• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Palos Verdes Collection on HA
2 2

49 posts in this topic

Man I think I’m getting dehydrated drooling over some of these books.

So many keys. So many different pedigrees represented. I might spend two hours just scrolling through them.

Time to get some more water.

One hell of a collection!! Link to it and some of the bigger books. When they’re all sold, should be somewhere in the 3-4 mil range I assume, give or take.

https://www.ha.com/c/search-results.zx?Nty=1&Ntk=SI_Titles-Desc&Ns=Price|1&N=0+793+794+791+792+1893+1577+2088&Ntt=palos+verdes+collection&ic4=SortBy-071515

4E566E2F-DD70-4E70-B05A-2887BCA9272B.jpeg

27544DF3-3E33-4A8B-9CEE-0D2FE4327B35.jpeg

028571EB-FA5A-4A2A-B058-58412757C7E2.jpeg

Edited by LDarkseid1

On 4/15/2022 at 11:11 PM, atomised said:

What is the Palos Verdes collection?  I see the auction but can't find any info on this collection.

All I know is  it's a town near or suburb of Los Angeles. There are a few Promise books in the collection I noticed.

All these insane auctions happening all the time between all the auction houses, plus whatever’s selling on eBay and it just amazes me how many big time spenders are out there. I wish there was a way to see how many people in the world buy vintage comics, and then section it off into various amounts. How many people buy books for like only $10K and under. people who tend to buy books upwards of $50K, then $100K, $500K and so on. With how global the vintage market is, there must be ALOT of buyers in the $50K and lower range. I mean I don’t know if it’s some number in the tens of thousands, hundreds of thousands or even millions, but must be a lot of people.

On 4/16/2022 at 9:09 AM, lighthouse said:

But I would absolutely put the number higher than one million. I own a shop in a metro of half a million people with no other population centers within 40 miles. I have over 13,000 customers in my store database and over a third of those are in the system as a result of a comic purchase.

I have around seventy customers (that I know of) that own at least one $10,000 comic, though most of them haven’t spent anywhere near that much on a book, having benefited from time and inflation.

These points are interesting...and surprising. Especially the second. 

On 4/16/2022 at 7:17 AM, october said:

I don’t doubt that the $10k customer count is inflated and doesn’t scale with population the way the “comic collector” count does.

We have folks who drive 100-200 miles to shop with us. And I have a few who fly into town on business a couple times a year that are also part of that seventy. Folks who own $10k comics likely visit stores when they travel if they have reason to believe the store has good wall books. So that skews that particular count. A “regular” who visits me three times a year is also likely a regular at twenty other shops where they’ve found visiting worthwhile.

Edited by lighthouse
So many typos. I need coffee.

On 4/16/2022 at 5:30 AM, jimbo_7071 said:

I don't think the number is on the scale that you're suggesting. I think it's a fairly small pool of collectors that are paying $50K and up for books. I would be surprised if there are even a million total comic book collectors worldwide. Maybe 10,000 people would be willing to spend $10K on a personal grail? I think the number of prospective buyers probably goes way down as the prices get much higher that than. I consider myself a pretty passionate collector, and I doubt that I would ever spend that much on one book. If I did, it would have to be an amazing deal on a personal grail.

No no, I said $50K and lower, not up. I agree and am sure it drops massively at the $50K and up level. But I said $50K and lower. So people spending just any amount under that. There’s definitely an insurmountable amount of people spending upwards of $1K, $5K, $10K, $25K and up to $50K on comics, when taking that total range into account. There’s no way the amount of books that get bought in that level, that range is in the hundreds or thousands of collectors. At the very least it’s 10’s of thousands at that level of buying.

On 4/15/2022 at 10:03 PM, Professor K said:

All I know is  it's a town near or suburb of Los Angeles. There are a few Promise books in the collection I noticed.

Yes, it is a wealthier area close to the ocean. Whomever it is might be a quiet under the radar collector. I have bought and sold on eBay to a guy from there for years. Not books of this magnitude but some rare and obscure WWII era books. hm

And no, it isn’t David Arnold, Carbo’s pal who sells on eBay.

Does HA offer any back story to this “collection”? 

Edited by Robot Man

On 4/16/2022 at 10:17 AM, october said:

In today's market, I'm not sure that it's that unusual to own a $10k book... if you bought a reasonably high grade IH181 or GSX1 or X-Men 94 back in the day, let alone the hundreds, if not thousands, of other keys that were more accessible prior to say 2000 or 2010, and were astute or lucky enough (or in my case anal enough) to hold onto them, you'd have a $10k book.  I bought a raw file copy Chamber of Chills #19 off eBay around 2005 for $300... it's a likely 9.0 graded and worth God knows how much today.  This is just one small example... I'm sure there are A LOT of other collectors that can give similar stories.

On 4/16/2022 at 8:41 AM, EastEnd1 said:

In today's market, I'm not sure that it's that unusual to own a $10k book... if you bought a reasonably high grade IH181 or GSX1 or X-Men 94 back in the day, let alone the hundreds, if not thousands, of other keys that were more accessible prior to say 2000 or 2010, and were astute or lucky enough (or in my case anal enough) to hold onto them, you'd have a $10k book.  I bought a raw file copy Chamber of Chills #19 off eBay around 2005 for $300... it's a likely 9.0 graded and worth God knows how much today.  This is just one small example... I'm sure there are A LOT of other collectors that can give similar stories.

"Have purchased a $10k+ book in the past 12 months" would be a lot more illuminating statistic.  Accidently ending up with a really valuable book is quite different from actively looking to acquire them.

IH - 181.jpg

On 4/16/2022 at 11:59 AM, MattTheDuck said:

"Have purchased a $10k+ book in the past 12 months" would be a lot more illuminating statistic.  Accidently ending up with a really valuable book is quite different from actively looking to acquire them.

Agreed... spending $10k+ is a very different animal than "lucking into" a $10k book.  Though even here, I think spending that kind of money is less uncommon, particularly for the old school collector that can easily sell a hyper-inflated book to acquire a more desired hyper-inflated book.  I think the current market easily reflects that this is happening a lot.  Spending NEW MONEY on a $10k+ book I'd agree is still isolated to a select group of collectors.    

On 4/16/2022 at 9:10 AM, EastEnd1 said:

Agreed... spending $10k+ is a very different animal than "lucking into" a $10k book.  Though even here, I think spending that kind of money is less uncommon, particularly for the old school collector that can easily sell a hyper-inflated book to acquire a more desired hyper-inflated book.  I think the current market easily reflects that this is happening a lot.  Spending NEW MONEY on a $10k+ book I'd agree is still isolated to a select group of collectors.    

Yep.  I've sold a number of $10K books, but the most I paid for one of those is $300.  I am not buying $10K+ books so far.  I can get all the collecting joy I want searching for interesting and unusual books, while staying out of the market for the books that take only money to acquire.

If you were first collecting sometime up to the early 80s, it is probably hard to not own a $10K book.  Really popular books, GSX 1 and IH 181, etc., have inflated beyond anyone's dreams.  No rarity to those books at all.  And the vast majority are not CGC'd, I"m sure, just sitting in some 50+ year olds boxes.

Edited by sfcityduck

On 4/16/2022 at 10:54 AM, LDarkseid1 said:

No no, I said $50K and lower, not up. I agree and am sure it drops massively at the $50K and up level. But I said $50K and lower. So people spending just any amount under that. There’s definitely an insurmountable amount of people spending upwards of $1K, $5K, $10K, $25K and up to $50K on comics, when taking that total range into account. There’s no way the amount of books that get bought in that level, that range is in the hundreds or thousands of collectors. At the very least it’s 10’s of thousands at that level of buying.

I understood your post. My point was that there are far fewer collectors willing to spend $20K, $30K, $40K than there are people willing to spend $10K. Even in that range, to number of prospective buyers is going to drop the closer you get to $50K.

I don't believe that there are anywhere close to 10,000 collectors willing to spend $50,000 on a comic book. There might be, and probably are, 10,000 willing to drop $10K on a comic.