• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Considering selling my Detective Comics # 1 8.5
4 4

90 posts in this topic

I gotta admit, I love the irony that oozes from "HA.com"...

There are allot of factors to consider. 

I'm not asking you to answer me, but things I would be thinking about... What % of your total portfolio does comics make? If it's high, I would consider diversifying. 

There are other implications like taxes.  I'm not sure where you store them, but are you comfortable with high dollar assets being wherever? .. A bank, your house.. even if insured?

Then there is the emotional side of it.  Would you regret the decision knowing you'll never likely replace the Tec 1. Even if you could stomach the cost to replace it, it's not exactly a book you see popping up all over the place. 

Would you get as much joy out of whatever else you put the money into?  

As strange as this sounds, of all the comics you listed, the Tec 1 would be the book I would want to keep the most. Maybe the Tec27. It's personal preference of course, but I love those pre Batman tecs and #1 is just ridiculously awesome. 

the advantage to selling the comics and reinvesting is you'd save 8% in capital gains taxes on every dollar of profit after reinvesting the proceeds.  But you'd have to find investments that will increase in value quicker than the comics.  I wouldn't worry about "diversifying" into stocks.  chances are you already have a portfolio of them.  But, if all your keys are restored, that's another matter because they won't be appreciating at the same rate as High Grade unrestored comics will.

also, like the guy complaining about a dealer who wouldn't bargain over $15 in Comics General... what happened at Heritage that you say they cheated you?  You're may be cutting off your nose to spite your face because they can auction your books at exciting prices. Why the grudge?

On 4/18/2022 at 11:29 PM, supapimp said:

I hear ya. But how bad do you need the money. I say hold out as long as possible. Best wishes 

Don't need it at all. I know they are like gold and prob. can get a nice advance within a week from just about any auction house. I guess I am holding out for an Action 1. Which, I'd probably have to sell Tec 1, 27, BM1 and SM1 to acquire. Not sure if that's a good deal.

On 4/19/2022 at 12:52 AM, Aman619 said:

the advantage to selling the comics and reinvesting is you'd save 8% in capital gains taxes on every dollar of profit after reinvesting the proceeds.  But you'd have to find investments that will increase in value quicker than the comics.  I wouldn't worry about "diversifying" into stocks.  chances are you already have a portfolio of them.  But, if all your keys are restored, that's another matter because they won't be appreciating at the same rate as High Grade unrestored comics will.

also, like the guy complaining about a dealer who wouldn't bargain over $15 in Comics General... what happened at Heritage that you say they cheated you?  You're may be cutting off your nose to spite your face because they can auction your books at exciting prices. Why the grudge?

I sent them like 20 WATA games to sell and was in the agreement not to list at the same time. They listed them all at the same time and since they were a lot of dupes, it depressed the value. The POS who handled the transaction said too bad. I found out one buyer bought all of them and sold them one by one on ebay. I hate that #*#&$) company.  I've received calls from them in the past since they know my collection. I think my last words to one of them was drop dead.

I wonder, is there like a 1031 exchange for comics and other investments?

Edited by intlnews

On 4/19/2022 at 8:36 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

'Tec #1 isn't my thing, so why not sell? I don't imagine that it will depreciate in the near-future, but the list of prospective buyers will likely get smaller and smaller down the road.

It really is a beautiful comic, but yea, as these comics reach the stratosphere, the limited amount of buyers is a concern.

On 4/19/2022 at 9:31 AM, intlnews said:

I sent them like 20 WATA games to sell and was in the agreement not to list at the same time. They listed them all at the same time and since they were a lot of dupes, it depressed the value. The POS who handled the transaction said too bad. I found out one buyer bought all of them and sold them one by one on ebay. I hate that #*#&$) company.  I've received calls from them in the past since they know my collection. I think my last words to one of them was drop dead.

I'm not a big Heritage fan either, though my reasons are less personal than yours.

The way I would approach is, reach out the handful of people who could realistic set up an AC1 sale and get a sense for what's out there and the cost. If it seems at all feasible, go all in!  Maybe get a cash advance from an auction house to put a deposit on the AC1 if you do find that right deal. 

I'm not sure what it would take, but in an ideal world you would get to hang on to your Tec 27 and move the other big books.

The last piece is don't forget the taxes.

Good luck with whatever you choose. The good news is, the bets you placed 20+ years ago have really paid off for you. 

On 4/19/2022 at 9:31 AM, intlnews said:

Maybe the bigger problem is that it was years ago.     The graded game market is up so much from what it was when you must have sold.   A few years would translate to the very beginning of wata games on heritage.

They do tend to list things at the same time, and it really doesn't affect results, in games or comics.    That being said, at the very beginning, the market was still very raw, so it may have affected things in your case, so I understand your frustration.    Still, they have always been good about shifting consignments around to suit your requests as long as you ask as soon as you see them listed in your 'my consignments' tab.     As long as you request it before they print the catalog, they seem to have zero issue.   Once the catalog has been printed, its more problematic for them to shift things around.

Edited by Bronty

On 4/18/2022 at 10:32 PM, intlnews said:

I hate Heritage. Mf'ers screwed me over on come graded video games a few years ago.

If I may...

I would suggest you reach out to Rick Akers

@Ricksneatstuff

If anyone can help you re-connect with HA, it would be Rick. I encourage you to give HA a chance to resolve any past feelings you may have about the organization. 

I would highly suggest you re-consider working with HA for the types of books in your collection...no other auction house in the world will realize better prices for you.

2c

Sorry about your Heritage experience.  That must have been a pretty testy phone call if they knew about the rest of your collection and it ended with you feeing so raw.. Silly to blow off 750K in future consignments.

On 4/18/2022 at 12:46 PM, KirbyJack said:
On 4/18/2022 at 12:41 PM, intlnews said:

I will pull from the safe deposit box and post if there's interest.

I think I can speak for everyone here and say yes, there is interest!

If you’re comfortable posting them, we would love seeing them.

omg what if he pulls em for pics and something happens to em tho!!!  

On 4/19/2022 at 6:31 AM, intlnews said:

if this is all documented you might have a case for breech of contract with financial loss.