• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hulk 181 Quick Buying Question

10 posts in this topic

Hey everyone - I have the opportunity to locally pick up a Hulk 181 that is ungraded, has the marvel value stamp, and visually looks like a 4.5 - 5.0, IMO.  

The book is listed for $3000, which seems like a fair rate from what I was looking at previous eBay sales - but just wanted to see if folks thought that was a decent price point.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Kaz

also:

What Marvel Value Stamp is it? It should be Shanna the She Devil. I have seen a raw Hulk 181 that had the wrap from a Hulk 179 insert into a Hulk 181 to replace what was obviously a Hulk 181 with a missing marvel value stamp.

As mentioned check the book for color touch. Looking at the inside of the front cover for bleed through and look at the front cover and move it around in light to see how the light reflects. It should be very even light reflection and color touch will jump out.

I agree with Shadroch, I question why they are not getting it encapsulated.

The concern would be undisclosed alteration or restoration, which would significantly lower the value of the book. 

Thanks everyone for the advice!  I put in a slightly lower offer and we'll see - they are a trusted seller with a solid reputation - the book doesn't appear trimmed, has the proper value stamp, and no signs of color touch that I can see.  Seller advised that I can return for full refund if not satisfied - may take to a local store owner who is pretty good with grading and has a much better eye than I'm sure I would and get his thoughts.

If I do get it, I'll throw some images up on the "Grading" section of the forum - again: thanks everyone!

Edited by Kaz