real close to pulling the trigger because it's at a good price too.

I wouldn't let the spacer/wedge bother you.  If it's holding the book in place it's doing it's job and since there's no apparent damage it probably is.  My problem was the spacers allowed my book to slide up and down in the case about 1/2 inch and it shifted during shipping back to me and was damaged.  I knew something was wrong as soon as I picked the book up and saw it move in the case and when I looked at the back cover the damage was obvious. 

On 3/16/2022 at 8:24 PM, Kerdese said:

Are stabilizers a thing? It’s hard to see but i circled it. Looks almost like tape. I was informed CGC doesn’t do this in all slabs. I want to buy this issue, but this made me a little weary

I think you meant "wary".  Weary means tired.  But maybe you were weary from searching for the comic.