• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WB's BARBIE THE MOVIE starring Margot Robbie (2023)
7 7

540 posts in this topic

On 7/30/2023 at 10:44 PM, kimik said:

That must be a recent article as Yellowstone is at the top or top 5 at worst when its new seasons/episodes drop. Yellowstone, and Yellowstone 1923, are in between seasons right now. I really want them to get the second season of 1923 out fast so we can see how Spencer takes being the biggest badazz to another level.........

can't wait for spencer to get ahold of creighton.

On 7/31/2023 at 4:12 AM, sfcityduck said:

Barbie is threatening. 

Threatening? :roflmao:Threatening to who?  At worst, someone brought up westerns as a side and people were interested in the topic. It appears it would make a good thread of it’s own.  

It should be noted that you have kept the topic here on westerns as much as anyone else. 

On 7/30/2023 at 7:48 PM, sfcityduck said:

I don't think it is at all controversial to view Westerns as a fringe genre these days.  They ruled the roost long ago, but now many other genres are far more popular. It never occurred to me there were folks who thought Westerns were still a dominant genre. 

You guys have identified one guy's Westerns as an exception to what I see as a rule. The highest grossing movie list is incredibly strong evidence that audiences aren't being drawn to Westerns the way they are to superheroes, SciFi, spy movies, war movies, adventure, fantasy, etc. \

As I believe I'm the "one guy" who first mentioned westerns and then provided my Top 10 list of excellent examples from the last 30 years...

I didn't mean to derail the thread, but my original points stand:

1) I believe we've past the apex of superhero movies and the genre will begin to decline, as westerns did in the late 60s/early 70s.

2) That's not necessarily a bad thing. I'd rather see two superhero movies released per year, that are good, than 5-6 that are mediocre. (As I believe we now see roughly two westerns released per year, with a really high quality one released roughly once every two years). Those few that get made today tend to be equal to (or better than) the majority of westerns released in their heyday.

Whether westerns have been culturally relevant over the last 30 years? Absolutely.

Four westerns have won Best Picture. Three of the four were from 1990 to present. The only other one was from the 1930s -- in terms of the Academy Awards (a proxy for both quality and "cultural relevance"), the westerns of the 1950s-1960s are entirely absent.

Those four are:

• Cimarron (1931)
  • Dances With Wolves (1990)
  • Unforgiven (1992)
  • No Country for Old Men (2007)

On 7/31/2023 at 4:12 AM, sfcityduck said:

What irony? Equality of opportunity is a two way street. No irony when the male supporting character in Everything won an Oscar. I suspect the female director and writers for Barbie also have a strong shot. This Western talk on a Barbie thread suggests a bigger irony: Barbie is threatening. 

Explain how a toy, that has existed  longer than me, and in many respects has always been about female empowerment is now threatening because they made it into a movie?  Great, I think it is good that different movies are showing strength in the market besides Superheros.  Hopefully, films like this, Oppenheimer, and Mario are showing that the diminishing box office is a result of undeserved markets and IP fatigue as opposed to the drawn out death of theaters. 

But, if you fail to see even a touch of irony that a movie made by women, marketed towards women, supported by women, a major plot point is the patriarchy, and the majority of the cast is woman that the early Oscar talk is about the male character, I can't help. It shows he did a great job, good for him.  It's not a knock against the movie just a funny observation. 

On 7/31/2023 at 6:54 AM, Gatsby77 said:

As I believe I'm the "one guy" who first mentioned westerns and then provided my Top 10 list of excellent examples from the last 30 years...

I didn't mean to derail the thread, but my original points stand:

1) I believe we've past the apex of superhero movies and the genre will begin to decline, as westerns did in the late 60s/early 70s.

2) That's not necessarily a bad thing. I'd rather see two superhero movies released per year, that are good, than 5-6 that are mediocre. (As I believe we now see roughly two westerns released per year, with a really high quality one released roughly once every two years). Those few that get made today tend to be equal to (or better than) the majority of westerns released in their heyday.

Whether westerns have been culturally relevant over the last 30 years? Absolutely.

Four westerns have won Best Picture. Three of the four were from 1990 to present. The only other one was from the 1930s -- in terms of the Academy Awards (a proxy for both quality and "cultural relevance"), the westerns of the 1950s-1960s are entirely absent.

Those four are:

• Cimarron (1931)
  • Dances With Wolves (1990)
  • Unforgiven (1992)
  • No Country for Old Men (2007)

did you forget an american in paris, tx.?

On 7/31/2023 at 9:16 AM, drotto said:

But, if you fail to see even a touch of irony that a movie made by women, marketed towards women, supported by women, a major plot point is the patriarchy, and the majority of the cast is woman that the early Oscar talk is about the male character, I can't help. It shows he did a great job, good for him.  It's not a knock against the movie just a funny observation. 

I think it's unintentionally meta. The male eye candy was the hero all along.

On 7/31/2023 at 10:26 AM, Straw-Man said:

funny observations are passive aggressive, i fear.  

Yep, and some wonder why issues seem to follow whenever they post. Perhaps at some point a little self reflection would useful. 

On 7/31/2023 at 10:53 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

I think it's unintentionally meta. The male eye candy was the hero all along.

There are some very funny discussions online where one camp is arguing this movie is the most :censored: movie ever, with the other side saying it can actually be viewed as anti-:censored:.  Give Barbie credit, it's making big bucks and has people talking.

As to your point, I have even seen people upset that the movie is almost more Ken's movie than Barbie's, as he has the most complete and traditional character arc. Also, that Gosling steals the show.

Edited by drotto

On 7/31/2023 at 11:02 AM, drotto said:

There are some very funny discussions online where one camp is arguing this movie is the most :censored: movie ever, with the other side saying it can actually be viewed as anti-:censored:.  Give Barbie credit, it's making big bucks and has people talking.

I still can’t believe that word is banned. Lol

Do we add snowflake and triggered next? 

On 7/31/2023 at 11:07 AM, CAHokie said:

Did not realize it was till that post, whatever. The observation is still valid and I could not find another way to word it.

Edited by drotto

On 7/31/2023 at 11:02 AM, drotto said:

As to your point, I have even seen people upset that the movie is almost more Ken's movie than Barbie's, as he has thr most complete and traditional character arc. Also, that Gosling steals the show.

Ironic is one way of thinking about it... or maybe it is a testament to the writer/director investing more energy in developing her male character (who could have been merely a punching bag, or as much of a non-entity as the original Mattel Ken toy was) than the energy typically expended in developing the average male cinema protagonists' female counterparts.  hm

On 7/31/2023 at 11:15 AM, Zonker said:

Ironic is one way of thinking about it... or maybe it is a testament to the writer/director investing more energy in developing her male character (who could have been merely a punching bag, or as much of a non-entity as the original Mattel Ken toy was) than the energy typically expended in developing the average male cinema protagonists' female counterparts.  hm

From all the discussions I have seen, I am not sure if it was intentional or not, but it sure has created many divergent oppinions.  If it was intentional, the writer/directors deserves credit.  I do think the original take on Ken was based on him being an afterthought in thr Barbie toy line.

There are clearly many well though at aspects to the film especially with regards to the presentation and look of Barbie world.

Edited by drotto

On 7/31/2023 at 11:07 AM, CAHokie said:

'Snowflake' and 'triggered' don't capture the distaste for people's concern with discrimination and intolerance the way derogatory use of 'censored' does.

Edited by namisgr

On 7/31/2023 at 6:16 AM, drotto said:

He's a major character.  Why would this be unusual or funny? All movies can be nominated for male and female acting awards. And I've seen Oscar buzz for Barbie for best picture. I certainly don't think that Gosling doing a great acting job is somehow diminishing of women.

Edited by sfcityduck