• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WB's BARBIE THE MOVIE starring Margot Robbie (2023)
7 7

540 posts in this topic

On 7/25/2023 at 9:39 AM, sfcityduck said:

About time. <applause>

As someone who was given timeouts for responding to those types of comments, I appreciate that the anti-politics crack-down is being expanded to be more evenly applied.

Never let a timeout trouble you.  

https://www.expressvpn.com/

https://www.cyberghostvpn.com/

https://surfshark.com/

I might not be the expert on this.  Ask Stu.

https://www.top10vpn.com/best-vpn-for-usa/

Edited by Buzzetta

If we can go way back,

Treasure of the Sierra Madre

And for comedy/drama Western style,

Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

Not a shoot-'em-up, but set in the wild west of the early 20th century,

A River Runs Through It

Very much a shoot-'em-up,

The Wild Bunch

Finally, for its different perspective

Little Big Man

Edited by namisgr

On 7/24/2023 at 11:41 AM, valiantman said:

The hard sciences still don't care about social status or politically correct opinions, so you won't find many pseudo-anythings in colleges of math and science.

If anything, the study of the sciences exist for the sole purpose of proving each other wrong with evidence because it's the only way forward (and the only way to fame in science, if someone really is trying to find fame in the sciences). 

To keep us on topic, here's a version of Barbie as a scientist. It is not typical of the appearance of an average scientist today, but Barbie has always been about what could be "tomorrow" for those still growing up today... so who knows.

61IWK5WPZLL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Great post.  With microscope in hand, it looks like Barbie might be a research biologist, but if she were the short skirt would be forbidden, the same as shorts, as not meeting lab safety OSHA regulations (chemical spill danger).  :bigsmile:   Other than that, the look would fit in at a lot of places.

Your point about modeling what could be tomorrow for girls growing up today is spot on.  Back in 1960, women made up only 6% of the medical students in the United States.  Today, around 55% of all US medical students are women, and most of us have been treated by female physicians at one time or another.  The movie definitely tries to capture some of that spirit.

Barbie's come a long way, baby.  Still got a ways to go.

Edited by namisgr

Lots of good Western recommendations here.

I will add one that is often overlooked. The Long Riders - Wikipedia

undefined

Long Riders is noted for casting four sets of brothers to play the four sets of brothers in the James/Younger gang...

David Carradine
Keith Carradine
James Keach
Stacy Keach
Dennis Quaid
Randy Quaid
Christopher Guest
Nicholas Guest

And for those who haven't seen Open Range, best shootout in any Western movie. If you disagree you are wrong :)

On 7/27/2023 at 9:03 AM, RedRaven said:

..And a top 5 of the last 50 years (in no order)

Outlaw Josey Wales

Unforgiven

Open Range

Dances With Wolves

Lonesome Dove (mini series)

Outlaw Josey Wales is so darn good. Have that in digital and blu-ray, and watch either at least every few months.

Unforgiven is another solid film. All that buildup to that hardcore ending.

On 7/27/2023 at 5:26 AM, Larryw7 said:

I lean towards the older Western

High Noon

Stagecoach

Dodge City

The Searchers

The Good The Bad and The Ugly

Once upon a Time in the West

The Magnificent Seven

Pale Rider

High Plains Drifter

Unforgiven

Tombstone

an "old westerns" list without shane is no list at all.

I went with my family (wife and teenage kids) to see Barbie yesterday. It was good. Really good.

I laughed a bunch, I teared up once, and I thought the pacing and structure of the movie - especially with its subtle and counterintuitive climax - were genuinely creative.

As with most art, you can read it how you want, and (if I can say this as a non-American) there's plenty for both sides of the culture wars to embrace and to reject, meaning that how people respond to this one is really a reflection whether they're glass half full or half empty people, and has nothing to do with politics.

For me, the movie was an unsurprising celebration of nostalgia, a modestly surprising celebration of cheesy movie music, and a completely surprising celebration of motherhood.

Last week, I was invited by one of the producers to a private screening of the movie Cabrini, which is coming out next March, and directed by Alejandro Gomez Monteverde, the director of Sound of Freedom. Ironically, to me both Cabrini and Barbie shared a well-crafted theme about the empowerment of women, not by virtue of tearing men down, but by the ability to envision and create a better world.