• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Church/MH Superman 1 record sale in January
7 7

406 posts in this topic

It's not about hierarchy.  It's not because Superman's first solo title in 8.0 is more desirable than Green Lantern's 1st appearance Church copy.  It's not because Mantle is better than Ruth.  It's because all the very top items are skyrocketing.

On 4/16/2022 at 7:13 PM, ChillMan said:

The clear single-best-existing Church copies of AA-16, Flash-1, and MF-73 should be worth $10M+.

I’ve heard two things regarding the Church/MH copy of AA #16.

1. It’s now owned by Steve Borock.
  2. Rose Verzyl still has possession of it.

Can anyone confirm either one?

Edited by Terry JSA

I wonder if the guy who bought this is Middle Eastern royalty.  I heard that a guy like that was trying to build his collection.  If so...hey, message me.  Why not be my friend and give me $10M....??  To get my comic I started with $19k and made 2 good moves.  I'm not rich at all.

On 4/16/2022 at 6:24 PM, Terry JSA said:

I’ve heard two things regarding the Church/MH copy of AA #16.

1. It’s now owned by Steve Borock.
  2. Rose Verzyl still has possession of it.

Can anyone confirm either one?

I haven't heard any news or rumors on it for 15 years.  Which makes it more legendary.  Last I heard 15 years ago was that Mr. Verzyl turned down a million dollar offer.

On 4/17/2022 at 12:28 AM, ChillMan said:

I wonder if the guy who bought this is Middle Eastern royalty.  I heard that a guy like that was trying to build his collection.

Chinese fella :gossip:

He is also looking to buy an island for his retreat. Australia I heard it was.

Edited by Gotham Kid

On 4/17/2022 at 12:51 AM, Gotham Kid said:

I think there is an open offer on the highest graded copy of MF73 for 20Mil, or was it 25Mil can't recall.

Tim Frommelt is the name...

Can’t forget the legendary Tim Frommelt. He ran into like… what? $1 trillion dollars and saw comics as an investment.

I wonder why he didn’t post the proof. He said he’d do it. hm

On 4/16/2022 at 10:44 PM, Terry JSA said:

Can’t forget the legendary Tim Frommelt. He ran into like… what? $1 trillion dollars and saw comics as an investment.

I'm sorry it turned out like this, but someone had to lose.  It's the nature of the business.  It's the smuggler's blues.

On 4/14/2022 at 5:48 PM, VintageComics said:

Thank you! 

I brokered the deal. I worked on it for some time before we could finalize it. 

I have to say, it's pretty surreal to turn a hobby I always loved, and used to get bullied and beat up for in grade school and middle school and turn it into something like this. 

Back in the 70s and 80s it wasn't cool to be a comic geek. It was considered fringe. We were thought of as losers and nerds and I even got beat up for it at times as a kid. My parents never understood it as they were always throwing my comic books out. 

I never backed down and always stood my ground, though and it's a little surreal now. 

My dad passed away in 2004 and before he passed he even apologized for taking such a negative view on my comic books. I suppose if he could see my life now he'd be impressed. 

Funny the things we carry with us. 

I do appreciate it very much. 

That’s really interesting to hear Roy. My early experiences of comics are certainly very similar to yours, except that in my circles comics were hugely popular at school, and trades of single books, even sales of whole collections became became fairly common by the mid seventies. However, my father, like yours, held no truck with all this as a business, and he was already too far gone to recognise any kind of satisfaction or success that I eventually had.

And many congratulations on being a part of such a massive transaction Roy…

Edited by quicksilver

On 4/17/2022 at 1:44 AM, Terry JSA said:

His ex-wife came and got it all. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

On 4/14/2022 at 7:55 AM, sfcityduck said:

The laudable thing about DA is that he has on more than one occassion chosen to keep the better book and get rid of the pedigree...... But, I think that it shows that DA is a true high grade collector - buying the books, definitely not the label or the pedigree, because he appears to trust his own eye and judgment.  

On 4/14/2022 at 8:00 AM, Aman619 said:

Agreed.  Still it would be a disappointment for DA if the Church collection rep continues to grow to a point where it’s more important than the grade.  The pedigree multiplier effect versus no name books waxes and wanes.  But seems like the Church name attached to a copy is very strong of late. … for this world class level of book anyway. 

From my point of view, it's all a really simple equation here and doesn't require a lot of thought:  (thumbsu

DA's old school grading > Church pedigree >> CGC's grading  hm 

Hence:  DA's old school grading >>> CGC's grading!!!  :preach:

Edited by lou_fine

Except perhaps in the case when comparing an 8.5 Church to a 9.0 no name copy… only one grade apart. . We are seeing a great resurgence in pedigree importance out there, even more so than in the old days before CGC grades supplanted them. Especially Church mega keys like this   Of course, nobody bats !000… DA may have to live with only 3 of the most valuable copies of his 4 big DC keys. 

On 4/17/2022 at 9:53 AM, lou_fine said:

From my point of view, it's all a really simple equation here and doesn't require a lot of thought:  (thumbsu

DA's old school grading > Church pedigree >> CGC's grading  hm 

Hence:  DA's old school grading >>> CGC's grading!!!  :preach:

CGC can not grade better than us old school people.

Daves books have been seen by some top Dealers and they are what you heard they are.

I will say after these gift graded CGC books lately His are 9.9 :bigsmile: