• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Custom labels (New, old and retired)
2 2

7 posts in this topic

I do appreciate the custom labels. It gives the owner an opportunity to add another dimension to the slab. Now that CGC has created new labels and are retiring others, I wanted to say can't we have them all? Is there any true need to "retire" custom labels, as they do seem to be a hit with most collectors. I find them to be unique differentiators among the rather small group of grading companies. Since they are unique to CGC, I say keep them all. Give your customers the opportunity to continue to use them. Well. that's just my 2 cents worth. 

Hi I have a signed book with a custom label...but it's now retired.  It's a journey into mystery with Tom Hiddleston's signature, but now I'd love to get Benedict Cumberbatch's on the same book...it does have a pic of Dr. Strange on the cover with an "also appearing" blurb....I guess I am going to lose the Thor custom label if I resubmit?  Or do you keep a few of the retired around for this type of issue?

• Administrator
On 7/29/2022 at 3:03 PM, cpauer said:

Hi I have a signed book with a custom label...but it's now retired.  It's a journey into mystery with Tom Hiddleston's signature, but now I'd love to get Benedict Cumberbatch's on the same book...it does have a pic of Dr. Strange on the cover with an "also appearing" blurb....I guess I am going to lose the Thor custom label if I resubmit?  Or do you keep a few of the retired around for this type of issue?

Hello! If you are sending a book in for another signing it would loose its current custom label. Once a label is retired, it is no longer able to be requested for new submissions. We do keep a very limited stock of labels on hand for some time after they are retired for the books we have in the facility that requested them, and books that are coming back for Mechanical Error services. We apologize for this inconvenience. 

Interesting to see the replies. I suppose GAARD is less thrilled with custom labels but to each their own. Of course, the regular CGC labels look good but it's the option and distinction that I like about custom labels. The additional fee for them is negligible and I especially like them on my Silver age books. BTW, if anyone has ASM #50, please read my childhood letter to the editor. It's on the left page, bottom left. Stan called me Joey. I was 12 at the time. 

Stan Lee ll.jpg