• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WB's BARBIE THE MOVIE starring Margot Robbie (2023)
7 7

540 posts in this topic

On 7/24/2023 at 10:30 AM, namisgr said:

Remember Francie?  1966 release, a full 57 years ago - so extreme and radical.  :grin:

image.png.995376197e6df0c366168743941dc956.png

What was really special about that doll, is she was wearing at least a form of PANTS...I would have prefered a doll (any color) wearing jeans...in 1966 girls were still required to wear dresses or skirts to school.  That didn't change until around 1970, although there were at least 2 High Schools in NYC, that protested before that and the girls were allowed to wear pants on a very limited basis. At my HS, Music and Art, there was a protest because the girls were getting paint all over their clothes and jeans were allowed, but only if you changed IN the classrooms. The other school was Performing Arts, the sister school to M&A. I'm guessing this was around 1966. 

No sandals, and you had to wear stockings or socks.

BTW, that doll was a Caucasian Barbie, just with different coloring. The first African American Barbie with the correct features was not until later.  You were not allowed to wear pants to work in  most offices and never if you were working with the public in stores.

On 7/24/2023 at 1:01 PM, Drummy said:

Having just had a (diet) Mountain Dew, and thinking this movie is going to be a lot more satiricial and intelligent that most people might think, I'm in!

Dan

That's why I'm looking forward to it, because it's satirical, not because I think Barbie was a feminist icon, lol;) 

This is one of those threads where the early pages are full of reactions that are now unintentionally hilarious in how wrong their speculation was. Great entertainment! It is now obvious the roll out of this movie was a very clever marketing deception. I am so sick of trailers that give the whole movie away - so the pivot that this movie successfully pulled off is very refreshing.

On 7/25/2023 at 1:49 AM, valiantman said:

Their target audience is those who haven't had a Mountain Dew in forty minutes. :kidaround:

Wait, that's REAL? 

:jawdrop:

On 7/25/2023 at 9:44 AM, sfcityduck said:

Barbie and Oppenheimer rule.  Nice to see innovative movies doing well with audiences and in the box office. 

Maybe just maybe, these movies (and arguably Mario) prove that audiences are ready to move on to some new IP's (as far as entertainment go). That all these failing films are more about beating a dead IP then anything else.

On 7/25/2023 at 9:07 AM, Gatsby77 said:

Yes.

It's incredible that Barbie's opening weekend surpassed The Flash's entire domestic run.

A look at the top 10 films (so far) this year, along with Top Gun: Maverick's performance last year =

Superhero films have arguably passed their peak.

And that may not be a bad thing - I'd rather see far fewer superhero films, done well, than a parade of sub-par garbage that does a disservice to the characters and/or (continues to) insult the audience.

Like westerns - Probably only 1-2 westerns are made a year, yet over the past 30+ years there's a solid 10 or so that were *amazing* - ranking among the absolute best in the genre.

Your western picks? Thanking in advance

On 7/26/2023 at 6:54 AM, Gatsby77 said:

Unforgiven

Tombstone

The Quick and the Dead

3:10 to Yuma

The Magnificent Seven

Legends of the Fall

True Grit

The Assassination of Jesse Jamesby the Coward Robert Ford

No Country for Old Men

Hell or High Water

i'm in agreement with all but legends of the fall.  open range has to be in there.

On 7/26/2023 at 8:02 AM, Straw-Man said:

i'm in agreement with all but legends of the fall.  open range has to be in there.

I've not seen Open Range - will add it to the list!

Legends of the Fall's grown on me over the years. Its epic sweep, cinematography & score helps push into "Hollywood classic / why we go to the movies" territory for me.

And, of course, the penultimate scene, with Anthony Hopkins, is the highlight.

On 7/26/2023 at 12:01 PM, Bosco685 said:

I guess moviegoers wanted different in a big way.

Quality matters too.

Of that list, the only films with a higher Rotten Tomatoes critics score than Barbie are Spider-Man No Way Home and Top Gun: Maverick.