• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone else lately getting grader notes that include "finger bends to cover"?
4 4

86 posts in this topic

Sent in 4 The Crow #1's. All 4 have grader notes that say "moderate finger bends on cover"

In over 20 years of submitted books I have never had any submitted books with notated "moderate finger bends on cover" let alone 4 in the same batch. Odds are CGC is hiring people who take no care in our collections/investments     

On 7/11/2022 at 6:51 PM, underw0rld said:

Sent in 4 The Crow #1's. All 4 have grader notes that say "moderate finger bends on cover"

In over 20 years of submitted books I have never had any submitted books with notated "moderate finger bends on cover" let alone 4 in the same batch. Odds are CGC is hiring people who take no care in our collections/investments     

I'm guessing this is happening during the unpacking/receiving portion - when books are unpacked, prepped, and transferred to the graders (who even if they handle books correctly it doesn't mean much if the defects happened before they got ahold of the issues)

On 7/11/2022 at 4:09 PM, Sauce Dog said:

I'm guessing this is happening during the unpacking/receiving portion - when books are unpacked, prepped, and transferred to the graders (who even if they handle books correctly it doesn't mean much if the defects happened before they got ahold of the issues)

After these current 6 batches of books that are stuck at CGC, that will probably be gorilla handled, I will be giving CBCS a try.

• Administrator

Everyone  that have had books pressed and are receiving noted with finger bends, and a low percentage of 9.8's or lower grades than they were expecting, please send me submission numbers with text.   I will send in all of the submission numbers, text etc... and we will try to find out what is going on with unexpected finger bends and/or lower grades than you were expecting.  Keep in mind, number of books, grades, graders notes submission numbers and any other comment that applies will give us a better chance to find out what is going on.  If there's a problem, you can help to fix it by sending me the above data I have asked for.  

On 7/11/2022 at 6:51 PM, underw0rld said:

Crow 1 is notorious for showing every little dent or bend. Even after pressing any really deep defects show a remnant that can be interpreted as finger dents. Here is a before and after of a book that shows how easily these types of defects can be introduced, if those handling the books are not careful. 

boneb.thumb.jpg.71079d2736e6295cc21e508ae16fb253.jpg

bonea.thumb.jpg.c1e85b912cbcad64b8b1ab88e642f234.jpg

Edited by joeypost

On 7/12/2022 at 8:14 AM, CGC Mike said:

Everyone  that have had books pressed and are receiving noted with finger bends, and a low percentage of 9.8's or lower grades than they were expecting, please send me submission numbers with text.   I will send in all of the submission numbers, text etc... and we will try to find out what is going on with unexpected finger bends and/or lower grades than you were expecting.  Keep in mind, number of books, grades, graders notes submission numbers and any other comment that applies will give us a better chance to find out what is going on.  If there's a problem, you can help to fix it by sending me the above data I have asked for.  

Its typically coming from the graders who grade moderns. Absolutely perfect books are coming back 9.6 with no grader notes as to why. It's like sending in a lenticular cover fresh of the press and it coming back 9.6.  Cause some of the modern graders are being that strict, it need to stop. Keep us posted on the response from the data you collect.  I've heard of people touring the facility and seeing stacks of books graded in a pile, that pile is prone to falling over and damaging books, I'm sure it has quite a few times.  

On 7/13/2022 at 6:06 PM, Kevin76 said:

I've heard of people touring the facility and seeing stacks of books graded in a pile, that pile is prone to falling over and damaging books, I'm sure it has quite a few times.  

221024EC-0177-4D44-A9E7-1DEB02A299FD.jpeg.1534d42ea0407a4a10ad7feba31d35d5.jpeg

• Administrator
On 7/12/2022 at 8:14 AM, CGC Mike said:

I posted this in 2 threads.  So far, 1 person has sent me some info.  I was hoping to have several to send the QC manager.  I can copy text from threads but, with no submission numbers, we will not be able to tell who tell who has handled the books, and correct any problem that may be occurring.  Pictures aren't required.

On 7/14/2022 at 2:11 AM, Kevin76 said:

Looks like a CGC grader's desk pile waiting to fall over then email the customer saying that's how they got them shipped to them. 

Heritage is free of accountability as well, perhaps more so since the owners have typically expired.

On 7/14/2022 at 7:13 AM, CGC Mike said:

I posted this in 2 threads.  So far, 1 person has sent me some info.  I was hoping to have several to send the QC manager.

It's cool that you're trying to gather info. Unfortunate that nobody has offered up receipts yet

On 7/11/2022 at 1:12 PM, PovertyRow said:

Looks just like the ones I had issues with. Same for me as well - from presser to CGC.

That looks like a hard bend. Almost like the book was picked up by just the corner. 

On 7/14/2022 at 9:47 AM, KirbyTown said:

It's cool that you're trying to gather info. Unfortunate that nobody has offered up receipts yet

I submitted 3 slabs to Mike that recently came back 9.6. There's nothing wrong with them.  

On 7/15/2022 at 11:21 PM, Kevin76 said:

I submitted 3 slabs to Mike that recently came back 9.6. There's nothing wrong with them.  

Oh, I thought he was looking for examples from people who had the fingerbends 🤷‍♂️

• Administrator
On 7/16/2022 at 12:48 AM, KirbyTown said:
On 7/16/2022 at 12:21 AM, Kevin76 said:

Oh, I thought he was looking for examples from people who had the fingerbends 🤷‍♂️

I am. These could be separate problems or the same.  If people send in books that have been professionally pressed, and are comic back with finger bends, I am interested submission in getting submission numbers and  the  grades of the books.  Especially if you were expecting 9.8's and received several below that grade.  

On 7/14/2022 at 5:13 AM, CGC Mike said:

I posted this in 2 threads.  So far, 1 person has sent me some info.  I was hoping to have several to send the QC manager.  I can copy text from threads but, with no submission numbers, we will not be able to tell who tell who has handled the books, and correct any problem that may be occurring.  Pictures aren't required.

Hi, Mike - 

I would love to do this, unfortunately, the two batches of submissions that had all of these issues are more than six months old and I cannot access them via the portal. After those, I held off on submitting Moderns for a few months. I will say, my last submissions did not have these issues any longer (phantom finger bends).

• Administrator
On 7/19/2022 at 2:48 PM, El Toro Rojo said:

Hi, Mike - 

I would love to do this, unfortunately, the two batches of submissions that had all of these issues are more than six months old and I cannot access them via the portal. After those, I held off on submitting Moderns for a few months. I will say, my last submissions did not have these issues any longer (phantom finger bends).

If you don't have the submission numbers, you can still send examples.  Just be sure to include your customer id number, and we can look up the submission number (s).

And here we are again...2 books just graded and 1 of them has the same dammm note about finger bends...

Grader Notes:
light creasing to cover
light finger bends on cover
light spine stress lines to cover
light wear to cover

submission #3908456

Edited by rube11

On 7/27/2022 at 4:14 PM, rube11 said:

And here we are again...2 books just graded and 1 of them has the same dammm note about finger bends...

Grader Notes:
light creasing to cover
light finger bends on cover
light spine stress lines to cover
light wear to cover

submission #3908456

You might PM your details to @CGC Mike