• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is it false or misleading advertising when a comic has a cool cover but unappealing interior art?
1 1

79 posts in this topic

On 5/5/2022 at 6:55 PM, StillOnly25Cents said:

for as great and iconic as the cover to Hulk 340 is, the guts are a monstrosity of mediocrity

Pure luck that he came up with a classic bit of cover design. The interior art hasn’t aged well. Hard to believe his style seemed so fresh and exciting at the time, and that I looked forward to something from McFarlane every month.

Edited by Ken Aldred

On 5/5/2022 at 7:35 PM, Sal said:

one of history's greatest tragedies is the decision to put Dillin on the JLA and then keep him for one hundred issues

Yup. A classic example of great cover artist (Adams and Cardy) and mediocre interior art.

Edited by Ken Aldred

On 5/5/2022 at 2:31 PM, Ken Aldred said:

Pure luck that he came up with a classic bit of cover design. The interior art hasn’t aged well. Hard to believe his style seemed so fresh and exciting at the time, and that I looked forward to something from McFarlane every month.

When I was a kid/teen fully coming into my purest comic fandom, McFarlane was all the rage. I didn't care for the Hulk, but his Spideys were an event. Seemed so wild. I recently reread his ASM run in Omni form, and wow, it's even worse than I'd feared. The earlier issues were shored up a bit by having competent inkers (I can't recall who...Bob McLeod, maybe? ) but there is some crazy bad art in there. I'll admit that there are a few flashes of brilliance that give you that old charge, but for the most part, McFarlane couldn't draw his way out of a wet paper bag. He improved as his time  on the title progressed, but it's still pretty amazing that he became such a star, considering those extremely shaky beginnings.

On 5/4/2022 at 10:21 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

708C8999-AE26-45E6-8965-DA644C8D51AC.thumb.jpeg.9fb4469d0b2dfd5c879962d444f39bec.jpeg

The Human Fly?

That's a stupid name, kid.

Introducing..........THE AMAZING FLYDER-MAN ! ! !

Flyder-Man, Flyder-Man,

Does whatever a Flyder can

Eats the poop, any size,

Catches thieves just like flies

Look Out!

Here comes the Flyder-Man.

On 5/5/2022 at 2:09 PM, Domo Arigato said:

The Human Fly?

That's a stupid name, kid.

Introducing..........THE AMAZING FLYDER-MAN ! ! !

Flyder-Man, Flyder-Man,

Does whatever a Flyder can

Eats the poop, any size,

Catches thieves just like flies

Look Out!

Here comes the Flyder-Man.

On 5/5/2022 at 10:32 AM, D84 said:

It's worse today. All the beautiful variants by some of today's best comic artists and interiors look like they were done by people who flunked out of art school.

Shouldn't the major qualification to be one of "today's best comic artists" be the ability to tell a story with sequential art?

On 5/5/2022 at 10:19 AM, What'sTheNumberFor911? said:

Or Irv Novick (see Batman #221, #222, #227, #241, etc).

Irv didn't bother me as much. He started pencilling in an Adams style, and then Giordano's inks held it together. Robbins looked like he should have been drawing Peter Porkchops.

On 5/5/2022 at 9:58 PM, Larryw7 said:

Irv didn't bother me as much. He started pencilling in an Adams style, and then Giordano's inks held it together. Robbins looked like he should have been drawing Peter Porkchops.

His original Caniff-influenced style is okay (Johnny Hazard).  I can see how DC might've thought his heavily-shadowed style could've worked on Batman, but it didn't.  And, he was no super-hero comic artist - a complete mismatch.  

Edited by Ken Aldred

On 5/6/2022 at 12:03 AM, THE_BEYONDER said:

Here’s one that goes the other way....

Absolutely dreadful cover.   Looks like Cockrum was channeling Robbins:insane:

89789FCB-3722-4F0C-8620-2AEE26208A34.thumb.jpeg.455d07e079e0ef1ddc011139b42e86fb.jpeg

But the interiors are done by Buscema/Janson & are pretty awesome 😎 

Reminds me of this...

ca183n.jpg?w=630

On 5/4/2022 at 8:42 PM, MattrixAlien said:

Have you ever bought a comic because the cover was cool, but when you read it, the interior art was by a different artist, who's style you didn't like? Are there any examples you can share?

To me it's basically false or at least misleading advertising. You understandably think the art inside is going to be like what's on the outside. Yes, I know art is very subjective and what I don't like others will love.

An example for me are the Batman books of the late 80s to early 90s. You've got cool covers by the likes Kelley Jones & Mike Mignola. But the interior art was by Jim Aparo. His style at this stage in his career was flat, repetitive, minimalist and for me really unappealing.

After getting burnt by this cover bait and switch a few times as a kid I always checked the interior art before buying a comic. Don't judge a book by it's cover they say for good reason. However books particularly at LCS are often sold prebagged & sealed so it might not be possible to flip through the pages to confirm if you like the art.

Do you have any examples of buying books based on the cover and being disappointed by the interior art?

It's called the 70's or my youth.

On 5/5/2022 at 11:14 AM, JEFFROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO said:

I'm reminded of several early issues of Web of Spiderman that had nice covers by Vess or Byrne and then when you opened it up you were treated to stuff like Greg LaRocque and Jim Mooney. :p Not that those guys were ever as bad as Robbins or Coletta but it sure was pedestrian. 

Jim Mooney :tonofbricks:

19E15326-C70E-4D9F-AB4A-B5FF9E1439B7.thumb.jpeg.6f01798568c63f29ecf6e7c83c5cc386.jpeg

C3174183-D363-4038-B8FF-38DF6DBD2320.thumb.jpeg.a402a9cdc2d3aca89e05f7129aeabe55.jpeg