• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Banned. Google Imaging Cert Numbers.

9 posts in this topic

Hello.

I was rank 1 since launch. I had over 230,000 points. I searched google images, messaged online sellers for their listings' cert numbers, typed random numbers into the add card section and followed the sequence, and searched other users' cards to follow their sequence.

I have received transfer requests for cards that I legitimately own. I am not the only one. I guarantee that over 50% of the registry users have illegitimate entries.

At launch, it was said that contests will be held for users with the most points. This can not happen until this problem is fixed. But unfortunately, it can not be fixed because certification numbers are as public as their owners want them to be.

I won't be responding or coming back to this topic, as there's no reason for me to. What I did is done. I got banned with all my cards being removed. The cards I do own IRL are up for grabs and will certainly be falsely claimed by other users. The registry is based on an honor system, according to CGC. But unless the cert numbers need to be approved and matched with your submissions, I don't see a way to stop it. Maybe y'all have suggestions.

Good day.

Screenshot_20220422-180842_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20220425-160610_Samsung Internet.jpg

Edited by Poké-Oh! TCG
Spelling error

Genuinely curious: why did you add certs of cards that weren't yours in the first place? I don't even understand why anyone would enter in certs of other peoples' cards. If CGC were offering actual rewards (i.e., cash) for out-competing people in the registry, then I could understand why an unscrupulous person would want to take advantage of that. But there's literally nothing to gain by lying...

So, again...why?

• Administrator
On 4/25/2022 at 5:39 PM, Poké-Oh! TCG said:

At launch, it was said that contests will be held for users with the most points. 

I won't be responding or coming back to this topic, as there's no reason for me to. What I did is done. I got banned with all my cards being removed.

It is absolutely not true that awards will be given to users with the most points. Best sets, yes. Most points, no. Also, this is not the first and only Registry managed by the Certified Collectibles Group. If there is even a hint that someone is cheating, they will be disqualified.

I'm not really familiar with exactly what the registry is about, but I went ahead and added most of my cards anyways, (and made it to the top 5 ranking at the moment, I see :) ) I was browsing the comics CGC registry forum to try to figure out what kinds of contests there might be, and have a quote from the OP of the "It's.....The 2022 Registry Awards!!!" thread. 

"It's that time again, folks.  This year, I'm the point man for the Awards! :ohnoez:

A few things about our criteria for the Registry Awards:

We do not look primarily at points. It is a factor, but it's not the only factor.

We also look at completion percentage, comments and details about individual books in the sets, and originality.  Typically, previous winning sets will not be considered in order to make it more open and fair to new collectors. One of my colleagues will post additional details about our criteria and methodology soon."  

It sounds like something for the trading card enthusiasts and collectors that will be a lot of fun. I have no idea why any real collector would add cards to their registry that they don't own, but I suspect that the percentage of users doing so is far less than the OP of this thread is suggesting. At least I hope so.

• Administrator

I think that you'll find that the community becomes self policing - especially when awards season is approaching. It is amazing how closely collectors watch sales and immediately report entries that are suspicious. We've seen this in the coin and comics registries which have been around about two decades.

Most participants are in it because they love this hobby, love to show off their sets and they love to see what other collectors are doing. There isn't much incentive for someone to cheat. Whatever they gain in a potential prize will be overshadowed by the negative feedback they receive on social media when they are caught doing it. This is a very vocal group.