• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Replica
4 4

36 posts in this topic

Sorry if this has been a topic before.  I only just saw this guys newsprint replicas on Ebay the other day.  They look kind of cool.  Sort of like the Alan Light books of the 70s. 

But wouldn't you think that Marvel or DC would not like this?  Then he has a couple that he sold as slabs (but it looks like he created them himself)

https://www.ebay.com/sch/m.html?item=394075310292&_ssn=pattysnakes&_osacat=0&_odkw=&_from=R40&_trksid=p2046732.m570.l1313&_nkw=replica&_sacat=0

On 5/23/2022 at 11:52 AM, toro said:

Sorry if this has been a topic before.  I only just saw this guys newsprint replicas on Ebay the other day.  They look kind of cool.  Sort of like the Alan Light books of the 70s. 

But wouldn't you think that Marvel or DC would not like this?  Then he has a couple that he sold as slabs (but it looks like he created them himself)

https://www.ebay.com/sch/m.html?item=394075310292&_ssn=pattysnakes&_osacat=0&_odkw=&_from=R40&_trksid=p2046732.m570.l1313&_nkw=replica&_sacat=0

As we discussed this seller on the CBCS forum last week, if someone from their law teams is bored enough, they'll alert eBay and eBay will shut them down.   Then the guy will just come back under a different name.  People have been selling repros on eBay for a long, long time. 

Disney and Warner have bigger fish to fry.  It's not like these are keeping them from selling those issues.  

I have a bigger problem with his photography than his reprinting. At least he's stating "replica" in the listing title. 

Doing this to a new book this Tuesday and listing it might be a different story. 

Edited by Sigur Ros

I thought at first the guy used that other grading company when I saw this, the one that lets you pick the color of your label.

tec27.jpg

Edited by toro

On 5/23/2022 at 3:48 PM, toro said:

I thought at first the guy used that other grading company when I saw this, the one that lets you pick the color of your label.

Image 1 - Detective Comics #27 "Slabbed" Newsprint replica prop

Those are just Comicskins. You can make your own label and print it off easy peasy. I use them for a few books I don't really need to get graded but like to display with the other books (and can swap out the books & labels whenever I get bored of em)

On 5/23/2022 at 8:13 PM, Pontoon said:

Are these the same as facesmiles?

Face smiles, like a good book, can bring joy to your day. Takes more muscles to frown than to smile!

Facsimiles however are official reprints from the publisher, this is some random 3rd party who is printing their own replicas. Essentially you could believe physically they are the same thing, the difference is who made the reprint.

edit: and before someone decides to be a logic lord and bring up the dictionary definition of facsimile, I'm talking about facsimiles in the context of what a person who collects comics would think of, aka facsimile editions

Edited by JC25427N

On 5/23/2022 at 8:43 PM, JC25427N said:

Face smiles, like a good book, can bring joy to your day. Takes more muscles to frown than to smile!

Facsimiles however are official reprints from the publisher, this is some random 3rd party who is printing their own replicas. Essentially you could believe physically they are the same thing, the difference is who made the reprint.

edit: and before someone decides to be a logic lord and bring up the dictionary definition of facsimile, I'm talking about facsimiles in the context of what a person who collects comics would think of, aka facsimile editions

:gossip:

On 5/23/2022 at 8:13 PM, Pontoon said:

Are these the same as facesmiles?

These are facsimiles. 

They just aren't authorized. 

Nor are they on the same paper type. 

Actually, these are more accurate facsimiles because the official versions have differences like bar codes, or current price tags, etc. 

Edited by Sigur Ros