• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Auction / Appraisal / comic stores
1 1

25 posts in this topic

Once i get comics Graded

Which Auction house is best for appraisal or can CGC Help me get appraisal ?

Also do dealers do appraisals ?

Should i use comic book stores that aren't dealers of CGC ?

On 5/3/2022 at 6:09 AM, Vaked said:

Screenshot_20220503-070806_Chrome.jpg.a174ee9f8a732c40a332986963b8b055.jpg

That does seem inconsistent with the CGC policy of bumping up their grading charges on books based on their assigned values for the books, doesn't it?  If they don't provide values or do appraisals, how would they know when to charge more for a book submitted on a lower tier?

On 5/3/2022 at 11:42 AM, Vaked said:

That post is referring to pre-submission/determining FMV. CGC will not guess what your book is worth from a scan (which is smart - can you imagine the problems that would cause). What you refer to occurs later, when CGC has the book in hand.

So they DO provide values and perform appraisals, but only with the book in hand.  Got it.

On 5/2/2022 at 9:40 PM, Big Sweets said:

Once i get comics Graded

Which Auction house is best for appraisal or can CGC Help me get appraisal ?

Also do dealers do appraisals ?

Should i use comic book stores that aren't dealers of CGC ?

What's your goal here?  To get comics graded and then sell them or to get comics graded and get them appraised and keep them?  If you're getting them appraised to keep them is the appraisal for insurance?

On 5/3/2022 at 12:18 PM, Vaked said:

Not what I said lol Take a book like UF #4. If you submit a beauty under Modern, they don't need to know an exact FMV, just that it's worth more than the $400 max for the Modern tier. 

Screenshot_20220503-131645_Chrome.jpg.0f81cef4ae468edc466c6e1ba606895b.jpg

Well, that would be assigning a value, now, wouldn't it?

The first two statements in this notice are logically inconsistent:

"CGC does not assign values to collectibles."

"If CGC determines that a collectible is undervalued...it may adjust the tier and charge...based on its determination of the collectible's current Fair Market Value."

On one hand they are saying they do not determine the value of a collectible, and in the very next sentence they say they may adjust tiers and fees based on their determination of the value of a collectible--you know, that thing they don't do.

On 5/3/2022 at 2:12 PM, Vaked said:

Two separate things really. The first is saying they won't determine FMV/insurance for you while you possess the book (i.e. "Hey CGC, what tier should I submit under?"). The second takes place after the book is already submitted when CGC actually has it in hand. 

I agree that they should format that paragraph better.

In the case where something happens to the book after CGC upcharges you & before they ship it then does the FMV become the value associated with the new tier or would it still be what you entered on the submission form.    I would imagine the former since you're now paying for that tier

On 5/3/2022 at 1:12 PM, Vaked said:

The first is saying they won't determine FMV/insurance for you while you possess the book

Except that's not what they are currently saying (even if that's what they mean).  What it SAYS is that "CGC does not assign values to collectibles."  Period.  At any time.  And then they go on to assign a value to the collectibles they grade.

On 5/3/2022 at 1:07 PM, Vaked said:

Not a specific value, no.

Nobody said anything about "specific," just value.

On 5/3/2022 at 2:27 PM, Vaked said:

Pedantic semantic.

It's not just pedantic when it creates a massive contradiction in the way they do business.  They could say they don't assign a retail value to collectibles, but they do a rough assessment of the value for billing purposes, or something like that.  But when they say, "We don't assign value, but we charge based on our assigned values," they come off looking a little less than professional.

On 5/3/2022 at 2:33 PM, Vaked said:

You're being deliberately obtuse. Let me see if I can get someone in here to argue semantics with you. He's the king, baby!

@RockMyAmadeus

I'm not sure you understand the difference between "semantics" and logic.  Semantics is concerned with the meaning of words, and the meaning of the words being used here is not in question.

The problem here is a logical one, where the meaning of the words being used leads to a logical contradiction.

Unless you are proposing that there are alternate meanings of "CGC does not assign values to collectibles" or "it's determination of the collectible's current Fair Market Value"...?

On 5/3/2022 at 2:41 PM, Vaked said:

I already did.

I suppose, if you're proposing that "does not" actually means "does."

Glad you're getting the most out of your new membership!

Rules of thumb for people totally clueless about comics.

comics with a cover price of .50 cents or less  are good, 20 cent and 25 cent better, 12 cents or less best.

comics that look like they were read a few times are good, read once and put away better, never read and carefully stored best. 

Marvel Comics  are the best, DC are okay and companies like Charleton, Archie and Gold Key have little value. 

First appearances are a big deal in this market and often the character may not be on the cover so real research is needed.

There are lots of exceptions to the above rules 

Modern books have different rules but you said your collection ends around 1983.

Edited by shadroch

On 5/3/2022 at 1:58 PM, Axe Elf said:

Well, that would be assigning a value, now, wouldn't it?

The first two statements in this notice are logically inconsistent:

"If CGC determines that a collectible is undervalued...it may adjust the tier and charge...based on its determination of the collectible's current Fair Market Value."

On one hand they are saying they do not determine the value of a collectible, and in the very next sentence they say they may adjust tiers and fees based on their determination of the value of a collectible--you know, that thing they don't do.

I just love that pharse "you know, that thing they don't do."

On 5/3/2022 at 12:26 PM, thehumantorch said:

What's your goal here?  To get comics graded and then sell them or to get comics graded and get them appraised and keep them?  If you're getting them appraised to keep them is the appraisal for insurance?

My Goal is to get them Graded and maybe sell some but, Main Goal is to fine out value of collection and get  insurance for them.

The appraisal is to make sure I protect the collectibles in case of events I can't control. Right now I'm working on getting them graded. 

On 5/3/2022 at 6:30 PM, shadroch said:

this should be a stickied post!

I would add that you should think of comics as people to determine if they are old or not. 50 years, sounds old but a 50 yr old person is really only a little old. 65/70 years, people and comics both starting to get old and after that, sure, we all agree it is old. I just made up the ages but you get the general idea, which is the major point.

On 5/3/2022 at 7:11 PM, Toz said:

I just love that pharse "you know, that thing they don't do."

Sounds like they have an ideal on value but from a legal stand point don't want to add  apprasial service to there company model  which I can understand . CGC seems to be an umpire they call balls an strikes

On 5/3/2022 at 5:30 PM, shadroch said:

comics with a cover price of .50 cents or less  are good, 20 cent and 25 cent better, 12 cents or less best.

comics that look like they were read a few times are good, read once and put away better, never read and carefully stored best. 

Marvel Comics  are the best, DC are okay and companies like Charleton, Archie and Gold Key have little value. 

First appearances are a big deal in this market and often the character may not be on the cover so real research is needed.

There are lots of exceptions to the above rules 

Modern books have different rules but you said your collection ends around 1983.

I Thank you or your thoughts and knowledge , i had figure out the structure base on price  and years . you have had a membership with CGC for 12 years .What made you become a member ?  how long have you collected comics ?