• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Modern Grail Club
3 3

125 posts in this topic

20220507_165954.thumb.jpg.cd1ecc137ab6f3670ca6599ab0eec438.jpg

Okay, maybe this doesn't make too much sense at first...but there are only sixteen 9.8s on the census, and only SEVEN variant 9.8s in existence. (It is very likely that this is the only "old label" TR/WB 9.8 variant in existence). It's the first Lara Croft appearance, and I've always kind of felt it is super undervalued.

My TRUE grail that I've been hunting for, as dumb as it may seem, is a 9.8 copy of "Street Fighter: The Movie." (Yes the Jean Claude Van Damme film). There's only 3 on the census, and no 9.8s. (I'm not pretending it is cool OR will be valuable...but it was the movie my wife and I saw on our very first date). 

On 5/7/2022 at 4:09 PM, pmWolf said:

Okay, maybe this doesn't make too much sense at first...but there are only sixteen 9.8s on the census, and only SEVEN variant 9.8s in existence. (It is very likely that this is the only "old label" TR/WB 9.8 variant in existence). It's the first Lara Croft appearance, and I've always kind of felt it is super undervalued.

My TRUE grail that I've been hunting for, as dumb as it may seem, is a 9.8 copy of "Street Fighter: The Movie." (Yes the Jean Claude Van Damme film). There's only 3 on the census, and no 9.8s. (I'm not pretending it is cool OR will be valuable...but it was the movie my wife and I saw on our very first date). 

:whee:

I remember being in 6th or 7th grade, around the time of the movie, if memory serves. I had got a street fighter comic around then, I thought I was a big shot lol

I remember comics being the same as they are now, "that character has this back story, they wouldnt say or do that!"

Lol good times!

On 5/7/2022 at 4:09 PM, pmWolf said:

You may have to submit your own to get a 9.8 on that Street Fighter book. I've found that a lot of weird, B-tier (or Z-tier) Moderns with a handful of books on census just never show back up for sale. I presume they're in personal collections of people who wanted them to begin with.

That book, in particular, is going to be tricky. As I'm sure you know, it was sold polybagged, and we all know by now that tends to make defect-free books tough, if just because of the bag seam. I guess the good news is that, while not exactly common, it isn't one of the really scarce Moderns; making some educated guesses about the Diamond preorder index rank for that month, I'd expect there were somewhere in the 15,000 to 20,000 of these preordered. Which means scaring up a 9.8 candidate (which may need a press because bag seam) will take some hunting, but should be at least possible.

On 5/7/2022 at 5:34 PM, Qalyar said:

You may have to submit your own to get a 9.8 on that Street Fighter book. I've found that a lot of weird, B-tier (or Z-tier) Moderns with a handful of books on census just never show back up for sale. I presume they're in personal collections of people who wanted them to begin with.

That book, in particular, is going to be tricky. As I'm sure you know, it was sold polybagged, and we all know by now that tends to make defect-free books tough, if just because of the bag seam. I guess the good news is that, while not exactly common, it isn't one of the really scarce Moderns; making some educated guesses about the Diamond preorder index rank for that month, I'd expect there were somewhere in the 15,000 to 20,000 of these preordered. Which means scaring up a 9.8 candidate (which may need a press because bag seam) will take some hunting, but should be at least possible.

I DID send a copy in to CGC, although I don't think it'll hit a 9.8 (for the reasons you mentioned).

However, I am very likely to have one of the top-3 graded ones in existence when it comes back. = )

On 5/7/2022 at 4:40 PM, pmWolf said:

I DID send a copy in to CGC, although I don't think it'll hit a 9.8 (for the reasons you mentioned).

However, I am very likely to have one of the top-3 graded ones in existence when it comes back. = )

I've been trying to find gradeable copies of DC's 2012 Diablo III mini-series for similar reasons. My fiancee and I still couch coop that game periodically. But Diamond orders for those books are more like 5000 per issue, no one cared about them when they launched, and no one has kept track of them since. So I might have to give up on that, and go back to looking for easier books, like poorly-documented promotional giveaways....

On 5/8/2022 at 10:49 AM, Sauce Dog said:

My modern grail trio.

4AlYdUR-4.thumb.jpg.6e34d9d3461558a98f08294c25558135.jpg

A LCS has that dime press for sale, the 1st I'd heard of it, it's a couple grand worth :eek: still that is commitment! Congratulations :x 

On 5/8/2022 at 1:30 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

A LCS has that dime press for sale, the 1st I'd heard of it, it's a couple grand worth :eek: still that is commitment! Congratulations :x 

Thanks - I thought I was priced out of ever owning one but this copy I jumped on immediately when it was listed on eBay about two years ago for an obscenely low price.

It's a fun oddity, but honestly unless you are a super Hellboy fan it isn't necessary - the SDCC is the actual real first appearance and has a lower print run as well (but not as cool a cover obviously)

On 5/8/2022 at 4:14 PM, darkstar said:

You're missing Dark Horse Tip Sheet #12

That doesn't have any importance to it as far as I'm aware, it's not even listed by Mignola himself in the Hellboy list. Only one I'm missing is the Salt Lake City Comic Con Program, but I honestly have no desire to pay for it as it's so far removed from the actual final Hellboy it doesn't do anything for me.

On 5/8/2022 at 3:58 PM, Sauce Dog said:

That doesn't have any importance to it as far as I'm aware, it's not even listed by Mignola himself in the Hellboy list. Only one I'm missing is the Salt Lake City Comic Con Program, but I honestly have no desire to pay for it as it's so far removed from the actual final Hellboy it doesn't do anything for me.

It previews Next Men 21.

On 5/9/2022 at 9:14 AM, valiantman said:

I have a similar trio, without the signatures, but with a fourth book that might be the biggest grail of the four. (thumbsu

900942817_0159572003_3001.jpg.62fe3d3161a2ec84df0f81147f483d18.jpg 1276273452_0969946001_3001.jpg.03d5bc1c274b6e1446970a1544d90cb7.jpg 476510899_0752810059_3001.jpg.70ce4ac8bf3f20b1f5ae26ac31ba2b11.jpg 171994239_0282267001_3001.jpg.6d9fc197f3a410cfe571fab2e6957304.jpg

That's a really sharp copy of a really tough book. I'm guessing you also have the Hellboy: the Storm #1 BPRD Members Only exclusive (I think CGC just called it "Sketch Variant")?

On 5/9/2022 at 9:27 AM, Qalyar said:

That's a really sharp copy of a really tough book. I'm guessing you also have the Hellboy: the Storm #1 BPRD Members Only exclusive (I think CGC just called it "Sketch Variant")?

Nope, I only have Fury #3 variant because someone put it on eBay at a low price with a Buy It Now option.  I already had the other three for the early appearances and the Fury #3 was just luck.

On 5/9/2022 at 7:27 AM, valiantman said:

The first Bloodshot #0 Platinum discovered, documented, and CGC graded in 2003.  I've had it 5 years.

1671842076_0086707001_12001.jpg.72235126a9c869dd2fdd84dce0374681.jpg

So, what are the odds I can get a copy?