• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC Census Signature Research
2 2

10 posts in this topic

Is there anyway to research the CGC Census for specific signatures for a person?  If not, this would be a very useful feature to offer.  

For example, I would like to know every CGC Yellow label book signed by Frank Frazetta.  Sure I can look up Famous Funnies #209 and see that there are 4 "Signature Series" books on the census.  But, how do I know that someone didnt get one signed by Gil Gerard??

How many yellow label books are out there with Stan Lee?  Steve Ditko?

Since these names are attached to the label, it would be interesting to see if CGC could provide a list of what books were signed by whom.

Nope.  CGC has said again and again that there is not, nor will there ever be a database. Over the years, and the many, many versions of these threads that have popped up from time to time, the powers that be have stated that there is no way to accurately, quickly and cheaply scrape the data from the stored label information. The best source of information on signed books is old threads right here in the Sig Room.  The Frazetta threads, to use your example, are very accurate. You will see how many were done, and a large selection of what was done.  Other than that, it is extrapolation and surmising. 

If you have a specific book in mind, sometimes you can get lucky and narrow it down a bit comparing the CGC Census with GPA. In your FF #209 example, we know that the 6.0 was signed by Frazetta. The 9.2, 8.5 and 7.5 books are unknown as they are likely in private collections and have not been sold/listed online. 

On 3/24/2022 at 9:04 PM, seanfingh said:

PS - there are zero Steve Ditko SS books.  But we almost had him . . .

Wow Sean, that would have been something.

What's the story behind the "we almost had him" ?

Please tell :foryou:

Someone wrote some names on a comic, maybe they are genuine but putting them in that slab doesn't verify them, quite the opposite for me.

I wouldn't believe a PGX sig, if I witnessed it myself lol 

On 3/24/2022 at 5:34 PM, Ron C. said:

If you have a specific book in mind, sometimes you can get lucky and narrow it down a bit comparing the CGC Census with GPA. In your FF #209 example, we know that the 6.0 was signed by Frazetta. The 9.2, 8.5 and 7.5 books are unknown as they are likely in private collections and have not been sold/listed online. 

I've done this. You can also check the Registry.

GPAnalysis is the best way to check.

It's not perfect, but it will get you close.

As an example, I know that 1 of my books has a total of 25 SS 9.8s. Thanks to CGC Census

In GPAnalysis, they had every sale of a SS book from ebay. Very important here. Ebay. And of the 25, 16 were sold on ebay. So there are 9 books that were either kept from signings, or sold through other means.

Now I know of the 16 books, only 6 of those have a Stan Lee Signature. 

It's the best we got.