• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Does this seem a wee bit deceptive?
3 3

156 posts in this topic

On 5/11/2022 at 6:01 PM, Namtak said:

If it get signed and all,could pass for a cut out sketch ,they are popular these days(on covers thohm.

They're called die cut, but idk, I do get your point. Assuming any artist that would appear on the cgc yellow label has the....

cajones!

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

Action #1:
"7 pages missing"
You get the book.
its the entire superman story.
:pullhair:

On 5/11/2022 at 6:10 PM, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

Next few weeks we will probably see this Wolverine cut out slabbed by CGC noted as the 1st appearance of Wolverine, similar to how they did the piece of the Action Comics and called it a cover. 

Don don, law and order theme!  :banana:

On 5/11/2022 at 5:17 PM, Bookery said:

I would never send a book like this in to be graded.  I'm glad I broke it out... I would have been horrified to sell it to one of my customers only for them to find out years down the road this was what it was.  I'd rather lose a few hundred now than alienate a customer later.  Also, since I didn't realize what was meant by p.16 (even after all of these years, I have only owned a handful of qualified grades... and they stated exactly what was wrong, such as missing MVS).   I might have accidentally misrepresented what the potential problem might be.  As i said... I doubt if there is another copy on the planet with this particular flaw... so it should have been spelled out since it would be impossible to guess this was what was meant.

Thank you for having such a considerate and thoughtful nature...  (thumbsu

You may have elevated this particular book, and it's value, to cult status.  The legendary Wolverine cut out issue.  It would be a pretty fun one to own, I'd reslab it folded open so the missing Wolverine is in front.  But for maximum impact, CGC would have to reslab with the original grading label, which they may not be willing to do...

It's an interesting question, if that cut out is what made the entire book valuable to the point where you say the only value this book has now is for someone to buy to marry the cover (essentially assigning negligible value to all the other pages), would a CGC graded copy of just that wolverine cut out retain most of the full hulk 180 value then?

edit: and just to be clear, this is sort of in reply to a bunch of comments on the first page stating that the thing that gave this book most if not all of it's value has been removed. (and sort of a reference to the slabbed No.1 from Action 1 lol)

Edited by JC25427N
clarity

On 5/12/2022 at 2:09 AM, JC25427N said:

It's an interesting question, if that cut out is what made the entire book valuable to the point where you say the only value this book has now is for someone to buy to marry the cover (essentially assigning negligible value to all the other pages), would a CGC graded copy of just that wolverine cut out retain most of the full hulk 180 value then?

edit: and just to be clear, this is sort of in reply to a bunch of comments on the first page stating that the thing that gave this book most if not all of it's value has been removed. (and sort of a reference to the slabbed No.1 from Action 1 lol)

Sounds like a good plan.  Use the cover to salvage some of the dollars paid, CGC the last page to create an oddity, and recover the balance.  I like it....

They could insert that desiccant sheet (whatever it's called) so the cutout shows up better.  As @kav says, it could be notated as "7 pages missing".

On 5/11/2022 at 7:04 PM, kav said:

Action #1:
"7 pages missing"
You get the book.
its the entire superman story.
:pullhair:

Yes... but in that case you still get the 1st app. of Sticky-Mitt Stimson, so it's all good.  With the Hulk 180 situation... you don't get a 1st app. of nobody!

On 5/12/2022 at 2:09 AM, JC25427N said:

Hmmm.  hm

There's an angle that's not been mentioned yet... I wonder why someone would send-in a book like this to be graded in the first place?  There was no way the sender could anticipate how the label would read.  The only "value" the book has is as a curiosity... which is negated if you can't see the problem.  I would assume the sender requested the "qualified" grade?  Otherwise, it would get what... a 0.5 incomplete?  I've never sent a qualified book to CGC, so not entirely sure how this works.

On 5/12/2022 at 8:46 AM, Bookery said:

There's an angle that's not been mentioned yet... I wonder why someone would send-in a book like this to be graded in the first place?  There was no way the sender could anticipate how the label would read.  The only "value" the book has is as a curiosity... which is negated if you can't see the problem.  I would assume the sender requested the "qualified" grade?  Otherwise, it would get what... a 0.5 incomplete?  I've never sent a qualified book to CGC, so not entirely sure how this works.

Maybe the "value" of the book for them was encapsulating a book he likes, for protection. 

A lot of people do that.  I have. 

Could also be that the submitter didn't know. 

Edited by Sigur Ros

On 5/12/2022 at 7:22 AM, The Lions Den said:

Other than situations like the one in this thread, is there any particular reason why?   hm

I'll tell ya'll a little story.  Years back a co-worker (also a comic book fan) and I each sent in a Hulk 181 to Joe @ CFP be pressed and sent on to CGC to be graded.  His book had the mvs cut out and mine was unrestored.  We both used my shop as the return shipping address so we could be present to receive and sign for our graded books.  Now, his book had a tiny number written in pencil on the cover and mine had a recognizable slight miswrap, so we could tell which book was missing the mvs just by looking at the cover.  When we got our package in from CGC some time later, we were shocked to see his 181 come back in a blue holder 8.0 and my unrestored 181 come back in a green label 8.5...turned out the books were accidentally put into each other's holder mine was supposed to be the 8.0 blue and his the 8.5 green.  I couldn't understand how this happened as I was under the impression that every book was looked at on its own, without knowing what other books it was sent in with.  CGC had us send them back and swapped the books as well as gave us a credit, but imagine if he and I couldn't tell out books apart from the covers or if we hadn't have known each other!

Edited by Mystafo

On 5/12/2022 at 10:49 AM, Mystafo said:

I'll tell ya'll a little story.  Years back a co-worker (also a comic book fan) and I each sent in a Hulk 181 to Joe @ CFP be pressed and sent on to CGC to be graded.  His book had the mvs cut out and mine was unrestored.  We both used my shop as the return shipping address so we could be present to receive and sign for our graded books.  Now, his book had a tiny number written in pencil on the cover and mine had a recognizable slight miswrap, so we could tell which book was missing the mvs just by looking at the cover.  When we got our package in from CGC some time later, we were shocked to see his 181 come back in a blue holder 8.0 and my unrestored 181 come back in a green label 8.5...turned out the books were accidentally put into each other's holder mine was supposed to be the 8.0 blue and his the 8.5 green.  I couldn't understand how this happened as I was under the impression that every book was looked at on its own, without knowing what other books it was sent in with.  CGC had us send them back and swapped the books as well as gave us a credit, but imagine if he and I couldn't tell out books apart from the covers or if we hadn't have known each other!

Imagine all the people who have sent books in and been surprised with green or purple labels, and just assumed the graders knew what they were talking about and accepted it. 

Of course, most of the time they get things right, but we see all the failures in the other threads, here and elsewhere, that prove it's not all that uncommon. 

On 5/12/2022 at 10:49 AM, Mystafo said:

I always appreciate a good story...  :)

Unfortunately, things like this do happen, but I'm glad they made it right. And yeah, anytime invoices get mixed up it's a problem...

On 5/12/2022 at 8:46 AM, Bookery said:

There could be a few different reasons why someone would submit a book like this---it's tough to say for sure. 

But while this book still illustrates why the Qualified label was created in the first place, this is one of those unfortunate cases where it's tough to see an upside...