• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Does this seem a wee bit deceptive?
3 3

156 posts in this topic

On 6/8/2022 at 9:29 PM, JollyComics said:

Did you keep the old label?

I may have, I'd have to dig thru some stuff to find it.  

Here's the before and after pics.  I should have left it alone.  It was a loosely graded 2.0 so even with a press I don't think it would have improved, but still, getting a PLOD hurt.

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Edited by gadzukes

On 6/8/2022 at 5:44 PM, gadzukes said:

I deslabbed an Avengers 1 2.0 Universal that had a cracked case.  I was going to just send it but I noticed it had a ton of "pressable defects" so I fully took it out and pressed it and sent it back in..... It came back as a PLOD (bottom edge trimmed).  They missed the trim the 1st time thru.  If I would have just done a straight reholder they would have given me a Blue label.  :facepalm:

How are you sure they missed the trim the first time?  Seems possible the book wasn’t trimmed at all.hm

On 6/8/2022 at 9:06 PM, gadzukes said:

I may have, I'd have to dig thru some stuff to find it.  

Here's the before and after pics.  I should have left it alone.  It was a loosely graded 2.0 so even with a press I don't think it would have improved, but still, getting a PLOD hurt.

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

I hope they mislabeled it but I really hope you find the label.

On 6/8/2022 at 10:12 PM, JollyComics said:

I hope they mislabeled it but I really hope you find the label.

It doesn't matter if I find the label or not.  I fully took it out of the inner well to press it (dumb move on my part in retrospect).

Once you remove it from the inner well all bets are off.  They regrade... and they found the bottom cover was trimmed on the second go around.

It sucks, but at least it wasn't a $20,000 comic.

I seem to remember a JIM 83 high grade having this same issue.  The buyer dec ided to do a CPR on it and it came back as a PLOD (trimmed like mine).  The buyer probably lost $10,000-$20,000 because of the PLOD and was super upset (understandably). It was very embarrassing for CGC, cuz it caused a big hubbub.  There's a thread somewhere on the boards about it.

On 6/8/2022 at 10:36 PM, gadzukes said:

I personally don't think it was trimmed, but....... they must have detected something

I sold a 6.5 PLOD GSX1 on the boards last year. Buyer did a clean/press and resubbed; came back 6.5 universal

On 6/8/2022 at 10:43 PM, B2D327 said:

I sold a 6.5 PLOD GSX1 on the boards last year. Buyer did a clean/press and resubbed; came back 6.5 universal

Oh man..... did you feel screwed?  You lost a lot of money then.  What was the Plod note?

Edited by gadzukes

On 6/8/2022 at 11:02 PM, gadzukes said:

Oh man..... did you feel screwed?  You lost a lot of money then.  What was the Plod note?

Not at all. I got it at a decent price and flipped it for a profit I was happy with. I was also happy for the buyer. He took a chance and it worked out for him. Notes were: 6.5 Restored- apparent. Trimmed on all 3 sides. It sat in the marketplace thread for close to a month before it sold

On 6/8/2022 at 10:14 PM, B2D327 said:

Notes were: 6.5 Restored- apparent. Trimmed on all 3 sides. It sat in the marketplace thread for close to a month before it sold

So was it actually NOT trimmed and the original label was wrong, or was it actually trimmed, and CGC failed to notice the trimming on any of the three trimmed sides the second time through?

On 6/8/2022 at 11:56 PM, Axe Elf said:

So was it actually NOT trimmed and the original label was wrong, or was it actually trimmed, and CGC failed to notice the trimming on any of the three trimmed sides the second time through?

The original owner that I’d got it from had it for a few years before he decided to get it slabbed and according to him, the lcs he got it from sold it as a raw unrestored. Because he’d waited so long to sub, he really couldn’t open a claim and decided to bite the bullet. We agreed on a price as I also did when I sold it. The current owner would have to crack it again and resub but why would he take that chance? Personally, I didn’t feel it was trimmed either but I preferred to leave it in the plod slab just to avoid any headache. Since all parties involved were happy in the end, I don’t see the need to open Pandora’s box but my hands are clean in the event of any future drama

On 6/8/2022 at 11:32 PM, B2D327 said:

The original owner that I’d got it from had it for a few years before he decided to get it slabbed and according to him, the lcs he got it from sold it as a raw unrestored. Because he’d waited so long to sub, he really couldn’t open a claim and decided to bite the bullet. We agreed on a price as I also did when I sold it. The current owner would have to crack it again and resub but why would he take that chance? Personally, I didn’t feel it was trimmed either but I preferred to leave it in the plod slab just to avoid any headache. Since all parties involved were happy in the end, I don’t see the need to open Pandora’s box but my hands are clean in the event of any future drama

Awesome perspective!

And curiouser and curiouser that nobody REALLY knows if it's REALLY trimmed, despite having made at least TWO trips through the Certified Guaranty Company!!!

You can't make this stuff up.

On 6/8/2022 at 8:57 PM, JollyComics said:

It depends on who are on the team.  I have heard some good, bad and ugly team.

Show Down Clint Eastwood GIF

On 6/8/2022 at 9:04 PM, The Lions Den said:

And the team is constantly changing...

CreativeAggressiveAfricanharrierhawk-max-1mb.gif.63f2a7454bde1a880dbcd738deddb065.gif

On 6/8/2022 at 9:43 PM, B2D327 said:

Yikes!  Some are lucky and some are unlucky. Technically, it’s still good, bad and ugly.