• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Does this seem a wee bit deceptive?
3 3

156 posts in this topic

On 6/6/2022 at 8:01 PM, William-James88 said:

Lol wow, this is bad. I ain't deslabbing a qualified book ever after seeing this.

Just think. This was prior to them eliminating some label notations.  

Now just imagine what these next books may hold as a surprise. :facepalm:

On 6/6/2022 at 9:57 PM, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

Just think. This was prior to them eliminating some label notations.  

Now just imagine what these next books may hold as a surprise. :facepalm:

That qualified label is becoming Shroedinger's slab. Not really related,  but I always remember that story of a fellow boardie who bought a blue label book fir the centerfold he was missing and it turned it to be missing as well. But with the slab opened he now had 0 recourse to prove the issue.

On 6/7/2022 at 8:44 AM, Bookery said:

I don't want to make too much of this.  It's unique.  A one-off.  Others have pointed out what I hadn't originally considered, which is they likely just use a pull-down list of comments.  But it does make a case for allowing some discretion in adding comments for unusual circumstances.  I'm not a fan of secret grader notes period... not even for "all paid subscribers".  CGC has created a product.  That product exists in the world going forward, no matter how many times it changes hands.  It would be best for collectors and CGC if all pertinent notes (I agree with them there is no need to reiterate what is clearly obvious) were on the back of the label.  It bolsters confidence in the company and its products, and enables buyers to judge which non-obvious flaws are important to them (tastes vary).  

I agree with the bolded.

The trouble with releasing all notes on the back of the label is that well, we've already gone down that road.    Notes were on the front as you may recall.    That led to people incorrectly assuming that a 6.0 with no notes was a "better" copy than a 6.0 with notes (when that 6.0 could have been a 7.0 before the notes, or better yet, maybe they are the exact same but one had a defect noted and one they forgot to note it).  

I.e. the market has tended to analyze and overanalyze info on the label.     I think its best they just give a grade and/or grader's notes as is currently the system.    If its something egregious like the example you've brought up, I agree 100% that they should have some discretion to add a custom note.

On 6/6/2022 at 6:01 PM, William-James88 said:

Lol wow, this is bad. I ain't deslabbing a qualified book ever after seeing this.

Be careful deslabbing anything. I have a book that formerly was in a 4.0 universal slab. The graders notes included tanning on the inside covers and top and bottom spine splits. A prior owner cracked it out and the front cover had sheared completely off at some point between grading and freeing from the inner well. CGC appears to ignore  brittleness to spines when grading. If it's intact when graded, fragility is apparently not considered a factor. In my experience the combination of interior cover tanning and spine splits usually leads to bigger spine splits with even minimal handling. 

On 6/7/2022 at 11:32 AM, rjpb said:

Be careful deslabbing anything. 

I deslabbed an Avengers 1 2.0 Universal that had a cracked case.  I was going to just send it but I noticed it had a ton of "pressable defects" so I fully took it out and pressed it and sent it back in..... It came back as a PLOD (bottom edge trimmed).  They missed the trim the 1st time thru.  If I would have just done a straight reholder they would have given me a Blue label.  :facepalm:

On 6/8/2022 at 2:44 PM, gadzukes said:

I deslabbed an Avengers 1 2.0 Universal that had a cracked case.  I was going to just send it but I noticed it had a ton of "pressable defects" so I fully took it out and pressed it and sent it back in..... It came back as a PLOD (bottom edge trimmed).  They missed the trim the 1st time thru.  If I would have just done a straight reholder they would have given me a Blue label.  :facepalm:

I married a wrap once on a low grade book, sold it raw with disclosure. Around a year later I saw it in a blue label slab. They don't catch everything every time, no one does.

On 6/8/2022 at 4:44 PM, gadzukes said:

When?

On 6/8/2022 at 5:16 PM, rjpb said:

I married a wrap once on a low grade book, sold it raw with disclosure. Around a year later I saw it in a blue label slab. They don't catch everything every time, no one does.

When again?

It depends on CGC's time trends.  They may be tight or loose.

On 6/8/2022 at 6:39 PM, JollyComics said:

When?

My Avengers 1 happened recently, within the last couple months.  I asked if there was anything they could do and they gave me the "sometimes things are missed" speech.  But Trimming?  Isn't that supposed to be an easy one?  I got it for a good price, but still.... I'm going to be losing money on it.

Edited by gadzukes

On 6/8/2022 at 5:45 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

What’s a CGC time trend????

I just created the phrase instead writing a long explanation but I knew it is not clear.   Let's clarify it, some years, CGC graders were soft on the books and some years, they were harsh on the books so we can look at their tread through the different times.  Right now, they may be harsh, tight or off rhythm this year.

Edited by JollyComics

On 6/8/2022 at 6:28 PM, gadzukes said:

My Avengers 1 happened recently, within the last couple months.  I asked if there was anything they could do and they gave me the "sometimes things are missed" speech.  But Trimming?  Isn't that supposed to be an easy one?  I got it for a good price, but still.... I'm going to be losing money on it.

Did you keep the old label?

On 6/8/2022 at 9:27 PM, JollyComics said:

I just created the phrase instead writing a long explanation but I knew it is not clear.   Let be clarify it, some years, CGC graders were soft on the books and some years, they were harsh on the books so we can look at their tread through the different times.

I thought that’s what you might be referencing.  But both posts you quoted are about missed restoration.  I would hope that doesn’t fluctuate in the same way.:ohnoez:

On 6/8/2022 at 8:30 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

I thought that’s what you might be referencing.  But both posts you quoted are about missed restoration.  I would hope that doesn’t fluctuate in the same way.:ohnoez:

Well, they are NOW unpredictable while they are flooded with countless ungraded books.

On 6/8/2022 at 9:27 PM, JollyComics said:

I just created the phrase instead writing a long explanation but I knew it is not clear.   Let's clarify it, some years, CGC graders were soft on the books and some years, they were harsh on the books so we can look at their tread through the different times.  Right now, they may be harsh, tight or off rhythm this year.

Do you think this may be related to who is actually grading the books?  hm