• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comic Art Con April 23!
2 2

34 posts in this topic

On 4/24/2022 at 9:10 AM, Foolkiller said:

The show is almost more social than it is a marketplace

I am so anti-social. I bet I have been to the show and never spoken except to a few dealers many times!

On 4/24/2022 at 1:20 PM, DJRome said:

This was certainly the liveliest show that I've been to since the pandemic hit. Folks seem to feel ready to get out & rub elbows again. It was great to finally meet the Foolkiller in person, as well as other friends that I don't see as often as I'd like to. And a special thanks to the Unstoppable one for helping me get back into my car after I locked myself out!

As far as art deals go, most of the stuff at the show was the same material that I've already seen, albeit with higher prices. That said, there was plenty of fresh art to go through with some agreeable pricing. Jim Warden had a ton of new Byrne art, Bob S was set up with a whole bunch of affordable 70s DC stuff, and Albert always has a new gem or two on display. I fell in love with his Fabry Preacher cover and was able to take it home with me!

Best show since 2019. I hope more collectors make it out to the next one this September!

Preacher TPB 3.jpg

you are welcome.. and I did not even see this one!! Great get!

Great show as always with many great conversations. Thanks to Joe Veteri for setting this up! Great to see @Unstoppablejayd  @DJRome @zhamlau@Foolkiller , Kavi, Nick K, Jon M, @Sideshow Bob @BCarter27, Larry and so many more.

One thing that many may overlook is the amount of great affordable art that’s available! While it won’t be Jim Lee X-men or Kirby FF, you can still find great pieces under four figures. If you aren’t attending these shows expecting everything to be highly priced, you’re missing out!

Edited by AnkurJ

On 4/24/2022 at 9:10 AM, Foolkiller said:

I'm generally not free on Saturdays during the Spring (and usually not the fall either) due to my son's baseball and golf schedules, but found myself free because the team was off this Saturday and my son strained his calf at track earlier in the week, so he wanted to just hang out.  

The art con is a cool event.  It's been awhile since I've attended (several years) and I haven't gotten to one since I've more seriously gotten into art, but Veteri as always put on a nice show for everyone.  The show is almost more social than it is a marketplace because many of the pieces are things that people have seen already (via website or just being around).  That said, there was plenty of new stuff, but not perhaps the 'big' piece I was looking for.  I'm not saying this for any other reason than a point of reference but I bought $70k in all green (and a checkbook) hoping to make a deal, but could not make one with anyone even at what I'd call market or slightly over, though I only inquired about a couple pieces.  One of the problems is, what exactly is the market and how do you price it?  There were a number of wonderful smaller pieces in the room and you could have absolutely scored some fantastic art, but with so many great pieces coming to auction, you're better off not necessarily spending on those, but saving the money and waiting til auction (so I can be blown out of the water there.  

The best part of the convention is the other collectors.  It was so fun to see all the dealers and meet so many folks, both old and new, and put faces on the names I have heard and known for some time.  As some people may know from dealing with me on comics, when I meet folks in person or know them pretty well, I am absolutely willing to make deals with them.  I brought a portfolio and sold a couple of items I wasn't intending to, but they went to very good homes.  I could have sold more but just wasn't necessarily prepared to sell.  My belief (and this is no criticism of anyone) is that art is meant to be enjoyed.  If I have it sitting in a portfolio and you will enjoy it more than me, I'm happy to see you have it.  While I don't want to be completely bent over, I also feel zero need to make as much as possible, so I want the collector to feel they got a fair deal too and are happy with what they paid.  That's a lot of what the shows are about for me.  I always hope that others will pass that along -- but I also understand the desire to get as much as you can too.  Plenty of collectors have been very generous with me, and I will never forget that. 

Most of what I picked up were things I bought a couple years ago and hadn't remembered to pick them up and bought a couple of new ones.  

IMG_3638.jpeg

I still absolutely love that DPS. Just stunning.

I went for the 10th straight time. It was as always a good show. I sold a few pieces. I bought a few pieces. I stayed at the hotel as I always do, but for the first time in 4 years my wife and kids came along as well. They loved seeing NYC on the horizon, but we never made it into the city. Pool was decent I'm told so that was their favorite part of the place lol. What's funny is that on Sunday I went to a sports card show out near Rutgers and I found one of the cards I need for a master set I've been making for 4 years, blew my mind. Guy wanted like 7500 so no deal on it, but at least I have his contact info. Nice little bonus. Overall it was a fun show, I just wish more collectors brought their trade/non vital portfolios. I always bring mine. Its a lot more fun to buy and sell collector to collector then with dealers.

Edited by zhamlau

On 4/23/2022 at 6:12 PM, BCarter27 said:

It was great to see some familiar faces today. The show seemed like it had better attendance that even some pre-pandemic art cons. I think this location was a vast improvement. Easy to get to from the city (much thanks!) and a nice sized room.

Some random pics I took-

https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/share/NKVaYQFvjGNM5mfGHW4e4QIHg6CcQYCVtBiBptgDjWN

Dealer's name is on the file name. I don't have prices for anything, but you can reach out to them.

Thanks again for the photos! :headbang:

I swear, when my kids grow up they are going to see the same wall art as their father at the Coolines booth.