• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Lev Gleason Cover Post

102 posts in this topic

Since the center scan changes on a simple roll of the mouse over the designated cover and that the center image does not complete display on my screen (that is, I might have to scroll to see the entire image), as I scroll or try to, half the time I end up changing the scan before I can see the entire image.

What's you're browser and screen resolution? I can imagine that on a wide aspect screen using some browsers, the entire page wouldn't display without scrolling. On my computer, it's fits very nicely (IE, at 1280 x 1024). I know that some browser windows take up more vertical space than others. Hate to make the center image smaller though... confused-smiley-013.gif

What's you're browser and screen resolution? I can imagine that on a wide aspect screen using some browsers, the entire page wouldn't display without scrolling. On my computer, it's fits very nicely (IE, at 1280 x 1024).

My screen is set up at 1024 x 768, that's why. I agree you shouldn't reduce the image size. I just have to adjust. And I run IE.

Thanks for putting those online. It was fun going through your collection. My 30 seconds reactions:

1) The cover do tame down quite a bit around the low 60's issues

2) I now wonder how good and how long the Chip Gardner stories are.

3) Chip Gardner has that classic 50's look you can see in Rip Kirby and he has a hint of Fred McMurray in his look as well as Ken Shannon from Quality comics

4)a) Look at the different hands on cover 53 to 54. No way Biro did both.

4)b) I really like cover 53

5) Did you notice the scale on the mantlepiece on cover 45

6) Nice to see again # 48 which I was aware of but I had never seen 47!

Can you tell I really enjoyed the site smile.gifthumbsup2.gif

Thanks for putting those online. It was fun going through your collection. My 30 seconds reactions:

1) The cover do tame down quite a bit around the low 60's issues

2) I now wonder how good and how long the Chip Gardner stories are.

3) Chip Gardner has that classic 50's look you can see in Rip Kirby and he has a hint of Fred McMurray in his look as well as Ken Shannon from Quality comics

4)a) Look at the different hands on cover 53 to 54. No way Biro did both.

4)b) I really like cover 53

5) Did you notice the scale on the mantlepiece on cover 45

6) Nice to see again # 48 which I was aware of but I had never seen 47!

Can you tell I really enjoyed the site smile.gifthumbsup2.gif

Nice work, dcmsgr!

I agree on the 53 and 54 being different artisst. The 54 artist could be the 57 artist.

I was just reading in Alter Ego a comment that Biro would sign his name to the work of others. This was the first I heard that, but it's consistent with the differences on the covers.

I love the 53 as well -- it's a great example of a Biro story-telling cover.

Thanks for the positive replies guys!

Next step is getting the "Title Page" together and then move on to Daredevil and some of the other runs. My collection of those isn't quite as extensive, but I figure I might as well get them togther so that I can enjoy the fun of filling them in.

Crime and Punishment and the first few pages of Daredevil added...

Check it out HERE

Pages 5-7 of the DD run are inactive right now, but hopefully in the next couple of days,I'll get them together (along with Black Diamond Western and Desperado). More to come.

Continuing to build out my Lev Gleason Collection site. Finish creating pages for the major titles and added a little info to the title page. Eventually, I will represent all of the Lev Gleason (and predecessor) titles on the main page, but I'm holding off right now on titles that aren't well represented in my collection (need to invest in those Buster Crabbes eventually). Thinking about creating a little "issue review" section, summarizing and reviewing an issue on a weekly or monthly basis. I've been planning on doing a site like this for a while and it's nice to finally get it up online. It's an excellent way to spend time with my collection without it costing me any money...

LINKY

Hope people are enjoying it. I'll post again when I make a more substantial update.

Great site, Doug! Finally got a chance to take a look. Very nice way to display your books!

I see in your updates box, you have this:

Also awaiting delivery of a Crime and Punishment #66, the first "3-D Effect issue".

That's cool...I never knew Lev Gleason jumped on the 3-D effect bandwagon. Are the interiors of those issues similar to the ACG 3-D effect issues (heavy black panel borders, with people & objects drawn to look like they're popping out of the panels)? If you do start issue reviews, this one might be a good candidate.... smile.gif

That's cool...I never knew Lev Gleason jumped on the 3-D effect bandwagon. Are the interiors of those issues similar to the ACG 3-D effect issues (heavy black panel borders, with people & objects drawn to look like they're popping out of the panels)?

Yes, quite similar. Page-width panels, weird moire pattern coloring/grey toning, and a lot of forced perspective. Most of the art is a little bad, though the Toth stuff in C&P holds up well. Interestingly, the "3-D" effect was only used in C&P #66-#68 and Black Diamond Western #51 and #52, right at the time that Harold Straubing took over editorship of these two titles from Biro. Boy, Crime Does Not Pay, and Daredevil (all of which Biro continued editing) did not have 3D Effect issues. I've always assumed it was Straubing's "innovation" and not something that interested Biro. Seems that it didn't last too long, so I guess Biro was right.

Interesting find this week:

cdnp_49_can.jpg

Notice the 15cent cover price. Also of note is there is no indicia anywhere on the interior of this book. I'm assuming it is a Canadian edition, but it has none of the regular tell-tale signs such as the "CDC" distributor mark, Canadian advertising or the "Superior" Maple Leaf logo in place of the regular Lev Gleason seal on the cover. Also, the book has complete contents (relative to the US edition), unlike other Canadians that would trim the interior down by a story or two and maintain a 10cent cover price. Odd...

I have to assume that this is an early Canadian edition (it is the earliest I've seen) and LG just didn't have there system of distribution down yet. Any other thoughts?

Nice book!

There are a few of the Walter Gibson CDNPs available on Ebay. I've considered picking one up, but they are issues I already own and I really am leaning towards a complete collection right now with eventual plans for upgrading.

Thanks for sharing! Far nicer than my copy of #103.

Nice book!

There are a few of the Walter Gibson CDNPs available on Ebay. I've considered picking one up, but they are issues I already own and I really am leaning towards a complete collection right now with eventual plans for upgrading.

Thanks for sharing! Far nicer than my copy of #103.

That run of painted covers has some great work. They really stand out in the run. The artwork is so crisp that cover wear really detracts.

Usually I wait until I have a book in hand before I make any mention of it here, but this recent purchase has me excited enough that I'm going to post an auction link:

British Black Diamond Western #1!

I'm willing to say that I didn't even know that there were British editions of Lev Gleason comics. The cover of this book is from Black Diamond #23 and the 1951 date would make it just about contmporary with the US edition. Cover says 36 pages, which would suggest that it is a 3 story book like Canadian editions of the same period as opposed to the 5 story US originals. Nice to see that the Wolverton story is included and I'm very curious to see if the contents are from BDW #23 or from other contemporary issues. This is a phenomenom I've seen in late 40's Canadian Lev Gleasons.

Has anyone else ever seen a pence Lev Gleason? This is my first and I'm interested enough in these oddities that I took a risk on a 0 FB new seller. Wish me luck!

Here's that British Black Diamond Western:

bdw_01_brit.jpg

It has a black and white interior with no ads. Contains the 3 Black Diamond stories from the US issue #23, plus the Wolverton Big Bang Buster 3 pager. Stories strart and end on the interior of the front cover and the outside of the back.It's that strange, "squat" 8 1/2" x 9 1/2" size common to British editions. No text story or the rest of the "filler". Pretty cool. Published by "Pemberton's (of Manchester)" and distributed by "Agence Francaise de Presse, France". It's not dated or numbered anywhere, so I'm a little curious where the seller came up with the notion that it was #1 and from 1951... might deserve an email... Anyone have any more info on this "series" or the publisher? I'm very curious if there are runs of British edition CDNPs and Daredevils out there waiting to be discovered

Also of note, picked up this nappy Canadian CDNP #68:

cdnp_68_can.jpg

Not only is the color printing on the front different than the US edition (no dark blue and not unusual), but the cover stock is a weird heavy-weight unglossed stock, different than the interior. Love these when I can pick them up cheap!

Happy hunting!

Surprisingly, with the thousands of vintage comics that I own, I believe this is the only Lev Gleason book. This was from the collection of Walter Gibson, who created "The Shadow" in 1931.

CrimeDoesNotPay103.jpg

Looks like a CBC across the lady to me insane.gif

Great looking book. I rarely see any of this title in grade. cloud9.gif

Well, I know this isn't a for-sale thread, but this book comes up so seldom I thought you guys would excuse me. And the image definitely belongs here.

I recently listed a Crime Does Not Pay 24:

cdnp24.jpg

If you are interested I'm sure you will be able to do a search on eBay. There are links to big scans, front and back, in the listing. I would post the link but I do not want to press my luck. smile.gif