• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Grade Prescreen - Is there a strategy or psychology to it?

12 posts in this topic

First of all, I want to thank all the great responses from everyone for my previous questions. You all have been tremendous guiding me through getting a large number of my comics graded!

I have identified over 25 Modern Age comics that I think would be good candidates for this service. I am trying to figure out what minimum grade I should ask for -  9.8? Or maybe down to 9.4 or 9.6? I plan on getting them all pressed first and I would be shocked if at least a good percentage of them will not get a 9.8. I could live with a few of them receiving a lower grade, but if you believe a good percentage are definitely a 9.8, is it sending a message to CGC that a person will accept the lower grade and therefore makes it easier for the grader not to give a 9.8 because now the grader knows the submitter thinks the books are below a 9.8? If the grader knows the submitter believes the books are 9.8, does it not put the grader in the position of disproving what the submitter thinks? Then again, I think I am overthinking this whole thing. LOL. 

Thanks again to everyone! 

On 5/10/2022 at 12:00 PM, O Doyle Rules said:

is it sending a message to CGC that a person will accept the lower grade and therefore makes it easier for the grader not to give a 9.8

That is something you don't have to worry about.

As to what grade should you prescreen for - is your purpose to sell these?  if so then you'd have to figure out what is the lowest grade that gives you an acceptable amount of profit.  If you're not already aware of it, you could post some of them on the "Spare A Grade" forum to get an idea if there's flaws you're not picking up on

I think you're overthinking it.  THere might be a psychology to it, but you'll never know it.

Just act in good faith towards yourself and do what makes the most sense for you.

On 5/10/2022 at 12:15 PM, csaag said:

That is something you don't have to worry about.

As to what grade should you prescreen for - is your purpose to sell these?  if so then you'd have to figure out what is the lowest grade that gives you an acceptable amount of profit.  If you're not already aware of it, you could post some of them on the "Spare A Grade" forum to get an idea if there's flaws you're not picking up on

^^

On 5/10/2022 at 12:15 PM, revat said:

I think you're overthinking it.  There might be a psychology to it, but you'll never know it.

Just act in good faith towards yourself and do what makes the most sense for you.

Yea, I realized after posting this that I have become this guy: 

3077938-1931379306-incon.jpg

9.8, is it sending a message to CGC that a person will accept the lower grade and therefore makes it easier for the grader not to give a 9.8 because now the grader knows the submitter thinks the books are below a 9.8? 

You'd like to think no matter what grade a book gets... It is deserved. 

You'd hope that some grades aren't given "because it's easier to give". 

But when you see as many videos/IG posts/posts here/various conversations with other collectors as I have, showing inaccurate and inconsistent grading, it's hard to trust any of that. 

My opinion is that if you screen at 9.8, you may get more 9.8's because they'll make more money off you. However, that opinion is based on no evidence whatsoever.  But if I ever pre-screened, with CGC, it is what I'd do. 

My advice is screen for 9.8, and for those that come back unslabbed, just resubmit them again.  They may come back 9.8 next time. 

That opinion is based on a lot of evidence. 

If the grader knows the submitter believes the books are 9.8, does it not put the grader in the position of disproving what the submitter thinks? Then again, I think I am overthinking this whole thing. LOL.

The graders will make their own decision based on what they see. Disproving someone else's opinion shouldn't even be part of the equation...  :gossip:

On 5/10/2022 at 12:59 PM, Sigur Ros said:

You'd like to think no matter what grade a book gets... It is deserved. 

You'd hope that some grades aren't given "because it's easier to give". 

But when you see as many videos/IG posts/posts here/various conversations with other collectors as I have, showing inaccurate and inconsistent grading, it's hard to trust any of that. 

My opinion is that if you screen at 9.8, you may get more 9.8's because they'll make more money off you. However, that opinion is based on no evidence whatsoever.  But if I ever pre-screened, with CGC, it is what I'd do. 

My advice is screen for 9.8, and for those that come back unslabbed, just resubmit them again.  They may come back 9.8 next time. 

That opinion is based on a lot of evidence. 

OK, now you have just engaged the conspiracy theory side of my brain again. I think this is the direction I will go. 

On 5/10/2022 at 1:24 PM, O Doyle Rules said:

OK, now you have just engaged the conspiracy theory side of my brain again. I think this is the direction I will go. 

Ignore me.  

Submit how you feel is best for you.  I'm just giving a different side of things but it should have no weight in your decision.