• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone else lately getting grader notes that include "finger bends to cover"?
4 4

86 posts in this topic

I just sent in a batch of mint books that are coming back in fine condition, all with  grader notes referencing  top corner bends that did not exist previously. I was even fortunate enough to have an employee of cgc visit my store last summer and prescreen many of the items and suggested 9.8 were most likely the grade on most of them. Receiving 9.0 and 9.2 instead. Lost thousands in retail value. If shipper damage shouldn't CGC note that ?

On 4/12/2022 at 3:52 PM, rube11 said:

Almost every group of books I get back have this noted on some of them...I know sure as #$%^ they did not have those when I sent them in.. :pullhair:

Not sure how much it affects a grade, but that seems like whoever is removing them from the bag and board is not paying close enough attention...

They seem to be employing monkees down there these days.

This is far more of problem than in the past. One of the many reason last Nov I suspended all my CGC submission until they improve - if they improve.  I still have 5 submissions in motion and it keeps me up at night thinking how many of my books CGC will damage.

Edited by MAR1979

One of the leading causes of finger bends:

On 4/12/2022 at 1:52 PM, rube11 said:

Almost every group of books I get back have this noted on some of them...I know sure as #$%^ they did not have those when I sent them in.. :pullhair:

Not sure how much it affects a grade, but that seems like whoever is removing them from the bag and board is not paying close enough attention...

@CGC Mike  This is becoming a common enough complaint to justify looking into.  

Been CONSISTENTLY sending in books for a few years now and the grader note TYPE "finger bends" has seemed to just pop up over the last few months...also use to get higher grades but now it seems ON AVERAGE all books are 0.2 to 0.4 lower than in the past...maybe the grader moods have shifted or something or maybe it's just me :D

On 4/26/2022 at 6:12 PM, The Lions Den said:

Unfortunately, finger bends are one of the most common flaws, right up there with spine stress lines...  (shrug)

Not exactly...when they are sent in WITHOUT finger bends and then have notes that say it.....there is a problem.. I have been sending books in to CGC since their inception in NJ where I use to live..that like 16-17 years I think for me...NEVER had this issue until the probably the last 6 months or so..

On 4/26/2022 at 8:40 PM, rube11 said:

Not exactly...when they are sent in WITHOUT finger bends and then have notes that say it.....there is a problem.. I have been sending books in to CGC since their inception in NJ where I use to live..that like 16-17 years I think for me...NEVER had this issue until the probably the last 6 months or so..

Sorry to hear this... :foryou:

Is there any specific tier where it seems more commonplace, or have you had this problem with a variety of different submissions? 

On 4/26/2022 at 8:52 PM, CGC Mike said:

If people would like to PM me examples, I will send them to management.  

I probably have sold all of them that have come back..so I would not have the scans anymore unfortunately..BUT I can't be the only one who has this issue..I will check to see 

Long time collector, new member here. I have a number of books I would like to have graded but if this is a frequent issue, I would probably consider sending books to CBCS instead. Lots of money at stake to have your books damaged by the people grading them.

Edited by dlsmith1961