• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Modern Grail Club
3 3

125 posts in this topic

On 6/20/2022 at 4:29 AM, comicartfan said:

2607202052041.jpg

No offense to ComicArtFan (whose opinions I generally respect,) but this cover is pure schlock. But since it's all about the money with you guys . . . have at it. :peace:

On 6/21/2022 at 1:01 PM, Jaydogrules said:

Nope !  Top 5 (or 6, actually).  At least based on the criteria I have used for the last 6 years.  Sketched covers don't make my list and nether do covers like danger girl 2 where there is nothing different (iie "variant") about the art. Meaning no glitter, hologram, etc 1990s type gimmicks.

-J.

Noted, but the Ruby Red Danger Girl #2 does have a hefty price tag as it is a variant. It seems to have overcome any perceptions about being just another gimmicky version.

By the by, I'm OK either way as I own an ASM #678 variant in 9.8 W. :cloud9:

Edited by World Devourer

On 6/21/2022 at 5:33 AM, World Devourer said:

Noted, but the Ruby Red Danger Girl #2 does have a hefty price tag as it is a variant. It seems to have overcome any perceptions about being just another gimmicky version.

By the by, I'm OK either way as I own an ASM #678 variant in 9.8 W. :cloud9:

I’ve always wanted to get a ruby red but it’s a really pricey variant, especially in a 9.8

I thought too, and I don’t know how true this is, but I read somewhere that there are close to 10,000 ruby red copies? That can’t be right?

On 6/21/2022 at 9:57 AM, D2 said:

I’ve always wanted to get a ruby red but it’s a really pricey variant, especially in a 9.8

I thought too, and I don’t know how true this is, but I read somewhere that there are close to 10,000 ruby red copies? That can’t be right?

I believe it was advertised as a limited edition of 400. Now, advertised print runs don't always strictly match reality because of how printing works, but I don't think there's any realistic way that there were 10K of them produced. I don't even think there were 10K copies of the non-red, non-platinum version of that cover.

On 6/21/2022 at 7:57 AM, D2 said:

After about 20 years of submissions there are still only 40 copes on the census, so not hardly.  

https://recalledcomics.com/DangerGirl2RubyRed.php

@World Devourer After doing some more research I actually may have to reconsider my position on including the danger girl 2 ruby red on the list that I maintain.  Evidently, it is in fact unique art relative to cover A, with the different colored lettering on the title being sub-variants.

You might be right after all.  (thumbsu

-J.

On 6/21/2022 at 11:20 AM, Jaydogrules said:

After about 20 years of submissions there are still only 40 copes on the census, so not hardly.  

https://recalledcomics.com/DangerGirl2RubyRed.php

@World Devourer After doing some more research I actually may have to reconsider my position on including the danger girl 2 ruby red on the list that I maintain.  Evidently, it is in fact unique art relative to cover A, with the different colored lettering on the title being sub-variants.

You might be right after all.  (thumbsu

-J.

It's weird, because 90s Image. The "smoking gun" cover art is, itself, a variant cover. That variant cover art comes with three different logo colors: normal, platinum, ruby red.

I was just talking about this book to a friend of mine. There was a vendor at the 1998 SDCC selling them at $100 a pop. Thankfully, I was able to purchase one, which remained sleeved for 19+ years, until I sent it into Comic Sketch Art to have J. Scott Campbell sign it at the 2017 Boston Comic-Con. Initially, came back a 9.6, re-submitted with a press; 9.8. I was under the impression that there were approximately 400 copies produced. The gentleman at the con had well over 30 I think. 

82D8CD62-D788-4B87-BAF6-1D6E8DD01350.png

On 6/21/2022 at 5:51 PM, Otter1775 said:

I was just talking about this book to a friend of mine. There was a vendor at the 1998 SDCC selling them at $100 a pop. Thankfully, I was able to purchase one, which remained sleeved for 19+ years, until I sent it into Comic Sketch Art to have J. Scott Campbell sign it at the 2017 Boston Comic-Con. Initially, came back a 9.6, re-submitted with a press; 9.8. I was under the impression that there were approximately 400 copies produced. The gentleman at the con had well over 30 I think. 

82D8CD62-D788-4B87-BAF6-1D6E8DD01350.png

(worship)

On 6/21/2022 at 10:27 PM, Otter1775 said:

Thank you, D2. 

Of course! It’s so stunning. The signature placement is ideal. And the 9.6 to 9.8 press makes it for a perfect gem in the collection. I’m sure you felt like you earned that one lol

On 6/22/2022 at 1:03 PM, D2 said:

Of course! It’s so stunning. The signature placement is ideal. And the 9.6 to 9.8 press makes it for a perfect gem in the collection. I’m sure you felt like you earned that one lol

It is this season's hot new item.

Now tying in with the upcoming Retro Month.

Look for the limited edition t-shirts and other apparel.

There's even a Danger Girl video game being released by From Software (of Souls series fame). Be sure to look for the Limited Edition "Bullet" version (500 copies) with an exclusive poster and genuine silver bullet, priced at only $500.

For true fans, there is an exclusive Ruby Red edition (20 copies) with extra content and an actual ruby and certificate of authentication, priced at only $5;000!

It's a great time for Danger Girl fans.

😉

On 6/21/2022 at 11:03 PM, D2 said:

I would certainly agree with you on the well earned part. I was devastated when it returned a 9.6. I took it to my LCS owner and had him give it a once over. He recommended re-submitting, which I did with the press. Plus, I also reached out to members on here and asked their opinions on the matter.The package got misplaced too, upon its arrival back in El Paso, TX. 

On 6/22/2022 at 2:10 AM, World Devourer said:

It is this season's hot new item.

Now tying in with the upcoming Retro Month.

Look for the limited edition t-shirts and other apparel.

There's even a Danger Girl video game being released by From Software (of Souls series fame). Be sure to look for the Limited Edition "Bullet" version (500 copies) with an exclusive poster and genuine silver bullet, priced at only $500.

For true fans, there is an exclusive Ruby Red edition (20 copies) with extra content and an actual ruby and certificate of authentication, priced at only $5;000!

It's a great time for Danger Girl fans.

😉

lol $5000 is almost the price of the regular ruby red. I just noticed there is one on eBay right now. I think my window of opportunity has passed on that book unfortunately. 

I will check out the game though. No doubt they are working to really haul in the Battle Chasers fan base. 

thanks for the heads up!

On 6/22/2022 at 9:47 PM, Otter1775 said:

I would certainly agree with you on the well earned part. I was devastated when it returned a 9.6. I took it to my LCS owner and had him give it a once over. He recommended re-submitting, which I did with the press. Plus, I also reached out to members on here and asked their opinions on the matter.The package got misplaced too, upon its arrival back in El Paso, TX. 

Lost book too! I would have been losing my mind. Especially since you submitted it a decade after purchasing. Way too much anxiety around that submission. Keep that for life. It was meant to stay with you forever I’m thinking 

On 6/22/2022 at 7:04 PM, D2 said:

lol $5000 is almost the price of the regular ruby red. I just noticed there is one on eBay right now. I think my window of opportunity has passed on that book unfortunately. 

I will check out the game though. No doubt they are working to really haul in the Battle Chasers fan base. 

thanks for the heads up!

Lost book too! I would have been losing my mind. Especially since you submitted it a decade after purchasing. Way too much anxiety around that submission. Keep that for life. It was meant to stay with you forever I’m thinking 

Do you have a link to that listing?  I don't see it.  

I don't think you'll see another 9.8 ruby red for less than 8k.  Maybe even $10k

-J.

On 6/22/2022 at 10:34 PM, Jaydogrules said:

I don't think you'll see another 9.8 ruby red for less than 8k.  Maybe even $10k

-J.

I just looked for it to on the bay. I didn’t se it either.

On 6/22/2022 at 10:34 PM, Jaydogrules said:

-J.

It is gone. 

I swear there was a listing yesterday for a 9.8 and it had a side profile sketch of Abby right by her own butt by Campbell too. 

and it is now gone. Hm… I’m sorry. I feel disappointed, and a bit silly. 

I can’t even see it in completed listings