• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Does this seem a wee bit deceptive?
3 3

156 posts in this topic

On 5/11/2022 at 11:13 AM, Artboy99 said:

It is similar to the "small amount of color touch on cover" notation. I have looked at books that say this that have color touch all over the spine and in some parts of the central cover and in my opinion I would never say that quantity of color touch is "small".

Funny that you mention this.  This book is from the same purchase (to save money, customer over the years bought a number of lower-grade, restored, or qualified books if they were expensive keys).  Now unlike the other, I knew exactly what I was buying, because in hand it's obvious.  Still... label says "Slight (A)" under the apparent 5.5, and states "small amount of color touch on cover".  You might not be able to tell from the photo, but the color touch runs the entire length of the left side (up to 1/4" wide), runs across the top, runs down much of the right side, and in the gray across the bottom.  All 4 edges.  Isn't "small amount of color touch" the same notation they gave to 2 tiny dots on the recent Superman #1 sale?  (Anyway.. thus endeth my gripe-fest... except that I will say there was a thread earlier this year... not sure which... in which some posters had a hard time understanding why my customers would pay me near-graded prices for raw comics... well, here's exhibits A and B...)

20220511_111842.jpg

The wrong page listed is the really damning thing though, isn't it?  I mean, page means page, not leaf (I think I've only seen leafs mentioned when concerning marriage, if I'm not mistaken).  But who get recompensed, if anybody?  When was it graded originally, out of curiosity?  Imo, the label should've read "Wolverine cut out of last panel, page 32" or at the very least "large piece cut out of last page."

On 5/11/2022 at 10:31 AM, Bookery said:

Funny that you mention this.  This book is from the same purchase (to save money, customer over the years bought a number of lower-grade, restored, or qualified books if they were expensive keys).  Now unlike the other, I knew exactly what I was buying, because in hand it's obvious.  Still... label says "Slight (A)" under the apparent 5.5, and states "small amount of color touch on cover".  You might not be able to tell from the photo, but the color touch runs the entire length of the left side (up to 1/4" wide), runs across the top, runs down much of the right side, and in the gray across the bottom.  All 4 edges.  Isn't "small amount of color touch" the same notation they gave to 2 tiny dots on the recent Superman #1 sale?  (Anyway.. thus endeth my gripe-fest... except that I will say there was a thread earlier this year... not sure which... in which some posters had a hard time understanding why my customers would pay me near-graded prices for raw comics... well, here's exhibits A and B...)

20220511_111842.jpg

I've always assumed that they measured "small" amount of color touch based on the percentage of the entire cover, or some similarly crazy metric, and thus I figure anything with more than "small" color touch has pretty much just been repainted.

Oh, don't get me wrong.  Obviously the majority of CGC books are fine.  I grade a bit more conservative than CGC, especially on under-FN books, but that doesn't make one of us right and the other wrong.  But I don't think it hurts to point out inconsistencies when they arise, in the aim of fostering improvement.  The Wolverine is a one-off... not the kind of thing likely to be duplicated again.  I'd be more upset if I wasn't buying a large collection, so in the overall scheme of things, it's probably not that financially significant.  But I thought the gang here would find it amusing, if nothing else.  It goes to show that there's an infinite amount of weird problems that can happen to comics over the years.

On 5/11/2022 at 12:22 PM, Qalyar said:

That cutout page makes me think... isn't there some character whose first "appearance" is a cameo entirely in silhouette? One of the B-list DC villains, maybe?

This has definitely happened

Imagine being a kid back in the day. You miss grabbing Hulk 180 from the rack but your buddy has a copy so you trade for it because everyone is talking about this great new character. You rush home to read it and are flipping through and get to the last page and....your friend cut out Wolverine! So you STILL have no clue who he is or what he looks like!!!!!

On 5/11/2022 at 11:48 AM, The Lions Den said:

As far as I know, CGC graders have always counted pages the same way. Which is to say that a book like this would be described as having 16 pages, or "8 - 8" in CGC lingo...  :gossip:

Oh ok, I didn't realize the only count 16 pages (one page has a front and back) even though the page number is 32.  I guess I never had a green label other that one that said "Marvel value stamp missing" or "Manufacturing error."

Edited by Mystafo

On 5/11/2022 at 9:56 AM, Robot Man said:

Oh, man! That is incredible. Hard to believe they did not mention that. I guess we cannot even trust graded books anymore. You would have never known if you hadn’t cracked it. Very sorry…

As someone who cracks out all books, I haven't trusted them for years.