• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Low-grade collectors: is a detached cover a dealbreaker?
3 3

58 posts in this topic

On 5/19/2022 at 12:06 PM, Sauce Dog said:

A repair can be conserved label (blue/grey, which I prefer as this will be the most structurally sound) but it also is possible a repair will get a pure universal label (several methods to do this). I am truly baffled by people who choose to just slab a super low book just to get a low grade number (when the book could just be kept in archive sleeves or repaired outright to better preserve the item and THEN graded)

I have been gone from the boards about 7 years, so forgive my ignorance: is there now a CGC “conserved” label? 

On 5/19/2022 at 12:34 PM, Math Teacher said:

I can appreciate how some people want to be able to read a book at a moment's notice. If that's what floats your boat, so be it.

This is where I’m at as well. I’m ok reading collected works and not “the real thing” because it’s in the slab. I, too, had a chance to read my coverless copy of AF15 before I sold it way back when and that was good enough for me. 
Count me as one of the collectors who likes the look of a slabbed book. Speaking for myself, I don’t anticipate a huge PCH collection, so I like the idea of graded books because I’ll be able to display them. And bringing it back around to the original question - this is why I don’t mind detached covers!

On 5/19/2022 at 3:24 PM, Dr. Balls said:

I have been gone from the boards about 7 years, so forgive my ignorance: is there now a CGC “conserved” label? 

Yes.

So if something is done that is falls into the definition of conservation over restoration it gets that conserved label.  Color touch still gets restoration but if you clean the staples so they don't rust that conservation.  According to their website: 

"These repairs include tear seals support, staple replacement, piece reattachment and certain kinds of cleaning."

https://www.cgccomics.com/grading/labels/

On 5/19/2022 at 4:25 PM, Buzzetta said:

Yes.

So if something is done that is falls into the definition of conservation over restoration it gets that conserved label.  Color touch still gets restoration but if you clean the staples so they don't rust that conservation.  According to their website: 

"These repairs include tear seals support, staple replacement, piece reattachment and certain kinds of cleaning."

https://www.cgccomics.com/grading/labels/

:applause:

That’s awesome. Good on those guys!

On 5/19/2022 at 6:35 PM, Dr. Balls said:

:applause:

That’s awesome. Good on those guys!

I am way more impressed with your burger menu to be honest.  Glad to see things are going well. 

On 5/19/2022 at 12:05 PM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

Hells no. Not a dealbreaker. I’ll take the hidden defect over the obvious defect every time.

better eye appeal compared to assigned grade? Of course!

same answer for detached centerfolds

31B7F653-56DC-4724-94ED-46FE13232EB7.jpeg

I've always liked this cover and at the same time I've always wondered why the Nazis needed a sign written in English telling them which way to point the cannon.   lol

I collect to read, so a detached cover doesn't bother me in the least, as long as the asking or hammer price reflects the defect.  I have been known to somewhat  invisibly re-attach covers & CF's as well.  The only time I go to one of the websites where GA books can be read, is to determine if there is at least one story good enough to justify buying the book.  Plastic slab covers do not last long here.

On 5/19/2022 at 4:58 PM, Buzzetta said:

I am way more impressed with your burger menu to be honest.  Glad to see things are going well. 

(worship) Thanks! I ended up with a pretty good creative outlet for myself. I love slingin' burgers!

On 5/19/2022 at 5:54 PM, circumstances said:

I've never been a low grade collector, but much of my collecting life was spent looking for key or rare (or key and rare) golden age.

I don't go looking for them, but I'd never say no to a deal on a book with a detached cover.

Judging by your signature, I'd say you've got a pretty sweet collecting focus!

On 5/19/2022 at 4:36 PM, Courageous Cat said:

yea, but wheres the split cover thread (shrug)

Yeah, split covers are USUALLY a no-go for me, but there's always an exception - that is, the price can't be beat!  I just recently bought an extremely affordable FF #26 with a completely split spine for about $30, that presents great in Mylar.  I now have every issue of FF Vol. 1 from #26 up, excluding #45, 46, 48 & 49.  I've all but given up on those  :(  

On 5/19/2022 at 8:06 PM, Dr. Balls said:

Judging by your signature, I'd say you've got a pretty sweet collecting focus!

Thanks!

I haven't collected since the late 90s, but I had a good 10 year stretch (until the market went wacky about a year ago) picking up random gold that fell through the cracks.