• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Shadow #1 9.8 for $2500???

17 posts in this topic

I was looking in the new Overstreet and in the market report, they mention a Shadow #1 from 1973 in CGC 9.8 selling for $2500. Considering this is over 70 times guide and 9.6s only sell for $100-$200, I would think some type of big deal would have been made about it, but I don't recall hearing any mention of it before this. Did someone actually pay this ridiculous amount of money for this comic or was it a typo of some sort? Did anyone hear about this? What's the story? Inquiring minds want to know.

I noticed that price also. It doesn't make any sense. I don't recall that common book selling for that price but who knows. crazy.gif

I would sure hope so that they added an extra zero! There are 2 9.8s on the census and I would doubt that there would such a discrepancy between the prices. crazy.gif

I would hope that it's a typo, except they show it for $2500 in 3 different places. On page 57 it's one of the comics spotlighted under record sales. On the same page at the top of the 2nd column it's listed again along with some other Bronze Age comics that set record prices. Then on page 104 it's in the list of Bronze Age sales.

I'm wondering if a typo occured when the information was first entered and no one bothered to double check the info.

The other possibility is it could have been an off-Ebay transaction where the seller convinced some poor ( okay, not so poor) naive shmuck that it was a good investment. If this is the case, then boy is he in for a rude awakening.

What is wrong with the grade? It is a flat square edged book.

And let's not totally rule out the possibility of sentimental sales.

Keep in mind not all EbaYers are die hard comic book geeks (comic

book super-freak, in my case) like us.

I'm just glad that comic books are selling.....