• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Modern Grail Club
3 3

125 posts in this topic

On 6/22/2022 at 10:36 PM, Otter1775 said:

I just looked for it to on the bay. I didn’t se it either.

It was one that looked like this 

but it’s gone. You’re right, that listing has vanished

814C3284-F1EB-4BC6-BDB3-34EAD062BF4A.jpeg

On 6/22/2022 at 7:55 PM, D2 said:

It is gone. 

I swear there was a listing yesterday for a 9.8 and it had a side profile sketch of Abby right by her own butt by Campbell too. 

and it is now gone. Hm… I’m sorry. I feel disappointed, and a bit silly. 

I can’t even see it in completed listings

Yeah I haven't seen one of those listed for sale in about 8 months.  

-J.

On 6/22/2022 at 11:21 PM, World Devourer said:

That one was owned by Excalibur Comics.

Is it possible they would list it back up?

or someone made a false listing

On 6/23/2022 at 1:43 PM, D2 said:

Is it possible they would list it back up?

or someone made a false listing

In recent times there have been attempts to artficially inflate the price of variants, which I suspect happened with the Virgin Edition of Vengeance of Moon Knight #1 (post on other thread about item now selling for $15K and not being in reality).

This might be the case here (someone posts the item at a ridiculous price, and then under another account uses the Buy It Now option).

On 5/3/2022 at 8:05 AM, Westy Steve said:

Post your modern “Grail*”.  Something in your personal collection and not your dealer inventory.  

I don't have a "dealer inventory" but I have a lot of books I like. :grin:

On 5/7/2022 at 1:12 PM, october said:

The modern (excluding Copper) part of my collection is so small it almost doesn't exist. Couldn't part with this one though. 

NM range newsstand version. 

UF 4 news.jpg

For example, but for Miles, there is absolutely nothing special about this book. (No offense meant to October.)

On 5/3/2022 at 6:52 PM, LovetheLizard said:

Amazing Spider-Man #667 Dell'Otto variant

IMG_4199.JPG

And there is even less to declare about this book, but for it's alleged scarcity, it's not even artistic . . . It is simply bad art. :sumo:

On 5/3/2022 at 8:05 AM, Westy Steve said:

The other groups have “clubs” for various key issues. Seems that we should have at least one for modern Comics.  My apologies if this thread exists elsewhere. 

Post your modern “Grail*”.  Something in your personal collection and not your dealer inventory.  

I’ll start us off.  

*note: yes, I’m using the term “Grail” loosely. If this makes you want to fight about it, you’re kind of a weeny. 

E13E4E16-AB43-4BB5-BCEA-5B940C5B77F5.jpeg

I guess I'm kind of a weeny, because I think this cover is perhaps the worst rendition of Gwen Stacy . . . EVER. Period.

Please feel free to voice your own opinions, but where is the hobby going if this thread represents our body of collectors' alleged Grails? Down the toilet I say (much like Bitcoin).

Edited by divad

On 6/22/2022 at 10:11 PM, World Devourer said:

I think the same about IH#181.

It was a blah story that introduced a character who only became popular later.

Hugely popular, however, so at least there's some justification for its significance to the hobby, but frankly, What has Miles done? His only achievement is to be the first non-white spider-man.  And don't misinterpret me, I am a principled supporter of all things progressive, integrated and non-white (or however you wish to categorize or define it.)

In fact, I'd have to spend quite a bit more time to choose a modern age grail (if any there are) to post, instead of the collected knee-jerk fanboy responses that have been posted here. Self admittedly, to me, the comic art form begins with "comic art" not some trumped-up scarcity, sociological act or declaration. Frankly, it takes both great art and social upheaval, not just one of those elements. "With great power comes great responsibility." :sumo:

Edited by divad

And I guess I'll close this evening with the quote commonly attributed to Groucho Marx, "I wouldn't want to be part of any club which would have me as a member . . ."  which certainly could have been Samuel Clemens or Cicero. :bigsmile: (There should be a Groucho emoji to insert here but they all suck too.)

QMT21h.jpg

Edited by divad

On 6/22/2022 at 10:22 PM, divad said:

Hugely popular, however, so at least there's some justification for its significance to the hobby, but frankly, What has Miles done? His only achievement is to be the first non-white spider-man. And don't misinterpret me, I am a principled supporter of all things progressive, integrated and non-white (or however you wish to categorize or define it.)

Miguel O'Hara and Hobart Brown don't count?

-J

On 6/22/2022 at 10:31 PM, divad said:

In fact, I'd have to spend quite a bit more time to choose a modern age grail (if any there are) to post, instead of the collected knee-jerk fanboy responses that have been posted here. Self admittedly, to me, the comic art form begins with "comic art" not some trumped-up scarcity, sociological act or declaration. Frankly, it takes both great art and social upheaval, not just one of those elements. "With great power comes great responsibility." :sumo:

By even your own oddly rigid criteria I would say the Batman 608RRP would have to qualify.  It has everything from a first appearance, to an iconic Jim Lee cover (that was even used as a movie poster), to scarcity.  It also was a harbinger for all the variants that we see today.  

-J.

On 6/23/2022 at 5:00 PM, Jaydogrules said:

By even your own oddly rigid criteria I would say the Batman 608RRP would have to qualify.  It has everything from a first appearance, to an iconic Jim Lee cover (that was even used as a movie poster), to scarcity.  It also was a harbinger for all the variants that we see today.  

-J.

Well said, and good points, (I can't believe I just said that about a Jaydog post) but the RRP aspect turns me off tremendously. :bigsmile: