• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Any pedigree experts out there? Adding a couple more...
1 1

42 posts in this topic

I bought this comic, and someone suggested that the "L" on the front cover could indicate a pedigree. This does look to be an old-school case going back about 15 or so years, so I guess it's possible that CGC didn't recognize it as such (if, in fact, it IS a pedigree).

I am pretty sure the Adventures into Darkness is a Bethlehem copy. Not sure about the Lucky Comics 2. Again, opinions welcome...

Thanks in advance.

FA521F8E-FE3E-488E-8C23-0FEEBEEE3D01_1_201_a.jpeg

B9C9EE89-CD76-4794-9933-8E67B3E4FDB0_1_201_a.jpeg

Adventures into Darkness 6.jpeg

Adventures into Darkness 6 back cover Bethlehem Pedigree - not noted on label.jpeg

lucky comics 2 image 1.jpeg

luck comics 2 image 2.jpeg

Edited by thewritestuff

If you have an "L" distributor code, it is not a Larson.

Nice book, btw. :foryou:

On 5/4/2022 at 10:46 AM, MasterChief said:

Detroit Trolley Collection is my guess, too.

The "L" on the Sky Blazers #2 is characteristic of the cursive "L" found on the Trolley books.

However, the Sky Blazers was certified in August of 2003, which predates the announcement of the Trolley collection find by 20 months. Also, Marnin Rosenberg sold the books raw with a certificate of restoration evaluation by Susan Cicconi. He did not have the books graded by CGC.

That said, it's possible that this particular book found its way out of the original owner's assemblage before Marnin discovered the collection. I believe there were rumors that some books were separated from the collection before Marnin's involvement.

Below is a link to the Scoop article announcing the collection. It's about halfway down the webpage and titled "Golden Age Collection Discovered."

https://scoop.previewsworld.com/Search/Article?query=Golden Age Collection Discovered&page=6

The golden days of GA collections surfacing. Not only the Trolley collection but the Crippen announced the same week!

I will see if I can dig out my one or two Trolleys later to show the “L”

On 5/4/2022 at 1:46 PM, MasterChief said:

Detroit Trolley Collection is my guess, too.

The "L" on the Sky Blazers #2 is characteristic of the cursive "L" found on the Trolley books.

However, the Sky Blazers was certified in August of 2003, which predates the announcement of the Trolley collection find by 20 months. Also, Marnin Rosenberg sold the books raw with a certificate of restoration evaluation by Susan Cicconi. He did not have the books graded by CGC.

That said, it's possible that this particular book found its way out of the original owner's assemblage before Marnin discovered the collection. I believe there were rumors that some books were separated from the collection before Marnin's involvement.

Below is a link to the Scoop article announcing the collection. It's about halfway down the webpage and titled "Golden Age Collection Discovered."

https://scoop.previewsworld.com/Search/Article?query=Golden Age Collection Discovered&page=6

Thank you for the information!

On 5/4/2022 at 6:52 PM, Robot Man said:

Here is a Detroit Trolley bought directly from the source.

47A1BC9E-01E8-4778-808F-26B1EDA15AEF.jpeg

D790DE3C-09C4-4C8F-A4F0-D3329C276758.jpeg

Thanks for going through the trouble of digging that out. I'm no expert, but I think the two letters look to have been written by a different person?

On 5/4/2022 at 1:16 PM, thewritestuff said:

Thanks for going through the trouble of digging that out. I'm no expert, but I think the two letters look to have been written by a different person?

Here's a Trolley with the "L" that looks similar to yours. (Unfortunately, it's not my book :()

image.thumb.jpeg.8e02673d6693f267844df597339dde09.jpeg

On 5/4/2022 at 1:53 PM, MasterChief said:
On 5/3/2022 at 12:09 PM, thewritestuff said:

Adventures into Darkness 6.jpegAdventures into Darkness 6 back cover Bethlehem Pedigree - not noted on label.jpeg

This book is from the Bethlehem pedigree. Stamp on back cover is a dead giveaway. https://www.cgccomics.com/resources/pedigree/bethlehem/

Here's the Bethlehem copy of Adventures into Darkness #5.

It's properly designated as a Bethlehem. Back cover has the stamp, too.

How CGC missed the #6 as being from the pedigree is beyond me. :facepalm:

lf?set=path%5B2%2F3%2F7%2F6%2F2376561%5D&call=url%5Bfile%3Aproduct.chain%5Dlf?set=path%5B2%2F3%2F7%2F6%2F2376562%5D&call=url%5Bfile%3Aproduct.chain%5D