• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CBCS grading of a Deathmate Orange 9.8
2 2

7 posts in this topic

I was shocked to see a CBCS graded Orange Variant in 9.8 with the spine torn up and trimmed. This book is currently on ebay and from the CBCS census there are five more 9.8's from the same submission (there are also several Oranges in different grades also on ebay from the same submitter). If I was the grader, this book would never receive anything over a 6.0 FN and it would clearly state "trimmed" on the label.  I can only assume that Mr Borock (President of CBCS) believes that ALL Orange variants were glued into the previews magazine and therefore the spine gets a pass and he grades the rest of the book. Any Thoughts??? I currently have a PGX graded 9.8 unglued copy on ebay so that you can compare the books and I have included a pic of my CGC copy that was sold earlier this month, see last pic. I have sold 10 CGC 9.8's on ebay that were all unglued and stand alones.  I also have a copy at CBCS ready for grading (received Dec 8th), so should be interesting to see what that book is graded at. Do you think CBCS has painted themselves into a corner and must give my copy a 9.9 to keep things even, or will they "dupe" me and give me a 9.8 and let things go? I will post again when I receive my CBCS copies.

orangexx.jpg

orangexxxxx.jpg

death.jpg

It's an interesting observation.  Since the standard issue of this comic was glued into a Previews, it's hard to fault the spine if it looks a bit ragged after carefully being removed.  Except for copies you have that were never glued in, that would be the standard.  As for your copies that are clean without any glue or glue damage, they should get a higher grade if all else checks out.  Likely the same concern with Plasm 0.  Maybe there was a past thread about that.

It is a very unique situation.  Don't expect any kind of an uproar, because the number of people who care about Deathmate in general are very few.  And even they might ho-hum this "problem'.  But you seem to be having success with it in some form, so that's all that counts.

Edited by Lightning55