• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Does this seem a wee bit deceptive?
3 3

156 posts in this topic

Part 1 --

Have been buying a large collection from a customer, which he's been bringing in groups.  Lots of both raw and slabbed comics.  One of the comics I picked up was this qualified Hulk 180.

On the label it states "large piece cut out of page 16, affects story, incomplete".  Fair enough.  I figure a standard 7.0 is going for around $1400.  This is an incomplete book, but I looked up p.16 on line and it's NOT the marvel stamp page.  It's a hot book with the first app. of Wolverine, the Marvel stamp is present, even with a chunk out of an interior page (I'm guessing a large corner piece got torn off which goes into one or more panels), so I guess I might get $600 and pay $450.  Afterward, I break it out of the slab, because any potential customer is going to want to see for themselves how big a piece is missing, and whether they can live with it or not.  Here is a photo of the de-slabbed book, but with its label above...

Hulk1.jpg

Oh...wow. That is a new on to me. How odd. They literally cut out the thing that made the book valuable. 

Wow hahaha

So yeah....while I don't expect CGC to note exactly what is cut out, I should think that in this case they should have put "entire image of Wolverine cut out from Page 16" somewhere in the notes at least

Moreso the question is now what the heck does this even sell for? Inquiring minds want to know!

On 5/11/2022 at 10:57 AM, 1Cool said:

In what way?  Should they have said "wolverine cut out with great precision"?  

Yes

Is that asking too much? I think not. I don't know how they enter grader notes in but one would assume they have a database of prepopulated comments they select (if they don't they really should for efficiency and simplicity). All you would need are the following comments for interior cutouts

"missing Marvel Value stamp"

"missing ad cut out, affects/does not affects story"

"image cut out on Page ___, affects/does not affect story"

"large chunk missing from interior page, affects/does not affect story"

Boom...grader selects comment 3 in this case, edits to say affects and maybe in brackets puts (Wolverine)

On 5/11/2022 at 10:58 AM, comicginger1789 said:

Moreso the question is now what the heck does this even sell for? Inquiring minds want to know!

I assume the only value it would have is for the cover, in case someone wants to marry it to a coverless copy.

Wow. Like you said, the single thing that makes that book valuable has been removed. I think that the right thing for CGC to have done is similar to how they call out specific PCH notes like "Hanging panel", etc: they should have said "Wolverine panel cut out" or "Wolverine panel removed" - on the opposite side of the argument, on an undamaged #180 it should say "Wolverine panel." to be consistent with that way of notation.

I think they probably want to avoid specifics because those specifics are subjective to the collector. However, something that makes this issue significant should have been noted - both ways. I imagine that would be really hard to maintain amongst all the graders - but there has to be a "chief" grader that other graders could defer to that could make the determination or to maintain the consistency of the label. I know that sounds simplistic, but it's basically a matter of quality control.

Edited by Dr. Balls

I agree that the information should be more specific.

It is similar to the "small amount of color touch on cover" notation. I have looked at books that say this that have color touch all over the spine and in some parts of the central cover and in my opinion I would never say that quantity of color touch is "small".

In this example I think it is important to say "Wolverine cut out from last page" rather than "Large piece cut out"

On 5/11/2022 at 10:21 AM, Qalyar said:

Honestly, they usually try to be content-neutral in their condition descriptions, and I understand that. The biggest problem here was the failure to recognize the difference between pages and folds. This problem could have been avoided by citing the page number correctly, or even just going with "last page", a notation they have used elsewhere.

At least whoever cut that book used razor precision to de-Wolverine it, so you've still got a recognizable silhouette of the character. It's like "Who's that Pokemon?" but with mutants.

That he does lol 

It's a shame though... :sorry: