• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Low-grade collectors: is a detached cover a dealbreaker?
3 3

58 posts in this topic

On 5/19/2022 at 4:33 PM, ThothAmon said:

Spine splits are way worse (but I’ve got plenty of examples of those also).       

Agreed.  But spine splits are crazy common on EC’s and that fact has let me put together a collection of nearly half the new trend issues (and all the new direction).

On 5/19/2022 at 6:09 PM, djzombi said:

OMG your license plate - that game is SO HARD!
Big classic arcade game enthusiast here.  

:cheers:

16C3B3B0-AE9C-435A-9C53-D0AC07BD6891.jpeg

I don't like detached covers, but like all have discussed, it depends on the book and the price.  I've seen nice Archie #1s (a single staple book) that are detached and then graded a 3.0.  That seems pretty typical for GA.

On 5/19/2022 at 2:31 PM, Dr. Balls said:

Count me as one of the collectors who likes the look of a slabbed book. Speaking for myself, so I like the idea of graded books because I’ll be able to display them. 

You're not the only one, as I feel that way also.

On 5/19/2022 at 7:09 PM, djzombi said:

OMG your license plate - that game is SO HARD!
Big classic arcade game enthusiast here.  

I have a console in our basement that has 60 classic arcade games, such as Pac-Man, Frogger, Space Invaders (God knows how many quarters I put into this machine), Galaga, Donkey Kong, Centipede, Dig Dug, and Burger Time. I have always found Burger Time difficult; I know that I have never gotten past level 3. On the plus side, my 5-year-old grandson loves playing these games with me.

On 5/20/2022 at 8:59 AM, ft88 said:

I don't like detached covers, but like all have discussed, it depends on the book and the price.  I've seen nice Archie #1s (a single staple book) that are detached and then graded a 3.0.  That seems pretty typical for GA.

I've noticed that as well. And 3.0 with a detached cover probably has a lot of really good upper-grade qualities to it, with the cover being the main thing that brings it down.

On 5/19/2022 at 11:18 PM, AJD said:

I bought this book for next to nothing. The cover is completely split and detached but the internals are in great shape and easy to read, and it presents great in a mylar. No regrets!

large.5ad5a0d134c16_BlackTerror2.jpg.10e7d5184a80c15153b6e3b7f2c14c29.jpg

I guess it depends on what “next to nothing” means. I’d have no problem with a book like that. Nice score!

I don't have a problem with detached covers, especially if they have nice eye appeal. I prefer them to covers that have been taped, and certainly glued back on, including ones that have been re-attached by putting tape on the inside of the spine and running the staples back through (which often results in a grade bump without a conserved label)

I can understand mid grade and up collectors not liking them, as structural integrity gets more important in higher grades, but given the choice between a detached 4.0 with vibrant colors and strong eye-appeal and an attached 7.0 with dulled colors and a dust shadow, I'll take the 4.0 every time. 

On 5/21/2022 at 10:56 PM, Dark Knight said:

Love em!  Here's one of my favorite ones that I own.  Look at the eye appeal on this one.  

Marvel Mystery Comics #9 CGC 1.5.jpg

I once had a nice front cover and found a complete coverless copy for it. Sadly, I sold it. Now the money is long gone and as well as that cool book…:sorry: