• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Any pedigree experts out there? Adding a couple more...
1 1

42 posts in this topic

On 5/5/2022 at 12:52 PM, Courageous Cat said:

I mean, just sayin'

DilxuqzWkAAtvC2.jpeg

Yeah, claiming something is a pedigree based on one cursive letter, seems the opposite of preserving provenance.  

Especially when there are distributor markings that are just one letter.

Edited by sfcityduck

On 5/5/2022 at 10:01 AM, sfcityduck said:
On 5/5/2022 at 9:52 AM, Courageous Cat said:

I mean, just sayin'

DilxuqzWkAAtvC2.jpeg

Expand  

Yeah, claiming something is a pedigree based on one cursive letter, seems the opposite of preserving provenance.  

Especially when there are distributor markings that are just one letter.

I must have missed something. When was the Detroit Trolley Collection determined to be a pedigree? (shrug)

I had to look it up, never hearing about this collection before.

Here's some info for anyone else wondering.

Can anyone shed some light on why this is not a CGC-recognized pedigree? Is the collection as a whole not in a high enough grade?

On 5/3/2022 at 6:09 PM, thewritestuff said:

I bought this comic, and someone suggested that the "L" on the front cover could indicate a pedigree. This does look to be an old-school case going back about 15 or so years, so I guess it's possible that CGC didn't recognize it as such (if, in fact, it IS a pedigree).

I am pretty sure the Adventures into Darkness is a Bethlehem copy. Not sure about the Lucky Comics 2. Again, opinions welcome...

Thanks in advance.

luck comics 2 image 2.jpeg

In regard to the Lucky #2, Crippen D's contain a coding system (which has yet to be cracked) on the inside pages.  They usually came with a certificate from Heritage.

D's on the cover also look different, albeit not consistent based on my copies.

IMAG3970.jpg

comic243-scaled.jpg

PM16-Crippen.jpg

img048-973x1484.jpg

jpg110.jpg

Police-Comics-31-scaled.jpg

comix088.jpg

PC96.jpg

Police-Comics-62-scaled.jpg

Comic084-scaled.jpg

Edited by path4play

On 5/7/2022 at 5:18 PM, path4play said:

Crippen D's contain a coding system (which has yet to be cracked) on the inside pages.  The usually came with a certificate from Heritage.

IMAG3970.jpg

PM16-Crippen.jpg

jpg110.jpg

comix088.jpg

PC96.jpg

Comic084-scaled.jpg

Thank you for taking the time to share the information and photographs! 

On 5/8/2022 at 6:18 AM, path4play said:

In regard to the Lucky #2, Crippen D's contain a coding system (which has yet to be cracked) on the inside pages.  They usually came with a certificate from Heritage.

Wow, I'm shocked that code hasn't been cracked. Seems like that would make a great thread; "Crackin' the Crippen Code!" Wonder if there are enough examples out there to figure it out. Too bad CGC doesn't photo doc the inside code for reference (I assume they don't.)

Great Plastic Man books by the way; real beauties from an under appreciated hero and title.

On 5/7/2022 at 8:49 PM, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

Wow, I'm shocked that code hasn't been cracked. Seems like that would make a great thread; "Crackin' the Crippen Code!" Wonder if there are enough examples out there to figure it out. Too bad CGC doesn't photo doc the inside code for reference (I assume they don't.)

Great Plastic Man books by the way; real beauties from an under appreciated hero and title.

My Dad's favorites were Plastic Man, Captain Marvel and Superman. In that order. Captain Marvel was pretty popular in those days.

On 5/7/2022 at 2:18 PM, path4play said:

IMAG3970.jpg

comic243-scaled.jpg

PM16-Crippen.jpg

img048-973x1484.jpg

jpg110.jpg

Police-Comics-31-scaled.jpg

comix088.jpg

PC96.jpg

Comic084-scaled.jpg

I believe the Crippen code was cracked. The first set of numbers indicated the total amount of comics he had up until that point. The middle notation was the publisher. And the last notation was the total number of copies of that publisher he had. @Timely can correct me if I am wrong. 

On 5/7/2022 at 8:49 PM, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

No, they don’t. They do count pages and look for anything missing inside. But once slabbed the contents become secondary.

For a long time I wanted them to note the contents of my EC annuals on the slab. It took Jim Halperin to get the job done.

On the rare occasions I have had books slabbed, I took pictures of codes, interior autographs and things of historical interest before sending them in. They are important to me and I feel would probably be also important to the next owner.