• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Found my ad in CBG from 1984 selling my original collection...bittersweet memories, check out the prices!
4 4

36 posts in this topic

On 3/18/2022 at 12:51 PM, chrisco37 said:

"To pay for my college education"  lol

Feels good to finally tell the truth, doesn't it?  

In 1986, the tuition fee was only $24 a hour plus $15 registration fee and today is:

• $133 Credit Hour (in district tuition)
  • Application Fee (non-refundable): $25
  • Registration Fee (non-refundable): $15
  • Activity Fee: full-time student: $42; part-time student: $21
  • Universal Fee: $19 per credit hour

Before I transferred to 4 year university and paid $42 per credit hour and $20 registration fee, today is:

$57401 a year for out of state student included a board and room and $288 student fee.  I finished there for two and half years - no more than $7850 combined.

How was the sell thru from the ad and did you have multiple orders for the same book?  I had one ad with no responses and another where several people sent checks for the same book.

h

On 3/18/2022 at 2:31 PM, shadroch said:

How was the sell thru from the ad and did you have multiple orders for the same book?  I had one ad with no responses and another where several people sent checks for the same book.

h

Honestly don't recall whether I had multiple orders for the same book, I know I sold over 90% of the books (and lots of runs that weren't listed). I remember the Marvel Team-ups didn't sell, nor did the Marvel Fanfares or the Hulk 102 (surprising)...I did a second ad the following Summer for the few that didn't sell plus the other runs I had and sold 99% of that. I do remember my parents being so mad that we were getting so many late phone calls, I didn't expect that...in fact the weekend after it published I went to the beach with my friends and my dad filled up 2 pages of a notebook with call-back numbers and questions, he wanted to kill me! 

Edited by Inhuman Fiend

On 3/18/2022 at 2:22 PM, grebal said:

At this point in '84, was Overstreet still reporting GOOD / FINE / N.MINT at 1:2:3 ratio ?

And you said "SASE."  Heh, is there anyone under 30 who knows that abbrev.? (Or what age?)

It was. And I agree that SASE is probably unknown to anybody under 30, heck probably under 40 lol

On 3/18/2022 at 12:31 PM, aardvark88 said:

HoS 92 vf $10 is a sweet deal back then, as cheaper than DD 158 nm $15. :deadhorse:

It's so funny that DD 158 was selling for double what Hulk 181 was, and ASM 129 was completely irrelevant, a 25-cent bin book. Back then, the market was much more artist driven as far as hot books...especially popular new artists like Miller or Byrne. 

Edited by Inhuman Fiend

On 3/18/2022 at 12:16 PM, oakman29 said:

Wow! I've bought books off of you before. How awesome is that.😃

Seriously?! Like from one of my two CBG ads (June '84 and June '85), or more recently off eBay?

Edited by Inhuman Fiend

On 3/18/2022 at 12:32 PM, Inhuman Fiend said:

Seriously?! Like from one of my two CBG ads (June '84 and June '85), or more recently off eBay?

Seriously from one of your ads. I can't believe I remember that ad. That's where I used to buy books