• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Selling your eBay store on eBay?
2 2

36 posts in this topic

On 5/12/2022 at 8:47 PM, Callaway29 said:

Not disagreeing, place is hot mess, but I’ve seen the vertical box setup used for sorting/cataloging/organizing before… 

I've used that system to pull junk/bulk comics from collections I have purchased, but I always did it on a bench, not on the floor where it could be toppled. 

If you tip the box back a bit on an angle by putting something under the top front, you can stack them as high as the box allows, which would not happen on a raw stack.  Without the box, you have to transfer the stack periodically, when the comics want to slide off.

If you use the box horizontally, you constantly have to nudge the comics together, keep them from sliding down into the open section of the box etc.  Also, by putting it on its end, you can get the maximum number of comics in the box.  Gravity helps to compress the stack better than trying to do it horizontally.  No air gaps.

On 5/12/2022 at 3:24 PM, Stefan_W said:

The long boxes on their sides with comics stacked without bags or boards make me cringe and sob a little. 

I store my raw comic books a bit like that, but with the boxes upside down. :wink:

Yes, the storage of the comic books leaves a lot to be desired. It may be that the amount of comic books overwhelmed the individual/company at some point and storing them properly was in free-fall after that. Thankfully, I always manage to avoid being overwhelmed by my comic books (that sounds a bit weird) by immediately or soon thereafter bagging, boarding, and boxing them as they arrive.

On 5/12/2022 at 9:42 PM, Math Teacher said:

I stand corrected.

I think many of us have and, in my limited experience, the comic book stores that I have visited with that storage method are as messy as the picture of the warehouse included in this thread and a great many of the back issue comic books were in the VG (4.0) to VG/F (5.0). Heck, at some stores even the just released comic books were strewn about. I will confess, however, that I did manage to still find what became gems much later on at most of those stores. Of course, at the time most of the back issue comic books that I purchased, at least those that I recall, were "basically worthless."